Sacrilege: Dec 10 and possible tour a let-down?

pujols05

This will be controversial for many of you, I realize that. But...it's not 1975 anymore. Is there a chance the reunion show (and any possible tour) could be a let down?

My assertion is that there is no way the show (and possible tour) could live up to expectations (after all, it's been 27+ years). The cure for that, I suppose is to go into it with...not lower expectations but shall we say altered expectations. The guys aren't in their 20s anymore. We have every reason to expect the musicianship will be there. I guess the real question is: will the vibe be there, will the Zeppelin Magic still be there?

I saw Clapton for the first time this year, and to some degree it was disappointing. We all build up an ideal image of what a "historic" show ought to be like. I'd hate to see Zeppelin and feel disappointed.

If there is a full-blown tour and tickets are...$150 and up, would anyone NOT go because of the chance of destroying the perfect image you have built up?

Despite my post, I'm pretty sure I'd go. :D

I understand where you're coming from, as it has been a long time since they have played with each other. Unlike past one show reunions i.e. Live Aid, Atlantic, they have apparently are going into this one quite prepared, with months of rehersal. Having seen Plant a couple years ago with Strange Sensation I must say his voice, albiet different from 1970, still gives me chills. Still has a great balance of grace and power. Really, the only (small) question mark for me is Jimmy's finger. Hopefully it won't effect his playing. I honestly think the show will go over quite well.

This will be controversial for many of you, I realize that. But...it's not 1975 anymore. Is there a chance the reunion show (and any possible tour) could be a let down?

My assertion is that there is no way the show (and possible tour) could live up to expectations (after all, it's been 27+ years).

I guess the real question is: will the vibe be there, will the Zeppelin Magic still be there?

Unfortunately all post-1980 shows have been a dissapointment so far. But, all the interviews suggest that they are all VERY confident about this one - about the 'vibe'. I suspect if they weren't, they wouldn't bother doing the show.

Will it be a dissapointment? I suppose that depends on what your personal expectations are. The other thing to consider is, the atmosphere of the event itself may make up for any musical shortcomings.

Listen to Live at the Greek. It's the same Page making the same noises as 1973. Will it be the same? no. But as Zeppelin always says, the O2 show will be a statement of who they are and what they are about at this point in time. Maybe in hindsight it will look like a bad idea. But at the moment it feels right.

And who knows, they could blow the world away and show all the wanna-be bands how to do it.

Great question. Yes there is a chance and its very unlikely they will be in 1975 form, there was something magical in the air then, its can't be replicated. Their reunions have been disappointing largely due to the fact they raised the bar so high, they're a victim of their own standards. Personally, the music industry is so embarrasingly weak right now, even a half dead led zeppelin is light years ahead of todays best..and i make no question in saying that. Would I pay $150+ to see an underachieving LZ concert...simply put..Yes! I'd pay $150 to see Jimmy Page eat a slice of Pizza. I'm 19 years old, my dad got to see them in their prime...oh what an experience. I will pay any price to see Plant perform with Krauss, as much as i dont see much intriuge in that comparitavly weak music. Hell, to be in the presence of John Paul Jones is alone worth the price of admission. Call me fanatical and ilogical if you want, but I say their past accomplishments and legend excuses them from any scrutiny. You don't want to see a legacy tarnished, but maybe if newer bands would make music half as great..we wouldnt be in such dire need of a musical mesiah. I say bring on any and all future endevors, i'd love to be a part of them.

Really, the only (small) question mark for me is Jimmy's finger. Hopefully it won't effect his playing. I honestly think the show will go over quite well.

Page has had several injuries before and was always able to play on. From the interviews it looks like it's got mobility. There is still 3 weeks or so of recovery and rehearsal. I wouldn't worry about it. If it was going to get in the way of the show, they would put it back again.

but maybe if newer bands would make music half as great..we wouldnt be in such dire need of a musical mesiah.

Funny you would say that, if you look at songs today, they take all these wonderful old songs and either take the words or the sound from it and completely butcher it and put their own name on it and end up sellling millions, I just wish the youth weren't so blind to this.

Well, I think that the '98 Page/Plant tour was pretty close to what we would see in a new Zeppelin tour:

-- Standard band configuration, as opposed to the Egyptian orchestra and second lead guitarist (Porl Thompson) that they had in '95

-- Zeppelin songs played pretty close to the album versions

-- A good number of live rarities from the Zeppelin days (Wanton Song, Ramble On, Tangerine, Gallows Pole, HMMT, etc.). For the new tour, they could bring out For Your Life, Houses of the Holy, Carouselambra, In the Light etc.

Having JPJ and Jason Bonham in the mix will bring the performance(s) up significantly, but I don't think the overall concert experience will be drastically different than P/P '98. The truly magic moments for me will come with seeing songs that have never been performed live (eg For Your Life).

If they do tour, I just wish Zeppelin could find a way to vary their set list more than they did on the later tours in the '70s.

Throwing in set list surprises (like Tea for One in Japan '96) makes the shows so much better.

Having JPJ and Jason Bonham in the mix will bring the performance(s) up significantly, but I don't think the overall concert experience will be drastically different than P/P '98. The truly magic moments for me will come with seeing songs that have never been performed live (eg For Your Life).

Couldnt agree more.

Wanton Song 1998 on Jools Holland, this is pretty much the kind of thing I am expecting.

Wanton song

Great question. Yes there is a chance and its very unlikely they will be in 1975 form, there was something magical in the air then, its can't be replicated. Their reunions have been disappointing largely due to the fact they raised the bar so high, they're a victim of their own standards. Personally, the music industry is so embarrasingly weak right now, even a half dead led zeppelin is light years ahead of todays best..and i make no question in saying that. Would I pay $150+ to see an underachieving LZ concert...simply put..Yes! I'd pay $150 to see Jimmy Page eat a slice of Pizza. I'm 19 years old, my dad got to see them in their prime...oh what an experience. I will pay any price to see Plant perform with Krauss, as much as i dont see much intriuge in that comparitavly weak music. Hell, to be in the presence of John Paul Jones is alone worth the price of admission. Call me fanatical and ilogical if you want, but I say their past accomplishments and legend excuses them from any scrutiny. You don't want to see a legacy tarnished, but maybe if newer bands would make music half as great..we wouldnt be in such dire need of a musical mesiah. I say bring on any and all future endevors, i'd love to be a part of them.

My thoughts exactly! Its like you're in my head! :D I totally agree with you. I think the exact same way.

I'm just happy to see John Paul Jones back into the fold....I'm not expecting Led Zep circa 1972, what I am expecting is the 3 of them (and Jason) giving us a good show with all the crowd favorites plus some surprises.

Songs I'd Like To See Performed If They Decide To Tour

Train Kept A Rollin

Your Time Is Gonna Come

When The Levee Breaks (electric)

In The Light

For Your Life

Hots On For Nowhere

Tea For One

Wearing And Tearing

Carouselambra

Battle of Evermore (w/ Allison Krauss singing Sandy Denny's lines)

Or they can just perform off beat songs as encores

They've got so many songs to choose from they could do a different set list every night

but still keep Whole Lotta Love and Kashmir in the set. Maybe even throw in a couple of solo songs in like "Other Arms" or "Who's To Blame".....

Oh yeah a taper's section would be nice

Remember when one of the Chicago 77 shows was cancelled and Page said something to the effect of: "....we'll make it up to them, we'll do an ALL REQUESTS show."

We have the internet now can't we just e-mail requests?

I saw Clapton for the first time this year, and to some degree it was disappointing. We all build up an ideal image of what a "historic" show ought to be like. I'd hate to see Zeppelin and feel disappointed.

If there is a full-blown tour and tickets are...$150 and up, would anyone NOT go because of the chance of destroying the perfect image you have built up?

There are "alot" of songs in -led zeppelin's catalogue that -page/jones/plant could turn to, to put together a great show these days, without -dazed and confused, moby dick, or even sth.

At this stage... it's about their live PRESENCE, together again, under the LZ title, and making History, once again. Everyone more than realizes that time is marching on, and it's been nearly 40 years since the Beginning of Rock.

They are each gifted enough to work around any limitations. I think the Moment will cloak any shortcomings, IF ANY.

As Robert so aptly put it... THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME.

My assertion is that there is no way the show (and possible tour) could live up to expectations (after all, it's been 27+ years). The cure for that, I suppose is to go into it with...not lower expectations but shall we say altered expectations. The guys aren't in their 20s anymore. We have every reason to expect the musicianship will be there. I guess the real question is: will the vibe be there, will the Zeppelin Magic still be there?

I understand what you're getting at but I think most of us have kept our expectations in check.

There are "alot" of songs in -led zeppelin's catalogue that -page/jones/plant could turn to, to put together a great show these days, without -dazed and confused, moby dick, or even sth.

They could also do some rearrangements like the Knebworth Whole Lotta Love. Given the amount of rehearsals they're doing for the o2 show, I think it's possible (maybe even likely) that they'll come up with something new like that. That would be very cool.

They could also do some rearrangements like the Knebworth Whole Lotta Love. Given the amount of rehearsals they're doing for the o2 show, I think it's possible (maybe even likely) that they'll come up with something new like that. That would be very cool.

Yeah i agree. With the alotted time of the one show and there being so many songs to choose from, there should be a few surprises and maybe even a -whole lotta love type jam...hopefully with more led zep songs than older rock covers though. (like page/plant did in 95)

I was wondering if they'd rearrange some of the older songs. Robert Plant has done so in recent tours, so it's definitely something they could be considering. I'm still really hoping to see them play "When The Levee Breaks."

Funny you would say that, if you look at songs today, they take all these wonderful old songs and either take the words or the sound from it and completely butcher it and put their own name on it and end up sellling millions.

Very true, but somethign to keep in mind is that musical phases, or unoriginal for the moment stuff never lasts. They might sell 5 million albums real quick, but we've sold over 300 million and counting. Let the garbage bands have their fun, enjoy their limelight, and their 30 minues of fame on MTV because next year, we won't know who they are. Led Zeppelin on the other hand is something my grandchildren will still be listening to.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aixZ3wqOis&feature=related

Now this is what I think the reunion is gonna be like, some savage shit right there, if they play like this, Jimmy can play like he did there and Robert can sound as good as he did that day(probably the closest i've heard him sound like his 70's self), and obviously Jonesy is gonna be great, this show will be beyond what they needed to do.

I think it will be an awesome show and most everyone has realistic expectations. Anyone who really puts any thought into it knows they wont sound exactly the same or act the same.

I wish I was going, have seen them but would love to see them (most of them) again.

Rolls>>> :wacko:

I agree with what you said. Not only are most people's expectations realistic, but in some cases they do have low expectations, meaning the band could be better than expected for those people.

Archived