IF YOU COULD CHOOSE JUST ONE CONCERT TO BE MADE INTO COMPLETE, OFFICIAL LIVE ALBUM...WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

irondirigible

Any of so many could dial up a mile wide smile a long while

But son, in the long run, there can be only one on that top rung

Not just a great concert and legendary bootleg, but a truly unique and historic Rock n Roll event

"Welcome to three hours of lunacy...    It's all about the LA queens...   But how weak the mortal frame...   We all dream as dreamers do...   We must dedicate this song to perhaps one of the biggest dreamers in the world...   It's an English blues...   One of the journeys that sometimes can bring surprises that you don't expect to encounter...   A song that once again features the immense talents of John Paul looney two slacks Jones...   Also gives you an opportunity to play spot the looney...   This is John two Bonhams looney Bonahm...     Ten Years Bonham!...   The other forty four are with the young ladies in the dressing room...    Along of course with Peter Grant...    If you are a badgeholder of a rock star you are somebody to be reckoned with...    John Bonham knows about badgeholders, don't you John?...    It's really great to be back on the West coast where things make sense...  The constant search for the badgeholder...   Sort of a marital situation that occurred in the midlands of England...    Shut up Bonzo...    This is for anybody who's a badgeholder of John Bonham...   Linda rainbow included...   Well I guess that's an eight out of ten...  She's got a balloon over the toy shop...  There she is...   A big round of applause for Bonzo's badgeholder...   Fantastic...   Wearing a blue suit...   So here you are John, and your diamond studded...   Dynamic looneys...    Mr. John Moon and Mr. Keith Bonham...    What amazing men of steel who know badgeholders...    Hope we didn't keep you up too long...   It's been very funny...    Good night"

13 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Any of so many could dial up a mile wide smile a long while

But son, in the long run, there can be only one on that top rung

Not just a great concert and legendary bootleg, but a truly unique and historic Rock n Roll event

"Welcome to three hours of lunacy...    It's all about the LA queens...   But how weak the mortal frame...   We all dream as dreamers do...   We must dedicate this song to perhaps one of the biggest dreamers in the world...   It's an English blues...   One of the journeys that sometimes can bring surprises that you don't expect to encounter...   A song that once again features the immense talents of John Paul looney two slacks Jones...   Also gives you an opportunity to play spot the looney...   This is John two Bonhams looney Bonahm...     Ten Years Bonham!...   The other forty four are with the young ladies in the dressing room...    Along of course with Peter Grant...    If you are a badgeholder of a rock star you are somebody to be reckoned with...    John Bonham knows about badgeholders, don't you John?...    It's really great to be back on the West coast where things make sense...  The constant search for the badgeholder...   Sort of a marital situation that occurred in the midlands of England...    Shut up Bonzo...    This is for anybody who's a badgeholder of John Bonham...   Linda rainbow included...   Well I guess that's an eight out of ten...  She's got a balloon over the toy shop...  There she is...   A big round of applause for Bonzo's badgeholder...   Fantastic...   Wearing a blue suit...   So here you are John, and your diamond studded...   Dynamic looneys...    Mr. John Moon and Mr. Keith Bonham...    What amazing men of steel who know badgeholders...    Hope we didn't keep you up too long...   It's been very funny...    Good night"

I applaud you.

Fantastic concert.  Legendary night. I'd take this in a heartbeat.  SIBLY-NQ-TYG is a flawless nearly hr long period of live music.  Take out the flub in Kashmir and we're talking about a perfect live experience.

As it was, it was about an 8/10.  "Ten out of ten!"

Hmm I think overall including the circumstances of the show being complete I must choose the legendary Royal Albert Hall performance on January 9, 1970.. 

For anyone who has never came across the recording of Jonsey's Organ Solo intro into Thank You from the RAH '70 show.. Keep in mind it's a 50 second clip, but be sure to listen on a decent stereo or good headphones to feel Bonzo's drums during the intro.

http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/mp3/m204-700109-LH-006-A07.mp3

Honestly? 6/9/72. Many folks wish for soundboards or official releases of shows with shitty audience recordings, I understand that. But I'm the type that hears Listen to This Eddie and wants a soundboard of that show even more, hearing how good it is. Seattle 3/21/75 falls into that category too, we all already have an excellent recording of it, I like the one from Royal Orleans I got a few years ago, but that makes me want to hear a soundboard more honestly. I can hear how good that show is, and from now on I'll be playing that board for friends more than any other 1975 soundboard. I'll still probably include 2/28/75 No Quarter though because the fast No Quarters are only good when Jimmy is full speed ahead soloing.

Its a great show, and the best example of how they played the average gig as well as they did when they knew they were recording 6/25/72 and 6/27/72. They made every performance a winner. One of Zeppelin's best qualities, and you can hear it in the (what I consider) "audience recording good enough for any listener/the average listener".

2 hours ago, nick2632 said:

Hmm I think overall including the circumstances of the show being complete I must choose the legendary Royal Albert Hall performance on January 9, 1970.. 

For anyone who has never came across the recording of Jonsey's Organ Solo intro into Thank You from the RAH '70 show.. Keep in mind it's a 50 second clip, but be sure to listen on a decent stereo or good headphones to feel Bonzo's drums during the intro.

http://starship.jpn.ph/zeppelin/mp3/m204-700109-LH-006-A07.mp3

Well there goes the "organ/bass pedals/JPJ wasn't recorded on multitrack" theory. BS. They just didn't include SIBLY and Thank You because they weren't PERFECT like the rest of that gig. Which is lame and sad to me. Maybe video or audio is missing. But we're dealing with Jimmy Picky Page. More picky about Zeppelin's live performances than all of us combined. :rolleyes: Possibly Zeppelin's best gig and songs omitted... Lame. Or maybe it is like Heartbreaker, one of the best versions, solo is great until it cuts out. :mad:

Why would they miss Jimmy's Heartbreaker solo when they were professionally filming and recording. Thats the side I've been leaning toward. I believe anything is possible lately. There may be hundreds of soundboards we haven't heard yet.

11 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

I applaud you.

Fantastic concert.  Legendary night. I'd take this in a heartbeat.  SIBLY-NQ-TYG is a flawless nearly hr long period of live music.  Take out the flub in Kashmir and we're talking about a perfect live experience.

As it was, it was about an 8/10.  "Ten out of ten!"

Yep. B)

• 1 month later...

The Royal Albert Hall concert that we already have a decent amount of. Should be a full, stand alone release. I don't really understand why it isn't already to be honest. Some of the greatest rock ever filmed. EVER.

13 minutes ago, Tainted cheese said:

Easy choice in my mind, LA Forum 1971, twin night combo pack, twofer! That would be the apex for my Zeppelin fix!

OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Yes! Great choice(s)!

Those 71 gigs were just crazy! Bonham's bass drum! And Plant's vocals, out of this world.

^^ Yes, a better recording of LA '71 is a dream. That's one to remember that a poor recording is 100x better than no recording.

However, I would rather see EV releasing LA 1971-08-21 (SBD) than Led Zeppelin.. I would imagine Thank You not being included (see HTWWW for example).

I hate to believe that LA '71 wasn't recorded with the same equipment as Orlando 10 nights later.

42 minutes ago, nick2632 said:

^^ Yes, a better recording of LA '71 is a dream. That's one to remember that a poor recording is 100x better than no recording.

However, I would rather see EV releasing LA 1971-08-21 (SBD) than Led Zeppelin.. I would imagine Thank You not being included (see HTWWW for example).

I hate to believe that LA '71 wasn't recorded with the same equipment as Orlando 10 nights later.

That Orlando gig is a monster! 

RAH should be officially released tout suite as it's all pretty much ready to go. Makes no sense to  keep that in the warehouse.  Earls Court compilation at the very least , if they're not willing to do a complete show, like 5/24 or 25. Far as I understand , those are the only two nights that were multi- tracked, although my no. 1 choice would be 5/18. .  I also think a best of Copenhagen Warm Ups would be a very welcome release. Anyone know if those shows were multi-tracked? 

1 hour ago, nick2632 said:

^^

It's fair to assume a lot more shows were recorded. Zep's touring equipment rig included a Revox reel to reel deck ( replaced  by a Nakamichi deck from 77 on). And a tape deck is a useful tool for ...recording (and to include sound effects if you are Pink FloydB))

So yes, there are plenty 1/4" 7 1/2 IPS reels (and cassettes) lining the vaults. Some of the SB reels and cassette tapes that got into circulation were stolen from Jimmy's mansion. But not all of them. The condition, quality and completeness of these analog tapes  however is a big question. Hampton 71 was only 2 reels, Toronto only ONE reel! The same goes for the Europe 73 soundboards. They were clearly recorded with a purpose (restructuring the play list from one tour to another?). Audio quality also is quite variable: Toronto 71 and UK 73 just sound dull, the US 73 boards vary from decent (Dallas) to near excellent (Mobile, Kezar) and anything in-between. Bottom line: yes there is a huge soundboard archive. Most of it we probably will not hear. Alas

10 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

RAH should be officially released tout suite as it's all pretty much ready to go. Makes no sense to  keep that in the warehouse.  Earls Court compilation at the very least , if they're not willing to do a complete show, like 5/24 or 25. Far as I understand , those are the only two nights that were multi- tracked, although my no. 1 choice would be 5/18. .  I also think a best of Copenhagen Warm Ups would be a very welcome release. Anyone know if those shows were multi-tracked? 

If they were multitracked, might be possible with a substantial amount of effort by a team of real experts to sync footage of Knebworth up for a DVD release????

14 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

RAH should be officially released tout suite as it's all pretty much ready to go. .  I also think a best of Copenhagen Warm Ups would be a very welcome release. Anyone know if those shows were multi-tracked? 

Don't think the Copenhagen warm ups were multi tracked. In retrospect these were rehearsals. They weren't even announced or promoted. So it is unlikely there was the need to wheel out an expensive mobile unit.

9 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

OOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Yes! Great choice(s)!

Those 71 gigs were just crazy! Bonham's bass drum! And Plant's vocals, out of this world.

Great to hear talk of these shows, some of my favorites! And yes, thatbass drum is fuckin killer! 

Archived