Plant was influenced by J. R. R. Tolkien?

Shu Chang

Buahah, touche. Though I do disagree... of course, while a fan of Tolkien, I am not partial to the Lord of the Rings. So really, I think LOTR is generally boring and long-winded, while his other work is marvelous. I disagree specifically with the vocabulary comment. While Tolkien created, what I concider to be, a very thorough, intricate, complete novel (as it certainly was not his idea to make a trilogy, rather he wished for it to originally be one book*), I think his talent was in the construction of plots and peoples, rather than vocabulary. His discriptions were not as flowery as I'm accustomed to with some of the other things I read.

Also, I'm not a great fan of fantasy, so I am not particularily well read in the works of those other authors you mentioned. But if you wanna talk about Tolkien, let's talk ;)

*He stated this many times, quite repetitvely too, in his many letters which were thoroughly published in The Letters of JRR Tolkien, a very interesting read, as Tolkien had so much swimming around in his head which pertained to the whole of Ea. Unfinished Tales is a wonderful book as well for this reason.

Buahah, touche. Though I do disagree... of course, while a fan of Tolkien, I am not partial to the Lord of the Rings. So really, I think LOTR is generally boring and long-winded, while his other work is marvelous. I disagree specifically with the vocabulary comment. While Tolkien created, what I concider to be, a very thorough, intricate, complete novel (as it certainly was not his idea to make a trilogy, rather he wished for it to originally be one book*), I think his talent was in the construction of plots and peoples, rather than vocabulary. His discriptions were not as flowery as I'm accustomed to with some of the other things I read.

Also, I'm not a great fan of fantasy, so I am not particularily well read in the works of those other authors you mentioned. But if you wanna talk about Tolkien, let's talk ;)

*He stated this many times, quite repetitvely too, in his many letters which were thoroughly published in The Letters of JRR Tolkien, a very interesting read, as Tolkien had so much swimming around in his head which pertained to the whole of Ea. Unfinished Tales is a wonderful book as well for this reason.

No doubt a linguist and religious scholar like Tolkien had much swimming around in his head. Had he the luxury of writing on a computer would he have produced/finished more? (Or what other works of Shakespeare, Dickens and Twain would the world have if those three had had laptops?) Would Tolkien approve of the executors of his estate publishing notes and letters? Letters maybe, writers' letters are usually interesting; I'm fond of Chandler's. Methinks JRRT would be none too happy about The Silmarillion and History of Middle-Earth, but like with Led Zeppelin, all one can do is speculate (and therein lies the fun.)

Admittedly I've not delved into the plethora of Tolkien's academic work but I HAVE tried to read outside his magum opus and was disappointed. Too whimsical for the adult reader. Conversely Samuel Clemens sometimes wrote about children as major characters but with adult perspective. Regarding my disappointment with JRRT: The Adventures of Tom Bombadil is in verse; Farmer Giles of Ham and Smith of Wootton Major are evidently intended for children. Upon reflection Smith is a story I can't wait to read aloud to my nephew, aged 4 and a big fan of cake. When he's 10 I'll introduce him to Edgar Rice Burroughs (via Frank Frazetta.)

Reading Tolkien's unfinished works in progress must be tough sledding, his finished work is challenge enough. I admire Tolkien, but reading him is often an uphill slog. Depending on whose list you believe Lord of the Rings has a readership between 100 and 150 million and is being called the most beloved fiction of the 20th century.

A crushing revelation to 400 million Harry Potter fans. :D

And it was actually not a "trilogy", simply a book divided into 3 parts.

Hi all,

And it was actually not a "trilogy", simply a book divided into 3 parts.

No,the LOTR,is in 6 books,by Tolkien.The reason for the 'trilogy',was that in the mid-late 50's there was a paper shortage,in England.The cost and price of printing and publishing a 1,000+page book at that time would make any sense.

If any who like/loves/doesn't understand the LOTR,I would streer you to any book by Tom Shippey,....

KB

Hi all,

No,the LOTR,is in 6 books,by Tolkien.The reason for the 'trilogy',was that in the mid-late 50's there was a paper shortage,in England.The cost and price of printing and publishing a 1,000+page book at that time would make any sense.

If any who like/loves/doesn't understand the LOTR,I would streer you to any book by Tom Shippey,....

KB

I've never seen it published in 6 books before. How was it divided?

Hi all,

Sorry,your right,it was never published like that.That was the way Tolkien divided it.I can pull it out later and tell you what chapters start each book,...

KB

Hi all,

Fellowship:

Book I

A Long-expected Party

End: Flight to the Ford

Book II

Many Meetings

End:The Breaking of the Fellowship

TTT:

Book III

The Departure of Boromir

End:The Palantír

Book IV

The Taming of Sméagol

End:The Choices of Master Samwise

TRoTK:

Book V

Minas Tirith

End:The Black Gate Opens

Book VI

The Tower of Cirth Ungol

End: The Grey Havens

KB ("Well,I'm back.")

p.s.Hey Tink!!!! :wave:

Has anyone mentioned No Quarter?I think it's the fellowship of the ring crossing the mountains.As far as i know:

Ramble On

Misty Mountain Hop

No Quarter

Battle Of Evermore

Kashmir* (The "gentle race" this world has seldom seen might be the elves)

Stairway* (It might be the old question of,"Go over the seas or Stay with Aragorn,staying is the mortals Stairway to heaven)

Friends

*Maybe

There's probably more

I don't think Kashmir is. But I read somewhere No Quarter drew influence from JRRT. If I'm remembering the correctly the book I read was Led Zeppelin Talking by which author's name escapes me at the moment.

Hi all,

Fellowship:

Book I

A Long-expected Party

End: Flight to the Ford

Book II

Many Meetings

End:The Breaking of the Fellowship

TTT:

Book III

The Departure of Boromir

End:The Palantír

Book IV

The Taming of Sméagol

End:The Choices of Master Samwise

TRoTK:

Book V

Minas Tirith

End:The Black Gate Opens

Book VI

The Tower of Cirth Ungol

End: The Grey Havens

KB ("Well,I'm back.")

p.s.Hey Tink!!!! :wave:

Hey, cool that you are a Tolkien Fan as well, Zepy! :banana:

From where did you pull this information out? I'm really interested in and would be glad if you were sharing it with me!

Was there ever a 6 part issue or was it just an intention of J.R.R. Tolkien?

If so, I wonder if there never was an attempt to release one. It would be a reference to the old story writer tradition Dickens once started. Well, it would be only a refernce because his stories were really published brand new in a certain timeline and readers were eagerly waiting for the story being continued (.... in his very beginning Charles Dickens published his stories in newspapers...) but I would appreciate it anyway!

I was very fond of Stephen Kings "Green Mile" six month version which was the first issue of it and indeed meant as a reference to C.D.

I was introduced to the LOTR books when I was twelve and I never really stopped reading it or other stuff about it. I'm deeply involved in the tale and somehow it intrigues me to start with the story telling in celtic tradition eventually.

Tink

Hi all,

Hi Tink! :D

From where did you pull this information out? I'm really interested in and would be glad if you were sharing it with me!

Oh,been reading LOTR,once a year since '77.Like to share it with anyone,but your a special lass,.... ;)

Was there ever a 6 part issue or was it just an intention of J.R.R. Tolkien?

If so, I wonder if there never was an attempt to release one.

No.Like I stated,when Fellowship came out it(the -trilogy-) was because 1) the paper shortage in 1954 Britian 2) The publisher could not justify printing a 1,000 pages book.The publisher and editor(Unwin) asked Tolkien to break it down to the volumes we know today.Tolkien wrote LOTR as single novel,but at the time it couldn't get published like that.He did break it down to 'books' as I outlined above.

It would be a reference to the old story writer tradition Dickens once started. Well, it would be only a refernce because his stories were really published brand new in a certain timeline and readers were eagerly waiting for the story being continued (.... in his very beginning Charles Dickens published his stories in newspapers...) but I would appreciate it anyway!

Your right!Remember Dickens wrote his first stories for newpapers,hence he had to have them printed in a serial,i.e., part 1,2,3.Much like the old pulp mags of the 1930's in the US,or like early comics(no friends,no books,just tune in next day/week/month to catch up)

I was very fond of Stephen Kings "Green Mile" six month version which was the first issue of it and indeed meant as a reference to C.D.

Let's leave Herr King out of this,right now. :P

I was introduced to the LOTR books when I was twelve and I never really stopped reading it or other stuff about it. I'm deeply involved in the tale and somehow it intrigues me to start with the story telling in celtic tradition eventually.

Aye,I hear you lass.Again,read Tom Shippey's; JRR Tolkien "Author of the Century"

And it wouldn't hurt to read "Lion of Ireland" either,....

Take care sugar,KB :wave:

Hi all,

And that has to do with what? :blink:

Did you read the header?

KB,...

Hah I knew someone was bound to give me flak for that.

Just that someone said STH was inspired by JRRT to which someone corrected with uhm another incorrect info, so just thought I'd throw in what I heard straight off the horse's mouth.

Anyway, I only read/have 3 books of JRRT. I'm no fan ... Got nothing much to throw in....

Robert Plant has no known influences from William Faulkner. So I shut up now.

Hi all,

Hah I knew someone was bound to give me flak for that.

Just that someone said STH was inspired by JRRT to which someone corrected with uhm another incorrect info, so just thought I'd throw in what I heard straight off the horse's mouth.

Anyway, I only read/have 3 books of JRRT. I'm no fan ... Got nothing much to throw in....

Robert Plant has no known influences from William Faulkner. So I shut up now.

Helloooo,Percy! :D

No flak,have a bier and I got some pizza on order,.....

Yet,there are lines in STH that do mirror Tolkien,in a way,...

Read the thread,have a slice or three and get me a bier,then we will talk! :lol:

KB

Hi all,

Helloooo,Percy! :D

No flak,have a bier and I got some pizza on order,.....

Yet,there are lines in STH that do mirror Tolkien,in a way,...

Read the thread,have a slice or three and get me a bier,then we will talk! :lol:

KB

Dude 2 slices my max lol, and I hate beer breath anyway so I will sit back here and enjoy your posts, lol.

So which lines of STH channel JRRT...

Hi all,

Dude 2 slices my max lol, and I hate beer breath anyway so I will sit back here and enjoy your posts, lol.

So which lines of STH channel JRRT...

Two is the number and the number shall be two,... :lol:

LOTR:FOTR:

Strider

"All that is gold does not glitter"

Stairway to Heaven

"All that glitters is gold"

KB(more bier for meeeeee!)

Hi Tink! :D

...... but your a special lass,.... ;)

So, you are Irish? I must have been many times - but now there are a thousand years between! In this days I'm German but BIrish, which is in fact a big difference if it comes to a comparison with other parts of my country ... (Sorry, northern fellow Germans, but we all know very well how much our tempers are shifting ....) I'm still dancing with the faeries and I can't leave kissing tiny flowers....! :wub:

Hey, had a stroll around the 6 Reasons the Irish Aren't So Lucky ...... Guess I should have a drink on you ...... :beer:

Let's leave Herr King out of this,right now. :P

Yeah, he's said to be trivial, but most people ARE trivial and so are there greatest fears. And King is a master of pointing out all of them ..... very trivial indeed... ;) LOL

Aye,I hear you lass.Again,read Tom Shippey's; JRR Tolkien "Author of the Century"

And it wouldn't hurt to read "Lion of Ireland" either,....

Take care sugar,KB :wave:

Aye, I will! After nearly five weeks I'm allowed to leave the hospital tomorrow. Someone bumped me off my Harley and I'm glad being as good as new after another 4 weeks in a rehabilitation clinic! :cheer:

Stay tuned!

Tink

people seem to believe so.. i remember once at a pool hall when i was a kid. there was these

giant speakers mounted on the wall. with a local radio station blaring through them. a zep song came on. this woman turns to me and goes " oh you like that? "yeah" "it's all about the hobbit! they wrote everything based on the hobbit!!" "ummm ok sure" "well they're still ok, but they wrote all their songs about the hobbit. they ripped off the hobbit!!, the hobbit!!!" "whatever"

• 1 month later...
Plant also included some lyrics influenced directly by his personal life... i.e. his dog, Merle, in the lyric "blue-eyed Merle"

In the intero to the "Song Remains the Same" movie you see the dog; a blue eyed myrle which is a coloration of collie, a blue eyed border collie, with a grey, white and black coat, to be exact.

please, go on. share. i'm interested.

i do believe that 'she' is universal in the overall scheme. she is looking for her soulmate. she is looking for her god, she is looking for spiritual evolution, she is looking for what we all want. plant may have personalized the song for him and named the 'lady'.

and again, 'the song remains the same'. holds true for STH, the outcome is the same for each of us, how we get 'there' is the 'path' we choose, each of us a star, obstacles along the way, as we all experience.

:coffee:

First off I know that I am goingto tick some people off but here goes it.

STH

"The Lady who knows" in the song very simply is the Goddess, pick a pantheon.

"All that glitters is gold" the alchemical theory tht the soul though careful practice can be made pure and as gold is pure and precious there for

"she is buying the Stairway to heaven" for to purify the soul it is alot of hard work and you pay for your hard work/knowledge in some way now don't you?

also refeances to "the May Queen" ( rites of Beltaine)

"the road" is a referance to the path of the craft

"shadows taller than our souls" a shadow self that is both loathed and feared but needs to be embraced.

"there walks a Lady we all know" the eternal mother, maiden, lover, crone, who has been known throughout all mythologies. Frequently represented by the light of the moon and the keeper and revealer of secrects and mysteries.

"to be a rock and not to roll"

that if you are stable and watch you could actually learn something.

that is just an witches view

ramble on people

)0(

Archived