Any sources on if Robert asked Pete Townshend if he could join The Who in 1966?

I was reading the biography Robert Plant: A Life by Paul Rees. I don't consider it to be a very trustworthy source, as I've already found several inaccuracies and Rees doesn't cite his sources in a way that be easily be checked. However, some of the stories in here are just too entertaining and funny that I'd just like them to be true. Like this one:

On page 57 in Chapter 4, Rubber Man, Rees mentions (with no quotes or indication of any source) that Robert went to see The Who at the Kidderminster Town Hall in May (of 1966, I think, possibly 1967. Rees only says the month but was talking about 1966 previously) and at the gig Pete Townshend sang lead vocals because apparently Roger Daltey had walked out and after the show Robert waited for Pete and offered to sing for The Who. Has anyone ever heard this before or have any sources on it? 

Like I said before, I don't trust this book, most of the stories about his life prior to Zeppelin seem to be based on rumors and word of mouth from acquaintances mixed in with a few actual coversations with Robert, so I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't founded in reality but I was curious in case it was.

Thanks!

(also I appalogize if this is in the wrong place. I just joined and this is my first post after stalking the forum a bit without being signed up. I did look to see if there was already a thread I could add to and I found the book one, but there wasn't a lot of discussion in that thread and I didn't want to change the format. So please let me know if I should post my questions somewhere else.)

The Who performed at Kidderminster Town Hall on May 5, 1966. I don't show Robert was in attendance, and doubt he was as The Who was a Mod group, but he may have been. Additionally, I don't show Townshend covered the vocals that night, nor do I find any sources to suggest he did. As a by the way, Robert performed with Listen the following night at the Plaza Dance and Social Club on Rookery Road in Handsworth, near Sheffield.

On June 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM, SteveAJones said:

The Who performed at Kidderminster Town Hall on May 5, 1966. I don't show Robert was in attendance, and doubt he was as The Who was a Mod group, but he may have been. Additionally, I don't show Townshend covered the vocals that night, nor do I find any sources to suggest he did. As a by the way, Robert performed with Listen the following night at the Plaza Dance and Social Club on Rookery Road in Handsworth, near Sheffield.

Plant was at the show, at :23 he even says Kidderminster Town Hall

20 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Plant was at the show, at :23 he even says Kidderminster Town Hall

Having just seen the clip, I'd agree Plant was at one of their shows at either Kidderminster or Stourbridge Town Hall. However, he says he was "about 15" which would place it closer to 1963 than 1966, but they weren't playing in the Midlands until 1965.

http://www.thewholive.net/the-who/

Archived