Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bozoso73

Cuts by Mike the Mic

3 posts in this topic

As Im listening to the final night of the LA 77 run there is a cut in ALS and got to wondering of the shows he gave to friends,  are there multiple MM shows that made it out before he destroyed his tapes?? Like different versions of his tapes of the same show like with a volume shift here or a cut there?? Are there MM shows out there without cuts and volume shifts? Are there particular boots out there with minimal or no deliberate things done to them? I hope Im making sense. . its late

Thx:):)

I would never claim to know what Mike Millard's system was or why he did what he did. But from what I have read, every copy Mike Millard made had a cut or some audio tell that he kept track of, where by he could tell who gave his tape to a bootlegger.

I am assuming that Millard must have made plenty of tapes of the June 21, 1977 show, for instance, for trading purposes. Now, the cut in Ten Years Gone was due to him having to flip the tape over during the concert, so every June 21st tape has that same cut.

But some bootlegs of June 21 have Robert Plant's comment after SIBLY "I'm starting to cook" and some bootlegs don't. The very first cd version I got of "Listen to this, Eddie" was the Silver Rarities release. It did not have Plant's comment. But the EVSD Christmas Edition did.

That suggests at least two people sold their tape to the bootleggers. One guy had the "I'm starting to cook" comment on his copy, and the other guy didn't.

Given the amount of people claiming to have 1st generation tapes, Millard must have sent out a lot of copies, and it appears that most everyone kept their copies under wraps, away from the bootleggers. 

^ and IIRC, the Winston Remasters (at least of the 21st) had unmarked 1st gen tapes of Millard's. So, not only is the sound exceptional, but there are no cuts other than when Millard himself had to flip a tape.