What about Country?

Scarlett

Love Country music. I was 4 years old and we were at a state fair and Conway Twitty kissed me:-) I think my Mom beamed for days... I love a lot of the older ones, especially George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Pardon, Merle Haggard and of course George Strait..I love Kenny Chesney. Saw him in concert and he puts on a fantastic show...full of energy. So much great music to be heard.

Big fan of all of them too as well as Johnny Cash amongst many others. Not familiar with Kenny Chesney's music to comment one way or the other.

I call him Kenny "Cheeseney". He's one of the many things I find the matter with commercial country music today.

His concerts are great. He really does a great live show. And he's a nice guy. Glad we can agree to disagree:-)

Is there a young artist out there now that shares similarities of the artists I mentioned? None of the "Achy Breaky Heart" stuff. With rock I used to think a lot sounded the same concerning today's music until I dug deeper, away from the commercial stuff and realized how much good music there is. Is that the same case with country?

Is there a young artist out there now that shares similarities of the artists I mentioned? None of the "Achy Breaky Heart" stuff. With rock I used to think a lot sounded the same concerning today's music until I dug deeper, away from the commercial stuff and realized how much good music there is. Is that the same case with country?

Yes. Check out some of the artists I've posted about, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

i heard a country song on a college radio station the other day and the music was from a van morrison song and a lynryd skynd song or something...was kind of strange with country lyrics. thanks alot kid rock.

To be honest; I'm not a fan of country, but I love Johnny Cash and slowly discovering Willie pNelson and Hank Williams.

It's interesting with Cash... For anyone has heard At Foldom Prison and At San Quentin... The more rock sound Cash adapted when Luther Perkins died and was replaced with Bob Wooten(sp?). You can really hear the differences when he plays "Folsom Prison Blues", espicially with the guitar. At Folsom Prison has a slower country sound, while the pace picks up considerably on At San Quentin.

And both move miles faster then the original studio version.

Jahfin came up with lots of great bands & artists.

My two favourite records by Ryan Adams, is the records of him which sounds the most country, Jacksonville City Nights and Heartbreaker. Truly two great albums!

Hard Way To Fall - from JCN

A Kiss Before I Go - from JCN

I would also recomend The Sadies New Seasons, which I believe I've already mentioned before LOL. The Sadies can be recomended for anyone into psych, country, rock and rock-a-billy as they are so versatile.

• 9 months later...

I'd highly recommend you listen to Blaze Foley. He was a friend of Townes Van Zandt. Two albums were released and three posthumously. So far I only have Wanted More Dead Than Alive and it's great. There's also a documentary that's supposed to be out later this year.

trailer:

I love old country music. Everything from Lefty Frizzell, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, & Willie Nelson. Unfortunately for the last 25 years country artists don't look to those artists I mentioned to emulate but look to the Eagles instead. I can't stand the Eagles, who are to country what Lady Gaga is to rock, and the artists who emulate them are even worse.

I love old country music. Everything from Lefty Frizzell, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, & Willie Nelson. Unfortunately for the last 25 years country artists don't look to those artists I mentioned to emulate but look to the Eagles instead. I can't stand the Eagles, who are to country what Lady Gaga is to rock, and the artists who emulate them are even worse.

Thankfully, that's not true. While the majority of what you hear on commercial country radio may sound like watered down Eagles/Southern Rock from the 70s, it's not indicative of country music across the board. There has always been a counterpoint to commercial country. In the 70s it was the "Outlaw Movement" and "country-rock", in the 80s it was "cowpunk", in the 90s/00s it's become known by a variety of terms: Americana, No Depression, alt.country, y'allternative, etc.

The clip below is from the Gram Parsons special on Sessions at West 54th that aired on PBS back in the late 90s/early 00s.

I really love country music. I was enamored with it growing up in the 90s and early 2000s but like all music now it seems there's less to like.

All music? There's more to like (and love) out there now than ever before and even better, there's more ways to access it. There's been more new music released this year than I can afford to keep up with.

Thankfully, that's not true. While the majority of what you hear on commercial country radio may sound like watered down Eagles/Southern Rock from the 70s, it's not indicative of country music across the board. There has always been a counterpoint to commercial country. In the 70s it was the "Outlaw Movement" and "country-rock", in the 80s it was "cowpunk", in the 90s/00s it's become known by a variety of terms: Americana, No Depression, alt.country, y'allternative, etc.

The clip below is from the Gram Parsons special on Sessions at West 54th that aired on PBS back in the late 90s/early 00s.

You're right of course, I was generalising a bit. Drive By Truckers, Hank Williams III & Whiskey Town are great but I was really referring to what's popular as far as radio etc,. Popular country music bares little semblance to anything that's actually rooted in country music. It's modern pop music with a an electric fiddle thrown in.

I think I dislike the Eagles as much as I do based on Gram Parsons lol. They really benefited from what he was laying down prior to his death by making his music more commercial. The Eagles aren't awful musically, I just resent them to tell the truth.

I like some country, mainly if it's middle of the road, bluesy, or country rock'ish. And I love the irreverent stuff :):

I appreciate the classics but also like some of the artists some of you dislike. I love the Eagles and Keith Urban; and I also like Sugarland, Lady Antebellum and the Dixie Chicks. And the Zac Brown Band; he's got a little of that Little Feat/Buffet thing going on. I've seen the Eagles, Keith Urban, Sugarland and the Dixie Chicks live and they all put on great shows. Keith is a pretty decent guitar player too. B)

Only country song I ever liked was an old duet, I don't even know the singers but it's a man and woman insulting each other. At one point they say, "You're the reason our kids are ugly!" I heard it once on the BBC World Service when I lived overseas. I'm only one county away from rural America and the music they play on the radio makes me grateful for CDs. :D

Can I recommend an album to everybody who is looking for something outside of the mainstream? It's "Trouble in Mind" by Hayes Carll. Crazy name, awesome dude. Calling his voice whiskey-soaked is kind of an understatement, but in a good way. He kinda reminds me of Bob Dylan...you can really hear it on "A Lover Like You" because the song itself is really Dylan-y, too. His lyrics are pretty good, too...sometimes I tend to ignore the lyrics side of the equation (probably due to having grown up listening to Nirvana), but I always love listening to his songs for the stories as well as the tunes. As for the tunes, one thing I love the instrumental arrangements; his sound is kinda traditional, but the band really spices things up in a way that doesn't make the music sound too pop or too rock. For instance, I never thought of the banjo as a sexy instrument, but the one on "I Got a Gig" is pretty hot, the way they use it. Uh, so yeah, great album. Give any of the songs a listen; there's not a bad one on there.

Oh - and I just wanted to thank Jahfin for turning me on to Steve Earle a while back. I think you were the one who first suggested it, anyway. I got Copperhead Road quite a while ago, but it always takes me a million years to really listen to a whole album and not just play the ones that immediately pop out at me (I know, weird). I was stuck in Coachella Valley with no new music last week, so I just put on that album because I hadn't heard it in a long time and listened to it the whole way through, and it was almost like new. Something about the music went really awesomely with the desert surroundings, and well, gosh darn it if I don't love it to pieces now! I tried to go get Guitar Town the other day, but they didn't have it, so I got one of those "definitive collection" BS things, which is a good start, anyway. I think I've listened to "The Week of Living Dangerously" about 20 times in the last few days, hehe. So anyway, thanks! Life is better with Steve. :)

Archived