How do you all listen to your Zeppelin? CD? Vinyl? Digital?

I have a massive CD collection and, of course, I have all Zeppelin official releases on CD.

But to be honest, 99% of my music listening comes from purely digital sources.  This is great, the music sounds great, you can order songs any way you want and have instant control over everything.  And yet... something is lost when you're not playing CDs and records.

I have everything on CD, I'd love vinyl really but I've moved about a lot & now that I've got a house & about 700 CDs, it would be very expensive to start replacing them all.

Personally I think the downloaded/digital stuff sounds terrible, all compressed & it doesn't breathe. I can see that it's convenient for people though.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I have everything on CD, I'd love vinyl really but I've moved about a lot & now that I've got a house & about 700 CDs, it would be very expensive to start replacing them all.

Personally I think the downloaded/digital stuff sounds terrible, all compressed & it doesn't breathe. I can see that it's convenient for people though.

Agreed , unless they are hi res downloads. Vinyl is my go to for the official releases,  especially for anything originally intended for that medium. Then the search for which pressings have the best resolution or mastering. It can get time consuming and costly hunting for a clean playing copy of your favs. Bootlegs don't matter as much to me if I hear them from digital files or CDs, although I have original vinyl pressings of  Pb, Going to California and Copenhagen Warm Ups and all sound better than digital counterparts.  I prefer to listen to boots on CD through my stereo which is much nicer than my computer speakers. 

I use Spotify Premium, I don't have any Vinyl or CD, I'm quite young so I believe it's the way most of the people my age (20) go as well.

Better than Youtube, not as good as Flac obviously, but since I'm not concentrate on the song it doesn't bother me at all. If I really want to go "deeper" into the song, I download Flac files but it's very rare.

Most importantly, with my ears.. via CD's, 96/24 Hi-Res downloads a bit of vinyl  but definitely no shitty mp3 or crappy streaming services.

What I am using is probably one of the most common ways to listen to music.  I have CDs uploaded onto my computer (Windows Player and also iTunes) and so I am listening to the uploaded CD , either as a whole or re-arranged tracks.  I do not know if that is equal to a hi-res download or not.  I have a great stereo, awesome speakers and amp, great CD player - but a fairly ordinary turntable.  If I had a higher-end turntable I would probably get into Vinyl.  I have tons of old records, but I do not buy new ones.  Plus, my wife would not be thrilled if I branched out into vinyl.  About sound quality -- I am not all that young.  I think I hear just fine but perhaps not like I did when I was 20.  So I wonder if having the greatest possible sound quality makes a difference.

I still love the concept of the 'album' whether on CD, LP, or even cassette.  Its the songs arranged the way the artists wanted and with art work and notes to go along.  I feel that the beauty of this has been gradually lost in the world of digital music, plummeting CD sales, and a young generation wanting their own playlists heard on spotify and iTunes.  

Archived