Memphis 1970: Led Zeppelin awarded Keys to City & Honorary Citizenship

• Administrators

While in Memphis, Tennessee for their 1970 appearance at the Mid-South Coliseum, the band is awarded Keys to the City and made honorary citizens.

1970-04-memphis---honorary-citizen-award.jpg

--------------------

City of Memphis

Certificate of Honorary Citizenship
The City of Memphis, Tennessee
Proudly confers on
The Led Zeppelin
The title of
Honorary Citizens

With all rights and privileges extended to a citizen of the City of Memphis, Tennessee within the laws and regulations governing said City of Memphis.

In witness whereof the City of Memphis, Tennessee has caused this certificate to be sealed by its Mayor, this sixth day of April, 1970.

Signed by Mayor: Henry Loeb

--------------------

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/april-17-1970

6 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

While in Memphis, Tennessee for their 1970 appearance at the Mid-South Coliseum, the band is awarded Keys to the City and made honorary citizens.

--------------------

City of Memphis

Proudly confers on
The Led Zeppelin
The title of
Honorary Citizens

With all rights and privileges extended to a citizen of the City of Memphis, Tennessee within the laws and regulations governing said City of Memphis.

In witness whereof the City of Memphis, Tennessee has caused this certificate to be sealed by its Mayor, this sixth day of April, 1970.

--------------------

I sure hope that they were not liable for income tax since they were now citizens.

Wouldn't that have been a kick in the balls.

Grant: Good news lads, you have just been made honorary citizens of Memphis, TN.

Page, et al: Right on G, finally getting some much deserved respect!

G: Bad news...you now owe Memphis 28% of the gate from the last concert as you are now citizens of Memphis and are thus liable for city tax.

Page, et al: GODDAMNIT !!!!! 

7 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

--------------------

City of Memphis

Proudly confers on
The Led Zeppelin
The title of
Honorary Citizens

--------------------

Cool to see this!

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Great graphics! I'm scheduled to be in Memphis next month. I have waited all of my life to go there.

Find "Gus' Fried Chicken" for lunch.

BB Kings has the best dry rub ribs I've ever eaten. A must 2 for southern cuisine.

Graceland at mid day only. You will see why.

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

I sure hope that they were not liable for income tax since they were now citizens.

Wouldn't that have been a kick in the balls.

Grant: Good news lads, you have just been made honorary citizens of Memphis, TN.

Page, et al: Right on G, finally getting some much deserved respect!

G: Bad news...you now owe Memphis 28% of the gate from the last concert as you are now citizens of Memphis and are thus liable for city tax.

Page, et al: GODDAMNIT !!!!! 

Here's the kicker, IpMan.

This was the show they tried to get Peter Grant to pull Led Zeppelin off the stage. When he refused they pulled a gun and thrust it into his gut.

Grant: You can't shoot me, ya c***! They've just given us the f****n' keys to the city!

Plant: Save Mr. Grant!  They're taking our manager away! Please get off the chairs it's no joke!

:lol: I loved this performance, and the glory and honor that went with it to Led Zeppelin. Hello Memphis! Wild show.

13 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

--------------------

City of Memphis

Proudly confers on
The Led Zeppelin
The title of
Honorary Citizens

--------------------

How's it goin', Sam? SO you've got The King, Carl Perkins, and "The Four Lemon Squeezers". :hysterical: Who wrote that one up?

Thank you so much.

According to legend, this was the concert where Peter Grant had a gun pulled on him by the promoter of this gig.  Apparently said promoter got freaked out by the audiences response throughout the concert and told Peter to "pull the plug" to end the concert.  Peter said to the promoter, "Wot, you gonna shoot me you silly Cunt, they've just given us the keys to the fucking city".  Classic Peter.

51 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

According to legend, this was the concert where Peter Grant had a gun pulled on him by the promoter of this gig.  Apparently said promoter got freaked out by the audiences response throughout the concert and told Peter to "pull the plug" to end the concert.  Peter said to the promoter, "Wot, you gonna shoot me you silly Cunt, they've just given us the keys to the fucking city".  Classic Peter.

Love that story!

Memphis is a cool town. Stax Museum of Soul Music is a must see, as well as the Civil Rights Museum in the old Lorraine Motel. Catch a tour at the Gibson guitar factory too. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

How's it goin', Sam? SO you've got The King, Carl Perkins, and "The Four Lemon Squeezers". :hysterical: Who wrote that one up?

Thank you so much.

That's from Rolling Stone.

Steve,

Memphis is a great town and been there twice.  You will enjoy it.  We had seven of us two years ago.  We spent one full day at Graceland and did the complete tour of everything there.  Sun Studios and Stax are definitely worth visiting.  Rendezvous is well known for it's BBQ and just off of Union Street in downtown and close to Beale Street and the famous Peabody Hotel with the ducks.  On Thursday nights the Peabody opens up the rooftop and a great place to hang out with a few makeshift bars and some bands playing up there.  You should visit Earnestine and Hazel's bar in Memphis and been recognized by some as best dive bar in USA.  The upstairs was a brothel at one time and quite interesting to see as one of the bartenders took us on a tour and a visit to the rooms which were quite interesting.

One of the bars on Beale Street has a big framed photo and collage about Zeppelin which is signed by them.  Probably from this 1970 visit.  I think it's Rum and Boogie Cafe.  If not it's Blues City Cafe which is close by on Beale.  The band The Dempsies used to play Blues City Cafe and we met them back in 2005.  They were the backing band in the Johnny Cash film I Walk The Line.  They have since broken up but their guitarist has another band that is quite good and we saw them at Rum and Boogie two years ago.  No shortage of Elvis Tribute Artists.  There is one that does many shows at the Rock and Roll Cafe across the street from Graceland.  We stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel and the Graceland Suite, which was quite cool.  Suite had 7 tvs and a mini waterfall as one room themed like Jungle Room.  Hotel had Elvis music on PA all day and Elvis movies on you room tv as well all day.  Hotel has been torn down for the more upscale Guestrooms at Graceland.  It was across the street from Graceland.

Might also want to consider Overton Square in Memphis as a trendy area of town with lots of great eateries.  I know Robert Plant has been seen in this part of town on occasion when he visits.  Lots of Gastro pubs with great food.  Forget the name of place we went to but very good.  Will have to find out. 

EDIT:  Restaurant is Boscos Restaurant and Brewing Company

Archived