WTF? Page BUTCHERED WLOL on Song Remains the Same!

bluesunday

I'm just mouthing off here and this probably belongs in the TSRTS topic but I was listening to the new remastered and expanded edition of TSRTS soundtrack, the double CD, and was horrified when it came to listening to Whole Lot of Love (in particular) because Page shortened the "James Brown" segment of the jam!! On the original it went several minutes longer! How could he do this??? Why??? That part where Jimmy is just doing rhythm. Know what part I'm talking about?

I was listening to my old analogue tape cassette of the soundtrack and always loved this segment of the song. And here, I thought with this newly expanded and remixed version of the soundtrack we would get some of these tunes COMPLETE and instead it's butchered even more!!!!

Alright, I said my piece.

I'm just mouthing off here and this probably belongs in the TSRTS topic but I was listening to the new remastered and expanded edition of TSRTS soundtrack, the double CD, and was horrified when it came to listening to Whole Lot of Love (in particular) because Page shortened the "James Brown" segment of the jam!! On the original it went several minutes longer! How could he do this??? Why??? That part where Jimmy is just doing rhythm. Know what part I'm talking about?

I was listening to my old analogue tape cassette of the soundtrack and always loved this segment of the song. And here, I thought with this newly expanded and remixed version of the soundtrack we would get some of these tunes COMPLETE and instead it's butchered even more!!!!

F - YOU Page! I can't STAND what you've done to Whole Lot of Love. You RUINED this tune for me.

First, it's WLL (as in Whole Lotta Love, the title).

Second, I'm guessing the shortened JB is due to copyright concerns. That's typically what's spurned Page to eliminate things.

Third, the edits on the CD were done to fit the visuals of the movie. The soundtrack now goes along with the video, and I do believe that the JB parts were much shorter in the original movie as well as opposed to the original 1976 soundtrack release.

Fourth, F YOU. You've still got the original soundtrack, so listen to that if the remastered version bothers you so much.

Fifth, yes, this has been covered ad nauseum in other threads about TSRTS. You could have followed forum rules and just post them there.

"F- YOU Page?" Chill out dude. :huh:

Yeah..that was over the top.

I admit I was disappointed that the cuts from the movie itself were used instead of sonically cleaning up and expanding the original soundtrack. Very disappointed. But I guess Jimmy had his reasons, whatever they may be.

Don't like the editing? Look for a good boot. :P

While I'm not ready to say F You to Page, his heavy hand in the editing room does frustrate me. My favorite part of the HMMT medley at RAH is "That's Alright". I pop in the DVD and it's like SNIP! SURPISE! He did the same thing on the WLL medley from the Paris Theater on the BBC sessions. Another version of "That's Alright" left to the bootlegs. I'm sure there are royalties . . . but it doesn't come out of holdings, it comes out of profits. And they can certainly afford it.

Jimmy giveth . . . and Jimmy taketh away. Led Wallet strikes again! :lol:

Archived