Plant was influenced by J. R. R. Tolkien?

Shu Chang

STH was written with the masonic manual as inspiration, thru jimmy, plant was the 'puppet' as he 'wrote' the lyrics.
I've never heard that, the consensus seems to point to Spence's book. Plant did say that the pen seemed to be "pushed along" by a higher power, but I doubt very strongly it was tied to anything Masonic or the Masons. Where did you hear that ? Are you a Mason ?

Robert Plant, is a member of the Owain Glyndwr Society.

Owain was the welsh Prince of Wales in the 14th century,who captured,Harlech Castle, and Aberystwyth, it is known Robert Plant was fascinated by him. In September 2004, in The Church of our Lady and St Peter and Vincula Church, in the village of Pennal, nr Machynlleth Robert unveiled a Bronze Statue, in honour of Owain Glyndwr. Owain Glyndwr,loved magic, and legends, and Battles, and Castles. No one to this day knew what happened to him, some say he just walked into the mists, on his estate in Seachet,nr Oswestry, Powys and was never seen again, I think this great Prince played a great influence in many of the lyrics surrounding Led Zeppelin.

Hi all,

Can't anything be simple? :D

Tolkien was part of the reason,not the whole,Now in the 70's find these two words in a song Gollum (Tolkien) and Mordor(meaning black),oh and Ringwraiths,........ :)

Extra points:All that wander are not lost.

KB(orc)

what i mean is that STH was structured in similar manner as the degrees in becoming a master mason. stairs, steps, the 'prize' at the top. two paths, the word.

and yes, much added in as well with plant's creativity and words. i don't doubt that.

jimmy's call in the end ;)

no, i am not a mason, but i have been researching, sometimes TOO much, and have found many questions and many similarities. i admit, i have just scratched the surface, but i do understand that the song was 'lifted' (i use that word in my defense becuz it has been told this way to me) from the mason ritual manual. i have researched many hours and have undoubtly linked page with this 'path'.

his pencil moving? i highly doubt that, they were high, jimmy and robert. MAYBE they 'saw' it move thru halicination.

but anyway as stated in another thread, jimmy doesn't like to go there, so we can stop. and let what we know to be what each knows.

rob

Little bits & pieces here & there are true-it`s a blend of things----some of it is not accurate......I will say Stairway to Heaven is about a real person, 1) if you see the video from the original footage Robert says and motions hand to himself...................and she is coming to me.........................2)people in certain circles have seen her.........2 weeksbefore.....Robert announced that he would begin raising sand project........she was out at a major Rock event............3) july23 is neptunelia--according to myth a dolphin,gets used to bring the Mermaid back to Marry the god neptune.....no she is not Duessa...she was born prior to the 1st time the song was sung at Ulster March5,1971....well there is a whole lot lot more ..........thats all.......I`ll add here...............for now

Little bits & pieces here & there are true-it`s a blend of things----some of it is not accurate......I will say Stairway to Heaven is about a real person, 1) if you see the video from the original footage Robert says and motions hand to himself...................and she is coming to me.........................2)people in certain circles have seen her.........2 weeksbefore.....Robert announced that he would begin raising sand project........she was out at a major Rock event............3) july23 is neptunelia--according to myth a dolphin,gets used to bring the Mermaid back to Marry the god neptune............well there is a whole lot lot more ..........thats all.......I`ll add here...............for now

please, go on. share. i'm interested.

i do believe that 'she' is universal in the overall scheme. she is looking for her soulmate. she is looking for her god, she is looking for spiritual evolution, she is looking for what we all want. plant may have personalized the song for him and named the 'lady'.

and again, 'the song remains the same'. holds true for STH, the outcome is the same for each of us, how we get 'there' is the 'path' we choose, each of us a star, obstacles along the way, as we all experience.

that`s one of the great things about art...............every one may interpret................the experience.........according to their perception ......right where their at.......................It may not be same as the creator.............they often leave it open..........

she may have paid for it by allowing an entire 40 year generation to have prospered from her as a muse and maybe it`s time they give back to her? Perhaps getting a lot of gold painted statues really didn`t matter to her she choose a different road along time ago ? Maybe she sang for free all these years? Maybe one day we will all find out these unsolved mysteries?

what i mean is that STH was structured in similar manner as the degrees in becoming a master mason. stairs, steps, the 'prize' at the top. two paths, the word.

and yes, much added in as well with plant's creativity and words. i don't doubt that.

jimmy's call in the end ;)

no, i am not a mason, but i have been researching, sometimes TOO much, and have found many questions and many similarities. i admit, i have just scratched the surface, but i do understand that the song was 'lifted' (i use that word in my defense becuz it has been told this way to me) from the mason ritual manual. i have researched many hours and have undoubtly linked page with this 'path'.

his pencil moving? i highly doubt that, they were high, jimmy and robert. MAYBE they 'saw' it move thru halicination.

but anyway as stated in another thread, jimmy doesn't like to go there, so we can stop. and let what we know to be what each knows.

rob

I didn't say his "pencil was moving" Plant has said many times that he felt it was being "pushed" along by a higher source "Stairway To Heaven" first took shape in December 1970, as Zeppelin were limbering up for their fourth album. Jimmy Page was tinkering with the riff by the fire at Headley Grange, a big Victorian mansion in Hampshire that the band had hired for rehearsal, when Robert Plant suddenly plucked the lyrics out of the air. "I was holding a pencil and paper," Plant later recalled, "all of a sudden my hand was writing out the words… I just sat there and looked at them, and almost leapt out of my seat!" Unsurprisingly Plant doesn't take much creditfor the lyrics and attributes any success to their ambiguity:

and attributes any success to their ambiguity

And that is a very important point to make, imo. What we SEE in a thing is often a great deal more important than the thing itself. I think the ambiguity in Zeppelins lyrics is purposeful, and done with intent. Others might argue to the contrary, and they are certainly free to do so , but the fact that they ARE so ambiguous is the very reason why we have these discussions about them in the first place.

and attributes any success to their ambiguity

And that is a very important point to make, imo. What we SEE in a thing is often a great deal more important than the thing itself. I think the ambiguity in Zeppelins lyrics is purposeful, and done with intent. Others might argue to the contrary, and they are certainly free to do so , but the fact that they ARE so ambiguous is the very reason why we have these discussions about them in the first place.

Good point, I liken it to discussing religion or philosophy, there is no one truth, it's all in the perception of the individual. What they mean to us, the problem I have is when someone claims to "know" what the lyrics mean ...in absolute. Part of the magic of music is that is speaks to us on a personal level and it becomes part of us, that's why we have favorite songs, songs that get us through, bring us joy and so forth. One of the wondrful things about Zeppelin's music is that encourage some of us to seek a deeper meaning, and that has lead me to wonderful books, music and ideas.

the problem I have is when someone claims to "know" what the lyrics mean ...in absolute.

no, i said the song was structured about the masonic faith (ritual) and tweaked from there to be a universal song that can apply to the average man. i say 'man' to represent both man and woman.

i didn't say that i KNOW the exact meaning. as stated earlier, the meaning is individualistic.

k, i'm not gonna beat a dead horse anymore.

peace.

quote: "The sun is one of the Lesser Lights, and the symbol of a Master Mason. The ladder is the stairway to heaven as seen by Jacob in a vision (Genesis 28:10). Its three rungs represent Faith, Hope, and Charity. The globe rests on branches from an acacia tree, symbolizing immortality."

maybe some reading in is order, then come back.

google 'stairway mason' see what u get ;)

no, i said the song was structured about the masonic faith (ritual) and tweaked from there to be a universal song that can apply to the average man. i say 'man' to represent both man and woman.

i didn't say that i KNOW the exact meaning. as stated earlier, the meaning is individualistic.

k, i'm not gonna beat a dead horse anymore.

peace.

I wasn't talking about you FITW, sorry you misunderstood....Peace back at you...

quote: "The sun is one of the Lesser Lights, and the symbol of a Master Mason. The ladder is the stairway to heaven as seen by Jacob in a vision (Genesis 28:10). Its three rungs represent Faith, Hope, and Charity. The globe rests on branches from an acacia tree, symbolizing immortality."

maybe some reading in is order, then come back.

google 'stairway mason' see what u get ;)

I see what you are saying FITW, but this doesn't mean that Robert Plant had these 'specific' things in mind when he penned STH. I was only stating that Spence's book has been mentioned by many as an one possible source of inspiration behind the lyrics. As for being able to Google 'stairway mason', this is very interesting, but still it does not make it a truth because one can "Google" it. As I stated before, interpretation is left up to the individual, these are intriguing indeed, but not the only way of looking at it. "Two paths" brother....if not more. Peace, sorry if I've offended you in anyway..not my intention.

Archived