About the 7 "old" songs on Physical Graffiti?

• Bron-Yr-Aur from Led Zeppelin III sessions
  • Boogie with Stu, Night Flight and Down by the Seaside from Led Zeppelin IV sessions
  • Black Country Woman, Houses of the Holy and The Rover from Houses of the Holy sessions

Which of these were altered in any way (re-recorded, overdubbed, edited, etc.) in any way for Physical Graffiti and which were included on PG as they were left on the shelf from the sessions for previous albums?

For those songs that were "updated" ... are there any versions circulating of the tracks as they were completed in 1970, '71 and '72, respectively?

I've spent the last couple days reading one Zep story after another, but I can't seem to find concrete answers to the questions above.

Thought I would try a place where experts were likely to congregate.

Thanks!

Other than maybe a missed note here or there, I would guess they are pretty much untouched.  Maybe a punch-up in sound/mixing.  The one song, though, that really makes me wonder (ahem), would be "Boogie with Stu":  The percussion sounds way too modern for a recording in 1970.  I've read a couple of explanations that it is either an effect by Jimmy slapping his guitar or some box contraption Bonzo played.  Ultimately, I guess the studio bootlegs might provide your true answer for each song.

"The song remains the same.  It's f--king true, ain't it?" -- Peter Grant

9 hours ago, dpat said:

Other than maybe a missed note here or there, I would guess they are pretty much untouched.  Maybe a punch-up in sound/mixing.  The one song, though, that really makes me wonder (ahem), would be "Boogie with Stu":  The percussion sounds way too modern for a recording in 1970.  I've read a couple of explanations that it is either an effect by Jimmy slapping his guitar or some box contraption Bonzo played.  Ultimately, I guess the studio bootlegs might provide your true answer for each song.

"The song remains the same.  It's f--king true, ain't it?" -- Peter Grant

I read somewhere it was made by jpj on his Arp synthesizer. I'm not sure if he had the Arp before the PG sessions but he used it to filter Jimmy's guitars on custard pie so it was about. My guess would be that it was overdubbed during the PG sessions.

Apparently, the older stuff was remixed so that it sounded 'of a piece' with the new songs. Makes sense, but I can't remember the source so I could just be repeating some guy's speculation, here!  

Archived