Tape of the first rehearsal?

Apologies for off topic qn.....but speaking of rehearsals, I have heard that tapes of the last rehearsal for the o2 show are pretty good. Would appreciate a PM on where I could get hold of them

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Apologies for off topic qn.....but speaking of rehearsals, I have heard that tapes of the last rehearsal for the o2 show are pretty good. Would appreciate a PM on where I could get hold of them

The rehearsal is officially released on Celebration Day.

https://www.amazon.com/Celebration-Day-DVD-sized-digipak/dp/B009E3EYS8

On 7/22/2017 at 0:33 PM, 76229 said:

Ready to be released just in time for the 50th anniversary... I wouldn't put it past JP to suddenly discover an unheard recording, with that sense of theatre he has. I've always had the feeling he's someone who by nature holds onto things rather than throwing them away.

It is in the Mick Wall book too that when Peter grant went to New york in November '68 to negotiate a possible record deal he was "armed with tapes of the band's early gigs". Make of that what you will. Again if this is true it'd be good to know what happened to them. By which I mean I'd virtually spontaneously combust if a decent quality bootleg of a Sept-Dec '68 show leaked onto the web.

I believe it was tapes of the first lp. Page financed it himself, and the recording was finished by mid-October 1968.

22 hours ago, sixpense said:

I believe it was tapes of the first lp. Page financed it himself, and the recording was finished by mid-October 1968.

Mick Wall is the only source that talks about Peter Grant using tapes of a live performance to get the deal done.  All of the other authors that I've read say it was tapes of the first album. 

I would bet money that Jimmy recorded the first rehearsal, after all he recorded himself and Clapton jamming at his house.  The big questions are:

1.  Does the tape still exist?

2.  What is the condition of the tape?

3.  Is the recording quality high enough where a release is realistic?  I would have thought that the bonus disc of Led Zeppelin I would have been the natural place for it to be released.  Since it wasn't that might hint that it isn't available, the quality is extremely poor, it's crumbled to dust, or it never existed.

I hope that I'm proven wrong because it would be one of the most historically important audio recordings in history. 

9 hours ago, mrlowry said:

Mick Wall is the only source that talks about Peter Grant using tapes of a live performance to get the deal done.  All of the other authors that I've read say it was tapes of the first album. 

I would bet money that Jimmy recorded the first rehearsal, after all he recorded himself and Clapton jamming at his house.  The big questions are:

3.  Is the recording quality high enough where a release is realistic?  I would have thought that the bonus disc of Led Zeppelin I would have been the natural place for it to be released.  Since it wasn't that might hint that it isn't available, the quality is extremely poor, it's crumbled to dust, or it never existed.

I hope that I'm proven wrong because it would be one of the most historically important audio recordings in history. 

I very much doubt it.

19 hours ago, mrlowry said:

I'm not sure if you've ever played in a band yourself (apologies if you have) but having played in many bands myself I can tell you that the first rehearsal is always a bit of a mess with people jamming about on things & very little in the way of things that the general public would want to hear. Even if Jimmy did record the first rehearsal, I seriously doubt it would be worth any sort of release & that's without discussing the actual standard of the recording itself.

Of course the recording would be historically significant in many ways but I doubt it's anything the remaining band members would ever want to put out for public consumption.

On 7/26/2017 at 2:59 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Well the only one who knows is Jimmy.

+ Ross Halfin maybe ha!

Of course Ross knows, he is Jimmy's demon overlord you know. Kinda like this:

• Administrators

It's on the deluxe versions:

https://www.amazon.com/Celebration-Day-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B009E3EY38
https://www.amazon.com/Celebration-Day-Deluxe-sized-digipak/dp/B009E3EXMU

"On December 10, 2007, Led Zeppelin took the stage at London’s O2 Arena to headline a tribute concert for dear friend and Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun. What followed was a two-hour-plus tour de force of the band’s signature blues-infused rock ’n’ roll that instantly became part of the legend of Led Zeppelin. Founding members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham, to perform 17 songs from their celebrated catalog including landmark tracks "Whole Lotta Love," "Rock And Roll," "Kashmir," and "Stairway To Heaven." A film of the show, "Celebration Day, is now available on DVD and Blu-ray and includes the entire concert in HD video and in 5.1, 48/24 hi-resolution audio surround sound. "Celebration Day" is an incredible document of the now legendary concert, which has been described as possibly the greatest rock and roll concert ever. The two hour feature length film is presented in beautiful high definition video, and stunning audio quality. The aspect ratio is 16x9. The film is directed by Dick Carruthers who had previously worked with Led Zeppelin on their award winning 2003 release "DVD" - a release that remains one of the highest selling music DVD's of all time. The "Celebration Day" film is already critically acclaimed and the DVD & Blu-ray releases are certain to become consistently high selling titles in the Led Zeppelin catalog. A bonus DVD in the deluxe versions features the dress rehearsal at Shepperton Studios, filmed a few days before the O2 concert. The rehearsal is filmed in SD and recorded in stereo."

On 7/25/2017 at 11:16 AM, mrlowry said:

It was in Grant's book. I haven't read Mick Wall's book, but I know it was in Chris Welch's book on Peter Grant "The Man Who Led Zeppelin".

On one of the interviews for the promotion of celebration day, robert plant brings up playing a garnet mimms song on their first tour and just the way he said it...made me think they might have early recordings. Whether that would be studio or live...who knows.  I could imagine a studio version of, as long as i have you, being much different than early live though, probably more subdued and without a medley.

2 hours ago, middlezep said:

On one of the interviews for the promotion of celebration day, robert plant brings up playing a garnet mimms song on their first tour and just the way he said it...made me think they might have early recordings. Whether that would be studio or live...who knows.  I could imagine a studio version of, as long as i have you, being much different than early live though, probably more subdued and without a medley.

Yes, Robert is talking about "As Long as I Have You", available on a number of bootlegs the best is probably the one from the "Devils Blues" bootleg from 27 April 1969 Fillmore West show, an excellent soundboard recording. Sadly it seems (so far) that there is no studio version.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

Yes, Robert is talking about "As Long as I Have You", available on a number of bootlegs the best is probably the one from the "Devils Blues" bootleg from 27 April 1969 Fillmore West show, an excellent soundboard recording. Sadly it seems (so far) that there is no studio version.

In "Trampled Underfoot" it states that As Long as I have You was one of the songs jammed at the first rehearsal.

Like mrlowry above I'd bet good money there was at some point a tape of the first rehearsal. If that were the case, question would be, is it now a case of "is" or "was"? Lost / erased? Or will it "emerge" for the anniversary....

44 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

After reading this thread, I'm drooling at the thought of a clean stereo reel-to-reel version of "As Long As I Have You" from one of those first sessions.  Would that be kick-ass or what ?    

Absolutely it would! I was truly hoping (and expecting) a version would surface in the Zeppelin I companion disc - not the Paris show. 

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

After reading this thread, I'm drooling at the thought of a clean stereo reel-to-reel version of "As Long As I Have You" from one of those first sessions.  Would that be kick-ass or what ?    

anything as yet unreleased from the early days would make me drool. First rehearsal, Denver 26/12/68, scandinavia gigs.... wonder if anyone's ever asked Jorgen Angel if he saw someone recording that first gig (unofficially or officially!)

Archived