Best EQ for Zep Listening

M3n7al.Piracy

I recently bought Led Zeppelin I, II and IV on...wait for it....cassette tape.

I then digitized them adjusting the gain so the average heavy beats hit right before the red section starts.

I then converted the digitized .wav file to a 32-bit depth/384k bit rate wavpack file using AIMP3. (4Gb per tape)

I also dubbed the tapes whilst digitizing them.

That being said:

My truck has a Delco tape deck with an EQ and I have a decent range of low/mid/high speakers. Obviously it's going to sound different on every system, but it seems like a flat EQ almost sounds the best (I've adjusted it a little but not nearly as much as I need to when listening to the radio). EQ levels with radio use are most of the way up on bass, pretty much flat on mid (which I think is the 1k channel on my EQ), and treble is all the way up. Zeppelin seems to sound best with bass just a little up from flat, mid about half way up, and treble a little up from that. A nice gentle slope from left to right.

My wife has a Nissan Murano with a decent sound package. This morning we were driving to work and I plugged in my phone and put it on "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You". The background guitar intro was muffled but vocals were clear (the regular or main guitar chords and licks sounded fine). We turned down the bass (but not all the way) and it seemed to help. Would turning it to 0 be the best?

This song sounds great in my truck from just the dubbed copy and also sounds great on my crappy laptop speakers. Could it be that I have actual tweeters in my truck and a better EQ than just being able to adjust bass and treble?

In short, is anyone aware of optimized EQ levels for Zep? Or if that was done during studio recording?

I add bass to almost everything. Just a bass boost. Sometimes its too much for 1975 soundboards though. Bass for live stuff because idk... every show I've been too was bass heavy, feel the sound vibrations in your bones. So it makes it more live-y. ;)

Archived