The Gov't Mule thread

Reynoldo

Mule. . . its one of the bands, within the JAMBANDS, whom I feel are magical, amazing live band . . . with the power of taking the listener to a high places . . . the JAMBAND SCENE is a cool place for me to be around as the MUSIC is so mix of styles of music fused together, also taking a song far beyond is time length without making it boring. . . there are other great JAMBANDS to find the space, time and MUSIC out there go find.

its music for your heads.....

which of the MULE studio album/albums are in your top 20 albums... are there any moe, phish, widespread panic and Medeski, Martin and Wood fans here... you can count me in with all four bands oh yes oh yes. . . I`ve been studying the book by Dean Budnick = JAMBANDS the complete guide of the music, musicians and scene. this book as opened up a hole load of great bands from the jamband scene. add to the book, the RELIX magazine too!. I`ve been hooked on the bands for yrs now . . . roll up roll up the JAMBANDS are wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yes.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well the mule do the Floyd live covers new album on website for pre-order on the 12/04/14 titled " Dark Side Of The Mule " the formats are cd, deluxe 3cd`s, vinyl, two downloads. add a t-shirt or throw to your package too!... been blasting out the Holy Hunted House and With A Little Help From Our Friends (collector`s edition) pure live MULE...

• 3 months later...

Saw the Mule with John Scofield on Friday night at the beautiful Fox Theatre in Oakland. Cool show with lots of jazzy guitar jamming and a few nice cover tunes. Downtown Oakland is really flying high, every place on Telegraph and Broadway was packed!

Set 1:
Hammer and Nails
(The Staple Singers cover)
Game Face
(with "Birdland" & "Mountain Jam" teases)
Banks of the Deep End
Time to Confess
Streamline Woman
Blind Man in the Dark
(with John Scofield) (with "Ain't No Sunshine" lyrics)
Instrumental Illness
(The Allman Brothers Band cover) (with John Scofield)
Birth of the Mule
(with John Scofield)
Doing It to Death
(The J.B.'s cover) (with John Scofield)
Set 2:
Mule
Beautifully Broken (>)
Breakdown
(Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers cover)>
Beautifully Broken (reprise)
The Shape I'm In
(The Band cover) (with John Scofield)
Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
(Traffic cover) (with John Scofield)
Dreams
(The Allman Brothers Band cover) (with John Scofield)
Encore:
Get Behind the Mule
(Tom Waits cover) (with John Scofield)

• 3 weeks later...

Paid $15 for a live stream of Sco-Mule last night. I love seeing live music in my own home, free parking, front row seats, well-stocked bar, no line at the restroom and I run the soundboard!

It was the last show of the tour and they were HOT, far better than the show I saw last month! So much Jazz and Blues guitar! The set list doesn't do it justice but here it is anyway:

1. Set 1:
  2. (with Get Up, Stand Up tease)
  3. (Jerry Garcia cover)
  4. (with John Scofield) (with Hottentot tease)
  5. Set 2:
  6. (Larry McCray cover) (>)
  7. (Van Morrison cover) (> Soulshine reprise)
  8. (Al Green cover) (with Les Bres in A Minor tease)
  9. Encore:
  10. (with John Scofield) (with Little Wing tease)
  11. (Jeff Beck cover) (with John Scofield)
And not one song the same!
Edited by chef free

There are three eras of Gov't Mule.

The first is the power trio era (1994- 2000) with original bass player Allen Woody. The best album from this era is Live at Roseland Ballroom.

When he died in 2000 the band put out two tribute albums Deep End vol. 1 and Deep End vol.2, featuring 25 of Woody's bass playing heroes, including Chris Squire, Roger Glover, Mike Watt, Bootsy Collins, Les Claypool, Dave Schools, Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Jack Cassidy, Phil Lesh, Jason Newsteed, Chris Wood and Billy Cox. Mike Gordon produced a film called Deepest End featuring many of these bass players with Gov't Mule too. Mule shows during this era featured guest bass players, many from the Deep End albums.

The third era saw Gov't Mule add a new bass player and a keyboard player. Their first album of this era, Deja Voodoo, won a Grammy. Their next album, High and Mighty is my favorite.

You can't go wrong with any of these five albums. They also have some albums of cover songs from bands like the Stones, Pink Floyd and a disc of reggae versions of their songs.

Edited by chef free

There are three eras of Gov't Mule.

The first is the power trio era (1994- 2000) with original bass player Allen Woody. The best album from this era is Live at Roseland Ballroom.

When he died in 2000 the band put out two tribute albums Deep End vol. 1 and Deep End vol.2, featuring 25 of Woody's bass playing heroes, including Chris Squire, Roger Glover, Mike Watt, Bootsy Collins, Les Claypool, Dave Schools, Jack Bruce, John Entwistle, Jack Cassidy, Phil Lesh, Jason Newsteed, Chris Wood and Billy Cox. Mike Gordon produced a film called Deepest End featuring many of these bass players with Gov't Mule too. Mule shows during this era featured guest bass players, many from the Deep End albums.

The third era saw Gov't Mule add a new bass player and a keyboard player. Their first album of this era, Deja Voodoo, won a Grammy. Their next album, High and Mighty is my favorite.

You can't go wrong with any of these five albums. They also have some albums of cover songs from bands like the Stones, Pink Floyd and a disc of reggae versions of their songs.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Love this band, have seen them numerous times since 1998. I was at The Deepest End show. Just saw them in N.O. on April 24. They love New Orleans and play here all the time...usually during Jazz Fest.

Gov't Mule is playing at Shepherds Bush Empire on 25 May.

It would be so cool if Jimmy went and checked them out. I'm not expecting a jam, but hopefully just a hang.

JPJ has indeed developed a good relationship with them since Bonnaroo. Wish Jimmy would too.

-hercoflex

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

Jason Bonham Joins Gov’t Mule For Two Zeppelin Songs On The Anniversary Of John Bonham’s Death
by Dave Melamed - September 25th, 2016

Gov’t Mule has been on an absolute tear. Just days after guitarist Warren Haynes collaborated with ZZ Top, followed by another performance where Haynes played with Tom Morello, Jon Batiste and Regina Spektor, the guitarist had another unique opportunity to play with a legend at The Fillmore Miami Beach.

During tonight’s show – which at press time is still ongoing – Haynes & co. welcomed out famed drummer Jason Bonham. Jason is the son of legendary Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, and has participated in Led Zeppelin reunions and continues to be a force for upholding the Zeppelin legacy.

Jason Bonham sit in with Gov’t Mule in place of founding drummer Matt Abts, and joined in for (fittingly) two Zeppelin songs: “Since I’ve Been Loving You” and “No Quarter,” according to the band’s Twitter. The timing was also particularly appropriate, as today marks the 36th anniversary of John Bonham’s death. Needless to say, Bonham’s presence at the Mule show must have been an incredible moment of live music.

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/jason-bonham-sits-govt-mule-two-led-zeppelin-covers-miami/

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...