Rolling Stone authors MUST HAVE forgot Ten Years Gone here.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-40-greatest-led-zeppelin-songs-of-all-time-20121107/in-the-evening-1979-19691231

No Ten Years Gone on this list!?  Personally, I rank the song really, really, really high.  I can't imagine picking 20 Zeppelin songs that I think are better than it.

Did they simply overlook it?  I don't know.  I have problems with almost all of their various lists, but I know the real point of them is to inspire debate, discussion, and get people to check stuff out.  But here they just must have missed this exquisite gem.  The whole songs is just achingly magnificent.  Its wistful and yet rocking, agonizing, and with guitar work that just stuns.  I love it.

It's Rolling Stone. They couldn't give Zeppelin a good album review to save their lives.

Notwithstanding that, once you see Living Loving Maid on the list, one should close the web page.

It that doesn't do it having Whole Lotta Love at #1 instead of Stairway to Heaven..............Well that is just icing on the cake! 

3 hours ago, irondirigible said:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-40-greatest-led-zeppelin-songs-of-all-time-20121107/in-the-evening-1979-19691231

No Ten Years Gone on this list!?  Personally, I rank the song really, really, really high.  I can't imagine picking 20 Zeppelin songs that I think are better than it.

Did they simply overlook it?  I don't know.  I have problems with almost all of their various lists, but I know the real point of them is to inspire debate, discussion, and get people to check stuff out.  But here they just must have missed this exquisite gem.  The whole songs is just achingly magnificent.  Its wistful and yet rocking, agonizing, and with guitar work that just stuns.  I love it.

My favorite Zep song, bar none.

Ten Years Gone and No Quarter are my favorites. Standouts, define the band to me. Lot of great songs they did, but some tunes come from outer space or something.

Regarding Rolling Stone, they'd forget Kashmir in a major Zeppelin article. :lol:

3 hours ago, sixpense said:

once you see Living Loving Maid on the list, one should close the web page

that old thing was the one nod to the industry and that was the lot.  Although if you ever get bored map out the song- it is impressive in its structure.

list was cut and paste at the last moment by a set of interns... tell me... what is the count to MMH?  It's not 1 2 3 4.  What is the count to Four Sticks?  Exactly. Gotta sell rag magazines so drape LZ on the cover. 

Rolling stone's list shouldn't be looked at if you are a "pro", I stopped paying attention to them when on the singer top 100 there wasn't Mama Cass. Still interesting to look at if you want to discover artist you didn't know though.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

It's Rolling Stone and that list is at least five years old. Been hashed over to death already. Move along...nothing to see.

True. Some Fans get pissed off though just because it's RS. They not only wouldn't give LZ the time of day for years, they openly disliked them. Now they're experts .. and their lists are usually crap. To be fair, they obviously have new journalists who love the band, but those old reviews are still in the backs of minds of fans and certain band members to this day. 

its just a list and whoever compiles the list will have a different opinion to other people. if you compile your list of 20 favourites, i'll bet that there'll be one or maybe more that i'll disagree with. people on this forum don't all agree on what's the "best" songs. its just the way it is, don't get bothered about it

11 hours ago, the chase said:

True. Some Fans get pissed off though just because it's RS. They not only wouldn't give LZ the time of day for years, they openly disliked them. Now they're experts .. and their lists are usually crap. To be fair, they obviously have new journalists who love the band, but those old reviews are still in the backs of minds of fans and certain band members to this day. 

Exactly. RS sucks balls. ;)

On 6/18/2017 at 11:47 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

that old thing was the one nod to the industry and that was the lot.  Although if you ever get bored map out the song- it is impressive in its structure.

list was cut and paste at the last moment by a set of interns... tell me... what is the count to MMH?  It's not 1 2 3 4.  What is the count to Four Sticks?  Exactly. Gotta sell rag magazines so drape LZ on the cover. 

Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner will be handing the reigns off to his son so expect more of the same (or possibly worse) in the future.

Yeah, RS only arguably came over to admitting Zep was a totally great band when the remasters and all that in 90'-91'. IMO

choosing the best 20 Zep songs no matter who's judging would be very difficult because on most of the albums a good 50%

of the songs are excellent or great.

Archived