Are there 2 or 3 songs that best exemplify and showcase the greatness of John Bonham?

I know that he was pretty much always awesome and that his approach, style, and heaviness a constant feature of Led Zeppelin's music.  But if someone who didn't know Zeppelin very well asked you for 2 or 3 songs that show Bonham's greatness the most, what would you suggest?

If I had to pick one track, I would probably go for Good Times Bad Times, it changed rock drumming overnight & still sounds absolutely mental nearly 50 years on.

After that I would probably go for Kashmir, which is an monument of groove & restraint & Achilles Last Stand, which again is just nuts.

I might be on my own here but if I had to pick an album to showcase Bonham, it would maybe be Presence, he really was on fire throughout that recording & some of it is his most inventive playing. 

17 hours ago, irondirigible said:

...if someone who didn't know Zeppelin very well asked you for 2 or 3 songs that show Bonham's greatness the most, what would you suggest?

Simple - I'd sit them down in front of a TV, and show them the Danish Television Special off the DVD. Four songs, with visuals. If someone doesn't "get" Bonham after that, they never will...

:)

Studio tracks:

1. Good Times Bad Times and Dazed and Confused from the first album.

2. When the Levee Breaks from Led Zep IV.

3. Achilles Last Stand and Royal Orleans from Presence.

Live tracks:

Edited by Strider

This is a very difficult question to answer.  In addition to all the excellent choices above I could add

Out on the Tiles

We're Gonna Groove

Poor Tom

Darlene - especially the last third "swing" section

Traveling Riverside Blues 

I will note that the first time I heard the Fool in the Rain isolated drum track I was utterly amazed.  First, that shuffle is perfection,  Then the middle section epitomizes the phrase "Over the Top".  I always knew it was there but to hear it all by itself in all its glory was something else.

25 minutes ago, John M said:

This is a very difficult question to answer.  In addition to all the excellent choices above I could add

Out on the Tiles

We're Gonna Groove

Poor Tom

Darlene - especially the last third "swing" section

Traveling Riverside Blues 

I will note that the first time I heard the Fool in the Rain isolated drum track I was utterly amazed.  First, that shuffle is perfection,  Then the middle section epitomizes the phrase "Over the Top".  I always knew it was there but to hear it all by itself in all its glory was something else.

These are all great choices , especially Darlene. That is a showcase for some signature Bonham drumming. Unique groove/beat pattern, huge sound, swinging drum breaks. Great tune but,  Plant annoys me with all his constipated caterwauling. ?

Yes, so true about all those isolated drum tracks. ITTOD may not be my fav Zep album but, those drum tracks are awe inspiring. That section you just described sounds like  Godzilla's samba ! Monstrous. 

Edited by porgie66

I can't quit you baby, misty mountain hop, walters walk

One of the things thats amazing about led zep and john bonham, is that he is either the foundation or the focal point. Then with listening for years, there are songs where you can hear he and jpj together better and songs where its bonzo and pagey better and its always interesting. So cool

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Studio tracks:

1. Good Times Bad Times and Dazed and Confused from the first album.

2. When the Levee Breaks from Led Zep IV.

3. Achilles Last Stand and Royal Orleans from Presence.

Live tracks:

I have been listening to the second Oakland show as of late and I really like this show. I think they played well from what I have listened to so far...best gig of the third leg?

On 6/17/2017 at 7:43 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

I can't tell exactly what you are saying here. It looks like you swabbed out the 6.23.77 vid of "Achilles Last Stand" I posted for the 7.17.77 Seattle "Achilles". There is no way in hell I sanction 7.17.77 being ranked higher than 6.23.77.