Tape of the first rehearsal?

Re-reading Barney Hoskyns' Trampled Underfoot and noticed a quote by Robert Plant "I was only 19 when I heard the tape of the first rehearsal". And I thought, what the hell? Why didn't I notice this first time round?!

So what about this mythical tape? In a way it'd be the first Zeppelin bootleg... Possibly Plant misremembered and he listened to something else. But if it existed, either 1)  there was a tape, that is still in Jimmy Page's vaults, or 2) there was a tape but it got lost / erased / unknown fate.

Has anyone on these forums ever heard credible evidence of a recording of the first rehearsal in Soho? Or the 1968 rehearsals in Pangbourne? As someone who's fascinated by very early Zep the existence of such a thing would be close to the Holy Grail, but you just assume if it was around and in a decent condition someone would have leaked it to the 'net by now. Still, I live in hope.

6 hours ago, 76229 said:

Re-reading Barney Hoskyns' Trampled Underfoot and noticed a quote by Robert Plant "I was only 19 when I heard the tape of the first rehearsal". And I thought, what the hell? Why didn't I notice this first time round?!

So what about this mythical tape? In a way it'd be the first Zeppelin bootleg... Possibly Plant misremembered and he listened to something else. But if it existed, either 1)  there was a tape, that is still in Jimmy Page's vaults, or 2) there was a tape but it got lost / erased / unknown fate.

Has anyone on these forums ever heard credible evidence of a recording of the first rehearsal in Soho? Or the 1968 rehearsals in Pangbourne? As someone who's fascinated by very early Zep the existence of such a thing would be close to the Holy Grail, but you just assume if it was around and in a decent condition someone would have leaked it to the 'net by now. Still, I live in hope.

A Holy Grail would be Nick Drake's John Peel stuff 100% unedited and flawless. 

3 hours ago, Silverseas said:

A Holy Grail would be Nick Drake's John Peel stuff 100% unedited and flawless. 

On a Nick Drake fan site for sure, doubtless there are people here at LZ.com that have not got a clue who Nick Drake is..

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, babysquid said:

Didn't he used to be in charge of the Lib Dems?

You're thinking of Paddy Ashdown.

Nick Drake has a band called the Bad Seeds & does duets with Kylie.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

You're thinking of Paddy Ashdown.

Nick Drake has a band called the Bad Seeds & does duets with Kylie.

You are thinking of Nick Cave, not Nick Drake. 

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are super awesome-O. BTW Mook, the Aussies on this site are gonna flame your ass for that one :black_eye:

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

You are thinking of Nick Cave, not Nick Drake. 

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds are super awesome-O. BTW Mook, the Aussies on this site are gonna flame your ass for that one :black_eye:

I think my tone was lost in translation there because I was taking the piss, I know who Nick Drake and Nick Cave are.

Who the fuck is Alice though?

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I think my tone was lost in translation there because I was taking the piss, I know who Nick Drake and Nick Cave are.

You gave me a laugh, I saw what you did.

On July 19, 2017 at 6:34 PM, 76229 said:

I have an old (1986) album of the very last rehearsal called "Bonzo's Last Stand" from Atremis Records. Claims to be the last ever recording anyway. 

Really cool artwork. I loved the old days of albums. 

7 hours ago, babysquid said:

You do realize I was joking?

Yes - I was confident that you were. However, not everyone here would have gotten the jokes if they didn't know who Nick Clegg was - so I let them in on it. :)

1 hour ago, SymphonyX said:

There has been long-time rumors of a Steve Winwood rehearsal tape during the very early days

I was under the impression that's with Plant only though, not all four of them? About the same time as the Alexis Korner / Plant stuff

Back to the original topic at hand....this is the question I've always had as well if the first rehearsal was recorded. I personally have a hard time believing it wasn't recorded. I would think Jimmy would've wanted to hear what this group of guys sounded like. No way of knowing really but my hunch would be yes it's on the shelf or a box somewhere. 

1 minute ago, StringBender said:

Back to the original topic at hand....this is the question I've always had as well if the first rehearsal was recorded. I personally have a hard time believing it wasn't recorded. I would think Jimmy would've wanted to hear what this group of guys sounded like. No way of knowing really but my hunch would be yes it's on the shelf or a box somewhere. 

Ready to be released just in time for the 50th anniversary... I wouldn't put it past JP to suddenly discover an unheard recording, with that sense of theatre he has. I've always had the feeling he's someone who by nature holds onto things rather than throwing them away.

It is in the Mick Wall book too that when Peter grant went to New york in November '68 to negotiate a possible record deal he was "armed with tapes of the band's early gigs". Make of that what you will. Again if this is true it'd be good to know what happened to them. By which I mean I'd virtually spontaneously combust if a decent quality bootleg of a Sept-Dec '68 show leaked onto the web.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:40 AM, Mook said:

Um...I knew that...(walks away in shame with head down)

20 hours ago, 76229 said:

I was under the impression that's with Plant only though, not all four of them? About the same time as the Alexis Korner / Plant stuff

I thought it was Page and Winwood working out Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

It's JPJ and Jimmy.

No I think you misunderstand me. I heard that Jimmy had tried to work out a version of BIGLY with Steve Winwood on organ in the late '60s . I didn't think it was the piece that I think you're referring to. I think I read it in one of Dave Lewis books or articles.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, babysquid said:

No I think you misunderstand me. I heard that Jimmy had tried to work out a version of BIGLY with Steve Winwood on organ in the late '60s . I didn't think it was the piece that I think you're referring to. I think I read it in one of Dave Lewis books or articles.

It's that version on bootleg with organ & guitar that fueled that false rumor. 

Archived