The later albums?

2 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

There's far too much hate for ITTOD. It kinda makes sense for this band to follow up Presence (no keyboards) with ITTOD (keys on every track). Zeppelin never repeated themselves on record, that in itself, is a very very rare thing. For Led Zeppelin, ITTOD was a shit record, anybody else would have killed for a shit record like that. I'm sure it sold well beyond Presence...easily. 

You might say ITTOD was the only record Zeppelin could have made, in the state they were in in late 1978.

40 minutes ago, 76229 said:

ITTOD was the only record Zeppelin could have made, in the state they were in in late 1978.

...I have a mixtape from the 80s that includes Darlene, Ozone Baby, Wearing & Tearing.  It is hard for me to listen to ITTOD without them.

1. Wearing & Tearing
2. Ozone Baby
3. Southbound Suarez
4. Hot Dog
5. Darlene
6. Fool in the Rain
7. I'm Gonna Crawl
8. All My Love
9. In the Evening
10.Carouselambra

obviously that would not fit on a single LP but it was a heck of a mixtape to do yardwork or to play in the garage. I had a blue fronted amazon parrot in the 80s and she could mime some of Darlene... and she got the boogie on Southbound Suarez.  Good times those.

im probably in the minority but i prefer ittod over presence. i pretty much like every song on ittod, not a huge fan of candy store rock and tea for one is my least favorite led zep song. 

i think if jimmy wasnt so whacked out on heroin ittod wouldnt have been so keyboard driven. if they stayed together in the 80s i seriously doubt they were gonna turn into styx or journey. 

19 hours ago, IpMan said:

But of course, next stop for Zep in the 80's...keytars and synth drums. They would have sounded like Technical Ecstasy Sabbath after getting anal probed by the Thompson Twins.

Um, no. If Bonzo would have lived I still hold they would have broken up after the 81' leg of the NA tour. Robert was done.

Actually I tend to compare Presence and Technical Ecstasy;  both albums have a very negative vibe, reflecting the state of the bands at the time, and are both generally underappreciated and/or unfairly maligned.  (Unlike Presence, Technical Ecstasy does have a few clunkers, so not surprising it's often dismissed.)  Similarly, Never Say Die, like ITTOD, is crap for the most part.

1 hour ago, corduroyg said:

im probably in the minority but i prefer ittod over presence. i pretty much like every song on ittod, not a huge fan of candy store rock and tea for one is my least favorite led zep song. 

i think if jimmy wasnt so whacked out on heroin ittod wouldnt have been so keyboard driven. if they stayed together in the 80s i seriously doubt they were gonna turn into styx or journey. 

Probably not Styx or Journey clones, but they definitely would have reflected that milieu.  They probably wouldn't have been much different from Plant's solo work, perhaps a few more rockers had Jimmy managed to get clean.

15 hours ago, Mook said:

Some things sound timeless however, like a piano, a Hammond organ or a Fender Rhodes.

The synth used on ITTOD sounds very 'of its time'. Whether that means it's cheesy or not is up to the listener I suppose.

They're considered timeless now, but there was a time back in the 80's when they were considered dated ( well maybe not the piano)

33 minutes ago, babysquid said:

They're considered timeless now, but there was a time back in the 80's when they were considered dated ( well maybe not the piano)

I know but the 80s were horrific.

I was only a kid at the time but I'm sure there were some clued up people in the 80s listening to Jimmy Smith & electric period Miles Davis.

16 hours ago, IpMan said:

Claiming ITTOD has cheesy keyboards, 38 years after it's release is a bit disingenuous is it not.

Well, first of all, the OP poorly titled his thread. I wouldn't have even come in here if I'd known from the title the thread's purpose was too dis on all of the LZ songs not liked from the later albums....

I don't think the OP even defined what the "later" albums were...

That said, I have come to love Carouselambra over the years, it's really grown on me, and, I can say I'd love to hear it performed live, if that occasion ever arose.

Presence rocks hard, the songs themselves may not be their best, but damn, Bonzo and Jimmy sound incredible so it's a winner.

ITTOD I don't have a problem with.  I think it was a bit of a "Zep 3" a transitional album.  I do not believe Zep would've morphed into a cheesy 80s synth act. Listen to the Firm and Outrider, those are guitar heavy projects, Jimmy had regained control of the band by the 80 Tour.  

Robert may well have left temporarily to do a solo project to scratch whatever itch he had, but had Bonzo lived, he NEVER would've escaped Zep shadow, not by a billion miles. Ask Mick Jagger how his solo career turned out.

48 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

Presence rocks hard, the songs themselves may not be their best, but damn, Bonzo and Jimmy sound incredible so it's a winner.

ITTOD I don't have a problem with.  I think it was a bit of a "Zep 3" a transitional album.  I do not believe Zep would've morphed into a cheesy 80s synth act. Listen to the Firm and Outrider, those are guitar heavy projects, Jimmy had regained control of the band by the 80 Tour.  

Robert may well have left temporarily to do a solo project to scratch whatever itch he had, but had Bonzo lived, he NEVER would've escaped Zep shadow, not by a billion miles. Ask Mick Jagger how his solo career turned out.

Related image

15 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Probably not Styx or Journey clones, but they definitely would have reflected that milieu.  They probably wouldn't have been much different from Plant's solo work, perhaps a few more rockers had Jimmy managed to get clean.

yea it all would have depended on jimmy, but i doubt they would have stayed together if jimmy continued to be a heroin addict, robert wasnt gonna continue down that road. if they stayed together assuming jimmy got clean i dont think we'd see another ittod. obviously thered be some influence of the times but it would have rocked alot harder than plant's solo stuff. 

On 6/8/2017 at 10:08 AM, blindwillie127 said:

There's far too much hate for ITTOD. It kinda makes sense for this band to follow up Presence (no keyboards) with ITTOD (keys on every track). Zeppelin never repeated themselves on record, that in itself, is a very very rare thing. For Led Zeppelin, ITTOD was a shit record, anybody else would have killed for a shit record like that. I'm sure it sold well beyond Presence...easily. 

its a weak LP in many places

To me the only weak album is CODA, and as we all know it does not really qualify as an album but rather as a collection of outtakes.

So taking CODA away I would probably rank ITTOD as the lowest of the 8 albums.  But the 7 albums above it are pretty awesome.  ITTOR is not a terrible album, just not their best work

On 6/8/2017 at 1:33 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

...I have a mixtape from the 80s that includes Darlene, Ozone Baby, Wearing & Tearing.  It is hard for me to listen to ITTOD without them.

1. Wearing & Tearing
2. Ozone Baby
3. Southbound Suarez
4. Hot Dog
5. Darlene
6. Fool in the Rain
7. I'm Gonna Crawl
8. All My Love
9. In the Evening
10.Carouselambra

obviously that would not fit on a single LP but it was a heck of a mixtape to do yardwork or to play in the garage. I had a blue fronted amazon parrot in the 80s and she could mime some of Darlene... and she got the boogie on Southbound Suarez.  Good times those.

Whats up DK?!?! You know Ive never put together a mix tape of ITTOD sessions but I think its time. . What happened to the boogie bird??:):)

I love all the albums from Zep 1 to PG.  Presence has ALS/FYL/NFBM are the only songs I like.  ITTOD has ITE/FITR/C/IGC thats it for me.  I feel like ITTOD with the exception of Bonzo.  Its like Zep aged overnight.  Pages Guitar army sounds thin and does not roar.  Robert Plant sounds good but tired.  JPJ is good but ever his energy is lower.  Notice how rare it is for Zep when they do reunions or in solo shows.  They don't do songs from that era.  

Don't shoot me, but I think Presence sounds tired as fuck. The history behind the making of the album is more interesting than the music in it. ALS and NFBM are certified classics, of course, while FYL is an underrated (albeit a tad repetitive) gem with a very nasty vibe to it, but the rest? Royal Orleans and Hots On For Nowhere are lightweight funk, not bad but certainly filler material, Candy Store Rock is one of the blandest, dullest rockers they ever recorded (and unlike the aforementioned two, its riff is really uninteresting and generic) and easily the weakest here, while the only use for TFO was to use some of its guitar licks for SIBLY on stage. Again, it's not bad (the guitar works at times is marvelous), but on the whole feels to be meandering. It is nowhere near as gripping and passionate as SIBLY or IGC.

Now feel free to lynch me :P

ITTOD isn't that bad, but Carouselambra and Hot Dog are cringe-worthy beyond imagination. I cannot even describe it. 

Coda is worthy only for Poor Tom, a song so cool it should have been on the third album instead of Hats Off. The two live cuts are available on DVD. The rest is flat, boring, generic hard rock. Zep were infinitely better than "Wearing And Tearing" and "Darlene". Really.

1 hour ago, jimtriantafyllou97@gmail.c said:

Don't shoot me, but I think Presence sounds tired as fuck. The history behind the making of the album is more interesting than the music in it. ALS and NFBM are certified classics, of course, while FYL is an underrated (albeit a tad repetitive) gem with a very nasty vibe to it, but the rest? Royal Orleans and Hots On For Nowhere are lightweight funk, not bad but certainly filler material, Candy Store Rock is one of the blandest, dullest rockers they ever recorded (and unlike the aforementioned two, its riff is really uninteresting and generic) and easily the weakest here, while the only use for TFO was to use some of its guitar licks for SIBLY on stage. Again, it's not bad (the guitar works at times is marvelous), but on the whole feels to be meandering. It is nowhere near as gripping and passionate as SIBLY or IGC.

Now feel free to lynch me :P

ITTOD isn't that bad, but Carouselambra and Hot Dog are cringe-worthy beyond imagination. I cannot even describe it. 

Coda is worthy only for Poor Tom, a song so cool it should have been on the third album instead of Hats Off. The two live cuts are available on DVD. The rest is flat, boring, generic hard rock. Zep were infinitely better than "Wearing And Tearing" and "Darlene". Really.

You right, I don't agree with you but that's cool because music is subjective. Funny, as I think both HOFN & RO are my favorite tracks on the album right behind ALS but that is me. I also love Caouselambra & Hot Dog but again, I am weird. The songs I never really liked off of ITTOD are South Bound Suarez though I understand what they were going for and they did a good job with it, I am just not a big fan of New Orleans style boogie no matter who does it. The other is All My Love and this song just sucks IMO and is the bottom five of Zep tunes for me. Why? Not just because this is the most non-Zep type tune they ever did but because to me it sounds flaccid, weak, and for what the song is about, rather uninspired musically. I much prefer Robert's ode to Karac I Believe off of Fate of Nations to All my Love. I Believe is a worthy tribute with much better lyrics, much better structure with more inspired playing, and Robert's vocals are both tortured and hopeful at the same time. Again, just my opinion.

I agree with you about Candy Store Rock, that one is down there with All My Love, D'Yer Ma'ker, Ozone Baby, and La La as my least favorite Zep Tunes. But CSR, that is one limp, flaccid dirigible right there.

19 hours ago, IpMan said:

You right, I don't agree with you but that's cool because music is subjective. Funny, as I think both HOFN & RO are my favorite tracks on the album right behind ALS but that is me. I also love Caouselambra & Hot Dog but again, I am weird. The songs I never really liked off of ITTOD are South Bound Suarez though I understand what they were going for and they did a good job with it, I am just not a big fan of New Orleans style boogie no matter who does it. The other is All My Love and this song just sucks IMO and is the bottom five of Zep tunes for me. Why? Not just because this is the most non-Zep type tune they ever did but because to me it sounds flaccid, weak, and for what the song is about, rather uninspired musically. I much prefer Robert's ode to Karac I Believe off of Fate of Nations to All my Love. I Believe is a worthy tribute with much better lyrics, much better structure with more inspired playing, and Robert's vocals are both tortured and hopeful at the same time. Again, just my opinion.

I agree with you about Candy Store Rock, that one is down there with All My Love, D'Yer Ma'ker, Ozone Baby, and La La as my least favorite Zep Tunes. But CSR, that is one limp, flaccid dirigible right there.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post, really (you weren't offended, but I don't know about the rest :P. I agree 100% about the total subjectivity of music ;) I see your reasoning in disliking All My Love, although I'm rather fond of the tune. :P That's the beauty of Zep! There's something for everyone! :D

P.S. Is there any way to change my username? As you can see, I typed the email in the space for the username when signing up :P I send a message to the admin last year, but no reply yet :( 

Archived