The Song Remains The Same - Rare Fantasy Sequence Outtake Photos (1973/1974)

sam_webmaster

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

Here's a collection of rare outtake photos on the set of The Song Remains the Same, filming the various "fantasy sequences". (a few may have been posted before, most are new)

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprp2d.jpg

Sam, I recall we've discussed this photo before. For what it was worth, I mentioned I didn't recall seeing any such red brick structures, forested areas or such buildings (background) at Raglan Castle when I went there. It could very well be in the vicinity of Raglan Castle, but it is more likely near Dylfe, Aberdovery or Lake Bala where the other horseback scenes were filmed. When I get a chance I'm going to Google Earth all of these areas to try to pin it down more precisely.

Is the "Oct 1974" date for the outdoor photographs at Plumpton confirmed? I have what seems to be UK music journalist Pennie Smith's original negatives (or vintage negative copies) and the image sequence of those negatives suggest Jimmy's outdoor scenes at Plumpton were filmed in mid to late afternoon on the same day as Peter's car collection. I had always assumed it was late August, coinciding with the onstage reenactments at Shepperton or early September yet would welcome a more confirmed time period. Note the flowers in bloom at Horselunges Manor, and also that both children are wearing summer clothing (t-shirt and shorts). Interestingly, you will recall when Peter and Gloria are filmed riding in the roadster it is indeed quite clearly Autumn, as both are bundled up and leaves are falling from the trees.            

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Sam, I recall we've discussed this photo before. For what it was worth, I mentioned I didn't recall seeing any such red brick structures, forested areas or such buildings (background) at Raglan Castle when I went there. It could very well be in the vicinity of Raglan Castle, but it is more likely near Dylfe, Aberdovery or Lake Bala where the other horseback scenes were filmed. When I get a chance I'm going to Google Earth all of these areas to try to pin it down more precisely.

Is the "Oct 1974" date for the outdoor photographs at Plumpton confirmed? I have what seems to be UK music journalist Pennie Smith's original negatives (or vintage negative copies) and the image sequence of those negatives suggest Jimmy's outdoor scenes at Plumpton were filmed in mid to late afternoon on the same day as Peter's car collection. I had always assumed it was late August, coinciding with the onstage reenactments at Shepperton or early September yet would welcome a more confirmed time period. Note the flowers in bloom at Horselunges Manor, and also that both children are wearing summer clothing (t-shirt and shorts). Interestingly, you will recall when Peter and Gloria are filmed riding in the roadster it is indeed quite clearly Autumn, as both are bundled up and leaves are falling from the trees.            

RP horse photo - location not confirmed.

Plumpton: Oct. 1974 is what is was listed as, but not confirmed. I agree the pics appear to be a bit earlier. Extremely doubtful they were the same day as the Peter Grant pics though.

4 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

These are really cool. Looks to be one of those crazy WW2 era board games popular in Europe?

Genocide the board game... dark humor.

Looks like the one above is called Concentration Camp actually

ww2 games.jpg

I'd always assumed it was a film prop, but now that you mention it this too is something I wish to look into further. 

2 hours ago, porgie66 said:

These are so great to see. Thanks for sharing them. This may sound silly but, first thing that came to mind since the pics of Bonzo are first is , how much older he looks to me than a man of 26. 

Yes, Bonham always looked much older than his age even from the beginning. By this point he looks closer to his late 30's than a man of 26. 

Great pictures Sam, thank you for sharing.

The Plumpton photos are incredible. East Coast of US is very rich and beautiful, but that looks straight out of a fairytale. Or straight out of the Shire. Wikiwikiwiki straight outta Shire, crazy mf named Bilbo. The one with the guy sitting by the water is crazy good.

Very beautiful place, have to see it for myself one day.

Edited by Dirty Work

8 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

RP horse photo - location not confirmed.

Plumpton: Oct. 1974 is what is was listed as, but not confirmed. I agree the pics appear to be a bit earlier. Extremely doubtful they were the same day as the Peter Grant pics though.

Fair enough, Sam. Regarding the same day, in addition to the sequencing of the negatives I note also Clifton is wearing the same shirt at both locations.

1 hour ago, Dirty Work said:

The Plumpton photos are incredible. East Coast of US is very rich and beautiful, but that looks straight out of a fairytale. Or straight out of the Shire. Wikiwikiwiki straight outta Shire, crazy mf named Bilbo. The one with the guy sitting by the water is crazy good.

It's my understanding he was the caretaker. I've gone there a couple of times...it's one of the most impressive properties I've ever seen.

Edited by SteveAJones

Thank you for posting the pictures, I've not seen any of them before.

Did any Outtake footage surface from TSRTS, I seem to remember one of the directors had some footage "confiscated" by Peter Grant or something.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2017 at 2:54 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

These are great, thanks for posting.  Too bad there's not more of Page.

Too bad there's not more of Jones or Bonzo either. Most of the photos are either the gangster sequence, Grant's cars or the rescuing fair damsel part. Amazing to see them in such good condition though!

• 6 months later...

Wonder what became of PG's car collection?, & what makes, models, years cars he had in his collection apart from what can be seen in the out-takes of TSRTS.Btw the Bentley is a WO  "Le Mans" model 20s or 30s supercharged ,

Quiet powerful in it's day & mega collectable & expensive today!.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I've just joined this forum and very interested in the many posts, I grew up and still live a couple of miles from Peters Horselunges Manor, these pics are great as I got into LZ many years after it all happened and didn't realise the significance of the place right on my doorstep, Anyway, just wanted to point out the car in pics isn't the one Peters driving in the film, the number plates yu 4731 in the film and it's got a different wind screen,  he's driving through a village called Jevington in the autumn shots with his wife, the shots in the mobster car are shot on the road towards beachy head from East Dean I think.. great pics.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, sam_webmaster said:

Here's a collection of rare outtake photos on the set of The Song Remains the Same, filming the various "fantasy sequences". (a few may have been posted before, most are new)

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrpjb3.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrpjb2.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrpjb1.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprpraglan2.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprpraglan1.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprp-022.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprpg1.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprp2d.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprej1.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrprp2c.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scene_rc1.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-09.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-25.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes6a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes79a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes8a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99b.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99e.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99g.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001d.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001g.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp7f.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp7e.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp6e.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp6d.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp6c.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp6b.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp6a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp5.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesrp4.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesJP3.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenesJP2.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100p.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100o.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100n.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100j.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100l.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100jk.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes100hh.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001i.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001h.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001f.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001e.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001c.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1001b.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99i.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99h.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99f.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99d.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99c.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes99a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes81a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes80a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes78a.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes68a.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-26.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-110.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-140.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-15.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-08.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-06.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-22.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-19.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-17.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-16.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes021.jpg

1976-10-xx-TSRTS-Virginia-Parker--03.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes3a.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-18.jpg

1974-09-tsrts-rp-outtake-16.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-14.jpg

1976-10-xx-TSRTS-Virginia-Parker--0t1.jpg

1974-TSRTS-peter-grant-13.jpg

1974-tsrts-jp_002.jpg

1974-09-tsrts-rp-outtake-11.jpg

1974-09-tsrts-rp-outtake-12.jpg

1974-opening-sequence-behind-the-scenes1.jpg

If it is ok for you I wuld like to share those photos on my facebook page dedicated to Led Zep https://www.facebook.com/StairwayToLedZepp. All credits will go to you of course. Please, let me know, if it is ok for you. Thank you for amazing photos you put here! Regards, Eliska