Robert: "Out here in the perimeter, there are no stars"

That's interesting because in the book I am reading now with quotes from Robert, Robert really puts down Jim Morrison.

I do remember reading a quote from Robert that he didn't get the popularity of the Doors because why would people pay to have obscenities shouted at them. So maybe he wasnt impressed with them during that Seattle show- but he certainly does like the music.

As mentioned earlier he has often covered Break On Through and mentioned the Doors in a positive light during his HOF speech.

Then again if what I read was from Hammer of the Gods or Cole's books Im sure its misquoted.....

There's a difference between a guy like Robert Plant who made mistakes because he was young and in a big band like Led Zeppelin with all the booze and drugs he want and a person like Jim Morrison. Morrison was a pretty sick person and self destructive. I think the best modern comparison is Axl Rose but a lot more talented.

i am not comparing RP to JM. RP has and always had a strong constitution...Axl Rose lived through his ordeal (though in self imposed exile) but I do see a slight parrallel there to JM if he had survived.

and when you say a sick person..there are stars right now in the news daily in a self destructive mode that are said to have drug issues...well some of them are self medicating to avoid the symptoms of what is their ailment (often bi-polar, obsessive, addictive personalities etc). I don't see having mental/emotional disorders today as taboo...it should be treated the same as someone with diabetes, cancer or anything else. if they get the right meds and therapy they can live fulfulling pretty much normal lives. [in not talking criminally insane here] just those with treatable/managable ailments that are way more pravelent than people think.

you know Jim Morrison died when he was only 27 he did not have time to grow past the the tumultuous years and was also surrounded by the way wrong people in the end...bad drug dealers who just fed into his problem. when he needed to get cleaned up and have meds to regulate his mood swings...that wasn't even happening back then or recognized. he was just thought of as another rock star who died of excess. no he could have lived through it just as even members of LZ have and still be a contributor on the rock scene since he was a genius lyricist and had a knack for inventing styles that are still copied today.

Edited by madison

The Doors and Led Zeppelin played together on Sunday July, the 27th 1969 at Seattle Pop Festival.

Morrison was indeed on his way down, after the Miami incident.

The Doors cut their set short after Morrison, I guess, was too wasted.

Plant gave an interview to NME, Apr. 1970, where he matter of fact just retold what happened at the festival.

But, all you posting about Morrison being bipolar/selfdestructive and whatnot, must understand that you are total nobodies.-

When was the last time you wrote When the Music´s over, Break on Thru and The End?

Ordinarye people always describe artists as crazy, b/c they don´t understand. They don´t breathe the same air.

Debussy was crazy.

Dostojevskij was crazy.

Mozart was crazy.

Morrison was crazy.

But infact they are geniuses!

If anything Mossison is steeped in the same tradition as the poètes maudits: Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Poe, etc.

So I think when Plant makes the referrence to "Out here in the perimeter..." from The Wasp/La Woman, he just acknowledges the craftmanship. A nod from one artist to another.

Plant wrote great lyrics w/ Zeppelin and still sings great Listen to his latest album: "Raising Sand". He sings like no one else!

Plant is an artist, which is also why I don´t see Zeppelin getting together again.

Don't know what Plant said but Morrison while talented wasn't exactly professional. He often didn't make it to stage with Manzarek having to sing. Not to mention Morrison's insults. Zeppelin isn't like that and think the crowd should get what they paid for.

But, all you posting about Morrison being bipolar/selfdestructive and whatnot, must understand that you are total nobodies.-

When was the last time you wrote When the Music´s over, Break on Thru and The End?

Ordinarye people always describe artists as crazy, b/c they don´t understand. They don´t breathe the same air.

Quite honestly, some of the greatest artist of all time were Bi-Polar. While on the high end of the Bi-Polar swing they write, paint, write music or whatever in great abundance and with great focus. The Bi-polar driven focus often leads to great results. The problem is when they swing the other way the destructive behavior kicks in as they get depressed and moody. When the disease is controlled properly the self destructive side can be stopped and tho the person may not get manic and write or paint as much, they will still be able to do so, perhaps not with as much output.

BTW Morrison's "Poetry" is totally over-rated IMO. His voice? It fits his band, but I don't know that he had great range or that he knew how to use his voice as an instrument the way Robert Plant has. JM was a showman and a performance artist of sorts. A great one at that. Robert Plant is an artist and a tremendously talented singer. Listen to The Strange Sensation album, In Through the Out Door and Presence and even Raising Sands and you can see he knows how to use his voice as an instrument. Morrison, while an intruiging persona, could not hold a candle to him vocally.

Edited by Ralphster5150

since JM died at age 27: Who knows what further works he would have done if he had survived and had what we call today an "intervention".

i think it's kinda unfair comparing him to those having another 30 years to write, create and grow. and judging him on his actions on his way down ...harsh.

i was only guessing (wrong thing to do i admit) on the bipolar thing etc. i don't have any idea. all i know he was extremenly moody, sensitive and even in early '67 he was his own worst enemy & critic and if the slightest thing went wrong in a show he'd be harsh on himself and took it out on others too.

RIP JM

since JM died at age 27: Who knows what further works he would have done if he had survived and had what we call today an "intervention".

i think it's kinda unfair comparing him to those having another 30 years to write, create and grow. and judging him on his actions on his way down ...harsh.

i was only guessing (wrong thing to do i admit) on the bipolar thing etc. i don't have any idea. all i know he was extremenly moody, sensitive and even in early '67 he was his own worst enemy & critic and if the slightest thing went wrong in a show he'd be harsh on himself and took it out on others too.

RIP JM

He had an intervention; that was the problem. Interveners do not always have a person's best interest at heart, and even when they do, they are sometimes inadequate in their strategies and methods. Sometimes intervention is nothing more than aggravating aggression with no positive results.

I don't think it's necessary that a person be likable for you to like their music.

Also, Morrison has been deified. He was a wonderful musician/lyricist/poet, but he was also a drug addict and alcoholic, who often got violent or abusive and otherwise unpredictable. Maybe this is what Plant (along with many others) didn't/don't like. He wasted so much talent by drowning it in alcohol and numbing it with drugs.

Morrison was an alcoholic, but not a drug addict. Also, what do you mean he was "violent"? Are you basing that on the horrid Oliver Stone film, which contains a totally fictitious scene of Jim supposedly locking his girlfriend in a closet and setting it afire? Never happened.

Anyhoo, back to the subject: I was thrilled but very surprised when Robert quoted Jim's "out here on the perimeter there are no stars" line. From what I remember -- and this would be long, long ago like late 80's probably -- Robert said something like the Doors music maybe sounded a bit cheesy back in the day, but with time it had improved. I'm paraphrasing of course, and not doing a very good job :) Basically, Plant was saying The Doors weren't a cool band to like in the late 60's, but their music had held up over the years.

I'm currently listening to The Doors 40th anniversary mix of "L.A. Woman" and it's outstanding -- the production is almost holographic, it's so vivid.

Morrison was an alcoholic, but not a drug addict. Also, what do you mean he was "violent"? Are you basing that on the horrid Oliver Stone film, which contains a totally fictitious scene of Jim supposedly locking his girlfriend in a closet and setting it afire? Never happened.

Anyhoo, back to the subject: I was thrilled but very surprised when Robert quoted Jim's "out here on the perimeter there are no stars" line. From what I remember -- and this would be long, long ago like late 80's probably -- Robert said something like the Doors music maybe sounded a bit cheesy back in the day, but with time it had improved. I'm paraphrasing of course, and not doing a very good job :) Basically, Plant was saying The Doors weren't a cool band to like in the late 60's, but their music had held up over the years.

I'm currently listening to The Doors 40th anniversary mix of "L.A. Woman" and it's outstanding -- the production is almost holographic, it's so vivid.

I seriously doubt that Robert Plant or anyone else ever quite understood Jim Morrison.

I should add that the lyrics of L.A. Woman totally summarize what it is like to live in Los Angeles. Jim Morrison completely got the picture.

Edited by eternal light

jim was an alcoholic and he did any drug that was in front of him...peyote, pills, coke, etc. so in that sense he was a drug addict...and jim could be considered as violent in destroying property when he was drunk...and it's not from the stone movie which had horrible casting...meg ryan couldn't act to save her life...to read jim antic's look at no one gets alive book by danny sugarman

He had an intervention; that was the problem. Interveners do not always have a person's best interest at heart, and even when they do, they are sometimes inadequate in their strategies and methods. Sometimes intervention is nothing more than aggravating aggression with no positive results.

after thinking about this it's is true they don't always work and the ones "helping" them don't always have their best interests at heart or are in even worse case than the one they are trying to help. plus the person who needs to get "clean" gets to the point of trusting no one (or the wrong people like enablers).

in the ones where it has worked (and there are some really high profile people on this list) i think they really wanted to change and had the right people around them.

after thinking about this it's is true they don't always work and the ones "helping" them don't always have their best interests at heart or are in even worse case than the one they are trying to help. plus the person who needs to get "clean" gets to the point of trusting no one (or the wrong people like enablers).

in the ones where it has worked (and there are some really high profile people on this list) i think they really wanted to change and had the right people around them.

If he could have evaded the ones who targeted him. His death occurred under suspicious circumstances. He had some of the right people around him; the problem was with those who were wrong for him but continued to pursue him.

If he could have evaded the ones who targeted him. His death occurred under suspicious circumstances. He had some of the right people around him; the problem was with those who were wrong for him but continued to pursue him.

yup, and he probably thought getting away to Paris would help. nope.

RP's quote at the O2 was just an instinctive ad lib. He started to say, "out here..." as in "out here in the crowd..." and that obviously triggered the Jim Morrison quote in his head so he went with it. Probably had a few people scratching their heads, but I guess most of the old timers in the crowd would have got it. I thought it was great, as were most of his Plantations that evening. I do think he was cut off from saying something else at the beginning of Rock And Roll. You sort of hear him start a word and then the drums kick off. Now we'll never know. :-(

Hi All

I was at the concert and at the time noticed the Jim M reference. However at the risk of being boring I wondered whether there was also a more down to earth explanation. Robert was about to talk about the 50 countries represented in the crowd, and I wonder if the 'perimeter' reference was also 'geographic', as in a sly nod to the 02 arena's location which is well out of the centre of London and often seen as difficult to get to etc. I could get more tenouus by wondering whether the 'there are no stars' reference was an ironic quip given all the celebrities there. We shall never know I'm sure!

Tom

RP's quote at the O2 was just an instinctive ad lib. He started to say, "out here..." as in "out here in the crowd..." and that obviously triggered the Jim Morrison quote in his head so he went with it. ....

Indeed. Spot on.

The Doors and Led Zeppelin played together on Sunday July, the 27th 1969 at Seattle Pop Festival.

Morrison was indeed on his way down, after the Miami incident.

The Doors cut their set short after Morrison, I guess, was too wasted.

Plant gave an interview to NME, Apr. 1970, where he matter of fact just retold what happened at the festival.

Debussy was crazy.

Dostojevskij was crazy.

Mozart was crazy.

Morrison was crazy.

But infact they are geniuses!

If anything Mossison is steeped in the same tradition as the poètes maudits: Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Poe, etc.

So I think when Plant makes the referrence to "Out here in the perimeter..." from The Wasp/La Woman, he just acknowledges the craftmanship. A nod from one artist to another.

Plant wrote great lyrics w/ Zeppelin and still sings great Listen to his latest album: "Raising Sand". He sings like no one else!

Plant is an artist, which is also why I don´t see Zeppelin getting together again.

your info is helpful,however your insults to fans are not,this is a led zeppelin website/fourm Robert has seperate ones for his solo ventures ,as well as a raising sand promo site ------truth is Robert is about much more then tunes for the sake of a tune exclusively----consider all the continum of the threads of his lyrics as well as interviews and statements here and there-----perhaps if you investigate many many of the details you may gain more insight to.........kashmir? & et'al

A psychic hired by a British tv show about the paranormal supposedly contacted Jim in the afterlife a couple years ago. He is fine, and thinking about reincarnating as a woman somewhere in the Arab world because he feels strongly about how females are oppressed and mistreated in that culture.

I'm not saying I believe it, mind, but ... it's kind of interesting. In the future, we should keep an eye out for any highly intelligent Arab woman who writes poetry and looks sensational in black leather.

P.S. Does anyone here know if the 1970 NME where Robert talks about the gig with the Doors is online? I'd love to hear his description of events.

Edited by FireOpal

thoughts to ponder:http//www.doors.com/miami/in.html-- about the miami incedant ---a word to look up online:Duessa--- Greenman August 20-his, tri-goddess of the May celebrations Rhiannon of banbury crossroads March 5, as it is above so be it below-----Now you know who is NOT LIVING in harmony------TRUTH is more than it appears &sounds as well as looks can be decieving! ps. over this last year the real Lady been known openly in some circles--March 5,1964--- Una---lets say----and mr.Jim morrison also made refference to5:1---------i could go on----for now that will do

Edited by lajoie

In reference to Plant making negative comments about Morrisson, I read once that it was early in Zep's career and Jim was drunk and insulting the audience. Apparently Plant was disgusted about his behaviour. Probably when they shared the same bill though I'm not certain.