Baby Charlie

cryingbluerain

In an effort to have the baby removed from the hospital’s care and keep his life-saving ventilator in place, Charlie’s parents took to the British courts. But they lost a final appeal before the European Court of Human Rights last week following multiple defeats before judges in the High Court, Court of Appeal, and Supreme Court in London. After the final hearing in London, Yates screamed outside court, “How can they do this to us?”

"Human Rights"

A sad situation, and my heart goes out to those parents.  

However my personal philosophy is if you can't breathe on your own after 24 hours, and medical options have been exhausted, it's time to pull the plug.  Doesn't matter to me if you're a year old or 100.  My power-of-attorney paperwork for my own future well-being reflects the same.  Jack Kevorkian may have had a rude and crude approach to a sensitive issue, but he also indirectly brought about the angels from hospice to fill a much needed void in our society.  I'm personally forever in their debt.

Why anyone would need to bring forth a situation like this from 3,500 miles away is another subject.  You don't have to go anywhere near that distance....just to your closest local hospital where decisions like these are made pretty much on a daily basis for people of every age.  

2 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

A sad situation, and my heart goes out to those parents.  

However my personal philosophy is if you can't breathe on your own after 24 hours, and medical options have been exhausted, it's time to pull the plug.  Doesn't matter to me if you're a year old or 100.  My power-of-attorney paperwork for my own future well-being reflects the same.  Jack Kevorkian may have had a rude and crude approach to a sensitive issue, but he also indirectly brought about the angels from hospice to fill a much needed void in our society.  I'm personally forever in their debt.

Why anyone would need to bring forth a situation like this from 3,500 miles away is another subject.  You don't have to go anywhere near that distance....just to your closest local hospital where decisions like these are made pretty much on a daily basis for people of every age.  

I concur with your point of view, however, there must be some situation whereby the state can offer grief counselors and allow the child to go home for a brief period so the parents can deal with this in private. Then, maybe after a few days or a week the child can be taken off life support.

The fact is situations like this is so damn hard and I hope I am never in such a position. I see both sides and IMO both sides are right, and both are somewhat wrong. Having to make the decision to end a life, even one whereby the person is for all intent and purpose passed on, has got to be devastating.

How's it going A-? Happy Independence Day.

I respect your wishes not to speak of government (per mod's request), because as it is attributed to Washington "Government is NOT Eloquence — It Is Force”.

On this day, I am reminded that in the modern day of the US, we have unalienable rights. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

9 hours ago, redrum said:

"Human Rights"

I think it is amazing how the body (when functioning properly) automatically functions in a state of survival. We fight of sicknesses, viruses, etc.

I think it is terrible when some entity intervenes to dictate by "law" what can remain alive or what can die.

In this case, these parents ask no more than intimacy with their child, at home. Does the child belong to them, or does the child belong to the state?

My prayers will be with this family.

I understand that there are two hospitals outside of Great Britain that have offered their services to see if they can help this child.  Money has been raised to help cover the costs, so it will not cost the parents or government money.  The parents have stated that this would be their "last hope" and that if this didn't help their child, they would feel comfortable with themselves that they had tried everything they could for their child.  Why not let them take their child to one of those two hospitals?   

• 4 weeks later...

Archived