My matrix of New Orleans '73

porgie66

This is a matrix of the Tarantura Witch Queen soundboard and audience sources. I thought I'd share a sample as there has been some discussion on the boards lately about matrix shows , and it's always surprised me there hasn't been a good matrix of this show attempted... as far as I know. It's a great candidate because there is a near complete aud and sbd tape which is unusual for '73 . I did this for my own enjoyment, to try to bring more ambience to the dry board tape of this great show.  I'm by no means an audio expert - I just blended the two sources using Audacity ( I know, go ahead ..laugh) . I tried my best to sync them up but there are glitches here and there though I think I did an ok job aligning them. The board is usually dominant in the mix with the audience as a lower mix level support.  If anyone really digs this sample I am happy to share the whole thing lossless via WeTransfer. 

27 minutes ago, Sue Dounim said:

I attempted it about a year ago and couldnt come up with anything that sounded like a legitimate improvement. I'll check yours out very soon

I'd love to hear your opinion. I think it sounds fuller, with more dynamics and a better sense of space but it's hard to hear objectively when you work on it. 

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

This is a matrix of the Tarantura Witch Queen soundboard and audience sources. I thought I'd share a sample as there has been some discussion on the boards lately about matrix shows , and it's always surprised me there hasn't been a good matrix of this show attempted... as far as I know. It's a great candidate because there is a near complete aud and sbd tape which is unusual for '73 . I did this for my own enjoyment, to try to bring more ambience to the dry board tape of this great show.  I'm by no means an audio expert - I just blended the two sources using Audacity ( I know, go ahead ..laugh) . I tried my best to sync them up but there are glitches here and there though I think I did an ok job aligning them. The board is usually dominant in the mix with the audience as a lower mix level support.  If anyone really digs this sample I am happy to share the whole thing lossless via WeTransfer. 

Sounds good porgie. I'd really love to hear the whole thing. By the way, also love Heavy Vibraphones

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Sounds good porgie. I'd really love to hear the whole thing. By the way, also love Heavy Vibraphones

Thanks. PM me with your email addy and I'll send it to you. 

I had been on the look out for the 3/11/75 matrix for months and just found it yesterday.  Gotta say, it was very underwhelming.  Not because of the job that was done (not sure who did it), but because Millard's audience source just doesn't complement the SBD (and vice-versa) well at all.  I thought it'd be devastatingly good, but it's not.  That audience source just breathes so much it just doesn't make for a tight fit/match of the two.

This 5/14/73 matrix sounds great.  Heartbreaker rocks.

14 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I don't mean to sound pushy and selfish here, BUT WHERE'S THE REST!!??? :D Have listened to these back to back for the last 30 min or so and they sound freaking fabulous!  I know this stuff takes a long, long time and requires tons of patience, but man... I sure hope you have plans on doing this whole show.

Great job.

2 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

I had been on the look out for the 3/11/75 matrix for months and just found it yesterday.  Gotta say, it was very underwhelming.  Not because of the job that was done (not sure who did it), but because Millard's audience source just doesn't complement the SBD (and vice-versa) well at all.  I thought it'd be devastatingly good, but it's not.  That audience source just breathes so much it just doesn't make for a tight fit/match of the two.

This 5/14/73 matrix sounds great.  Heartbreaker rocks.

Thanks!  Yeah, that makes sense. In this case the big ambience of Freezer's tape does compliment and contrast the dry board tape very well , IMO. I'm sure a more skilled person could align the sources closer but overall I really like listening to this show now.  I have the complete show done for a while now.  Again, this is by no means meant to be definitive , I did this for my own pleasure and there are micro cuts and some overlapping but it's nearly impossible to align every note from each source. 

As I said, I can send it lossless via wetransfer if you like. Just pm your email addy. 

The mid range and bass frequencies sound great but the cymbals and treble overall are a little harsh. I don't blame you because speaking as someone who's worked with the soundboard source before, you can only either settle for muffled or go for sharp treble. There's practically no inbetween with that tape. I applaud your efforts and hope to hear more from you in the future

4 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

The mid range and bass frequencies sound great but the cymbals and treble overall are a little harsh. I don't blame you because speaking as someone who's worked with the soundboard source before, you can only either settle for muffled or go for sharp treble. There's practically no inbetween with that tape. I applaud your efforts and hope to hear more from you in the future

Thank you , I appreciate the feedback. I agree with you...I wish I could've smoothed out the highs more, I probably could've done a little better had I spent more time on it but it is a fairly limited dynamic range board tape. 

13 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

Something to keep in mind should soundboards of any of the other Millard recorded shows ever appear. 

1 hour ago, tom kid said:

Have the links been taken down? Or are they not able to be listened to people outside of the US? I'm really keen to hear this!

I am not sure but I thought they can be heard outside the US. I didn't take them down. 

Porgie - Newbie here.  I *like* it!  :D  It's weird though, I can hear some phase effects for the cymbals for Heartbreaker, and at times, I think the low end is a little strong, but it's still very listenable.  I do *not* hear those things for OTHAFA, sounds cleaner/better.  If you're still sharing the whole thing, I'll PM you in one minute.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, The Mule said:

Porgie - Newbie here.  I *like* it!  :D  It's weird though, I can hear some phase effects for the cymbals for Heartbreaker, and at times, I think the low end is a little strong, but it's still very listenable.  I do *not* hear those things for OTHAFA, sounds cleaner/better.  If you're still sharing the whole thing, I'll PM you in one minute.  Thanks!

Thanks. Yes, there is some occasional phasing . I basically used approx a 70% board to 30% ratio, but varied from track track depending on the sonics differences/ instrumentation etc. As Sue Dounim pointed out, it's very tricky to achieve a happy medium with that board tape. It's either boost the highs for more clarity and brightness or deal with the muffled dry sound minus less harsh upper freqs. I'll send you the whole show, see what you think. Again, I think a matrix by Winston or someone more skilled would be choice...but I still think this is a vastly more enjoyable listen than the pure SBD. Too bad Plant was having an off night. Some major gaffs in this show. Great playing and interaction on this show. 

Archived