The Reigning King of Rock Guitar

The Rover

Well, no, it's not Jimmy P.

I'm speaking of the reigning King of performing Rock guitar.

My Vote goes to EVH. Even at 62, Eddie Van Halen can still shred out the riffs.

Here he is in his studio, demoing a new version of his amp:

I don't think there is a reigning king (has there ever been), so many great players out there, one can only give an opinion. I could not pick one over another. All I would say about EVH is yes he's a great player but he's not my cup of tea. Like I said it's all just opinion. 

This thread is still young, but yeah, Beck is awesome.  So is EVH.  Santana.  Slash did some just amazing stuff in GNR's infancy and continues to be astonishing live.  Buckethead can shred probably better than anyone, if that's what you're into.

If it comes to publicity and current sales, then yeah, it's probably EVH.

So hard to say, everyone has faves. Don't really care for Bonamassa, I know many do. Satriani can really tear it up, if you like a player that plays similar to EVH.

I have seen EVH live a couple times & was outstanding. Many others to list that are very good. Saw Vivian Campbell last week with The Last In Line & he was just amazing, just one example.

23 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

This thread is still young, but yeah, Beck is awesome.  So is EVH.  Santana.  Slash did some just amazing stuff in GNR's infancy and continues to be astonishing live.  Buckethead can shred probably better than anyone, if that's what you're into.

If it comes to publicity and current sales, then yeah, it's probably EVH.

Props for the Buckethead mention. :thumbsup: I wasn't expecting to see anyone under 60 mentioned here. :)

I'm not really into a lot of modern stuff, EVH can play but it sounds horrible to me, two players that I've seen live in the last few years who have really impressed me are Marc Ford (used to be in the Black Crowes) & Dweezil Zappa.

I prefer Jazz stuff these days, John McLaughlin mainly & I saw a John Scofield/Mike Stern double bill a couple of weeks back, which was great.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I'm not really into a lot of modern stuff, EVH can play but it sounds horrible to me, two players that I've seen live in the last few years who have really impressed me are Marc Ford (used to be in the Black Crowes) & Dweezil Zappa.

I prefer Jazz stuff these days, John McLaughlin mainly & I saw a John Scofield/Mike Stern double bill a couple of weeks back, which was great.

Same here. I saw Mike Stern / Eric Johnson double bill last year. I met him briefly too, very cool guy.

I mentioned Joe Bonamassa not because I'm his biggest fan, (I am a fan) but because he's an excellent guitarist that crosses over so well. I prefer instrumental music these days. 

On 7/26/2017 at 7:50 AM, the chase said:

Same here. I saw Mike Stern / Eric Johnson double bill last year. I met him briefly too, very cool guy.

I mentioned Joe Bonamassa not because I'm his biggest fan, (I am a fan) but because he's an excellent guitarist that crosses over so well. I prefer instrumental music these days. 

It really is different strokes, while all the players you mention are all great players, they are not my cup of tea. I prefer the flash players, like EVH, Satriani, etc. Kirk Hammett is amazing at what he does, as was Randy Rhoads (Zakk Wilde tries to copy him).

I have also seen players like Reb Beach, Doug Aldrich & Vivian Campbell in recent years, who can really play. I would also mention that Slash is really underrated, if you watch the Live at Stoke dvd, you'll see what I mean.

51 minutes ago, The Rover 75 said:

It really is different strokes, while all the players you mention are all great players, they are not my cup of tea. I prefer the flash players, like EVH, Satriani, etc. Kirk Hammett is amazing at what he does, as was Randy Rhoads (Zakk Wilde tries to copy him).

I have also seen players like Reb Beach, Doug Aldrich & Vivian Campbell in recent years, who can really play. I would also mention that Slash is really underrated, if you watch the Live at Stoke dvd, you'll see what I mean.

I agree. I like that too. I love Vai, Satriani, John 5, Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Uli Roth etc... Buckethead is cool in small doses. They all can do incredible things. I find Satriani the easiest to get into out of them all because he's so melodic. I have to be in the mood for Vai even though he's is probably my favorite of the players I listed. Rising Force is really the only Yngwie album I love, but I still think it's pretty incredible.. Slash is a nice cross section of strong lead and rhythm.. He has some soul and melody on his playing.      

12 minutes ago, the chase said:

I agree. I like that too. I love Vai, Satriani, John 5, Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Uli Roth etc... Buckethead is cool in small doses. They all can do incredible things. I find Satriani the easiest to get into out of them all because he's so melodic. I have to be in the mood for Vai even though he's is probably my favorite of the players I listed. Rising Force is really the only Yngwie album I love, but I still think it's pretty incredible.. Slash is a nice cross section of strong lead and rhythm.. He has some soul and melody on his playing.      

Glad you mentioned John 5, another criminally underrated player. The stuff that guy can get out of his Tele is just from another dimension. Not as melodic as Satriani, but I have never heard anyone play quite like him. Very unique player.

2 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Glad you mentioned John 5, another criminally underrated player. The stuff that guy can get out of his Tele is just from another dimension. Not as melodic as Satriani, but I have never heard anyone play quite like him. Very unique player.

Absolutely. I saw him a few months ago and really liked it. 

On 7/25/2017 at 5:52 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Props for the Buckethead mention. :thumbsup: I wasn't expecting to see anyone under 60 mentioned here. :)

My impression of Nottingham Lace, was of a souless technical performance. I don't feel anything from Buckethead, so he is not my cup o' tea.

It was not possible for my to evaluate the tone and playing on the Zeppelin segment due to the constant crowd noise.

The overall impression of the "Night Train Solo" is that guitar work is fine, but, the blam, blam, blam of the percussion makes it unenjoyable for me. I HATE that kind of percussion playing, It shows no respect for the guitar work being played, imo. Why guitarists stand for such accompaniment, I'll never know...

On 7/26/2017 at 9:50 AM, blindwillie127 said:

If you took the 10 greatest guitarists ever and turned them into one person, you'd wind up with this guy:

Thanks, just added Eric Gales to my watch list at Songkick.

7 minutes ago, The Rover said:

My impression of Nottingham Lace, was of a souless technical performance. I don't feel anything from Buckethead, so he is not my cup o' tea.

It was not possible for my to evaluate the tone and playing on the Zeppelin segment due to the constant crowd noise.

The overall impression of the "Night Train Solo" is that guitar work is fine, but, the blam, blam, blam of the percussion makes it unenjoyable for me. I HATE that kind of percussion playing, It shows no respect for the guitar work being played, imo. Why guitarists stand for such accompaniment, I'll never know...

Well, at least you tried. :/ 

Regardless of what the others are doing, the Night Train solo is one of the best live solos ever, imo. Perfect blend of emotion, melody, and technical prowess.

Here's a couple more, if you're so inclined, it's hard to get a feel from just three clips, the guy puts out an ungodly amount of material.

3 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Regardless of what the others are doing, the Night Train solo is one of the best live solos ever, imo. Perfect blend of emotion, melody, and technical prowess.

Here's a couple more, if you're so inclined, it's hard to get a feel from just three clips, the guy puts out an ungodly amount of material.

Well, whatever.... If I was going to demonstrate the greatness of Jimmy Page, I could easily do it with just one video, SIBLY from TSRTS. If the hearer couldn't "get it " from that one video, then, I'd just move on, I guess...<_<

10 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Nah, an average noodler at best, each to their own.

Archived