Led Zeppelin Shepperton Film Studios Aug 1974

SteveAJones

Fuck. It sounds a bit bizarre when one of the most popular music acts of all time doesn't have a single decently-filmed concert.

Pretty predictable, as Pagey is an OC perfectionist. Albert Hall isn't as bad, as there aren't THAT many edits audio and video wise. It's similar to what the O2 show came out as, but a few mismatched songs here and there.

As for the 28.07.73 MSG footage, we don't know exactly what portion of the concert was filmed, do we? I just want to see the guitar solo part that lasts for about 3 minutes.

I'm pretty sure if we DID know, it would be well out there. All I can reveal is how much has surfaced, which I think is around 30 minutes. The 27th takes the cake for the most footage available.

6:08-9:35

The last minute or so is a funky bit from the 27th. Wish they added this to the film.

Geezer, there are things that I do and don't know. Many of these questions you ask are totally out of my range.

Here are the things I DON'T know:

How many cameras were rolling

How many cameras were simutaneously rolling

How much film was shot on all three nights overall

How much Shepperton footage was shot

How many songs at Shepperton were shot

If Thank You from the 29th was filmed

If it was 16 or 35mm film

If there were more cameras on one night from the next

What I DO know:

How much film circulates from the 27th, 28th, and 29th

How the the "concert audio" was built

How much Shepperton footage circulates

How to differenciate the Shepperton and MSG footage and photos

Jonesy's outfit patterns on all three nights plus Shepperton

That Page wore his stars and planets jacket for the first three songs of the show

Can that narrow your questions down?

I can say that all shots that made the The Song Remains the Same are sourced from 35mm film. 16mm doesn't offer this kind of quality:

abjcmuG7.jpg

On the other hand, I can add that some shots that made the bonus section of the Blu-ray are sourced from 16mm film:

actIjMvP.jpg

Yeah, Shepperton was definitely shot on 35mm.

The bonus songs clearly weren't scanned as good as the film itself (except for the cutting copy of Celebration day which is excellent) and that can account for the lower quality.

The cutting copy of Celebration Day (MSG, 35mm):

adjKgFj9.jpg

abpqZmif.jpg

abstx08R.jpg

ade2tHZQ.jpg

acyYwKhG.jpg

adtfnzP1.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Please pardon if this has been discussed in the past... But, My gut feeling is that Bonzo also wore a wig at the Shepperton. It was obvious that Jonesy wore one, but even Bonzo's hair was cut shorter by August 1974, wasn't it? It seems that his hair was very long and quite curly for the Shepperton filming, which may indicate a wig. Also, Robert was probably 10 pounds heavier by the time Shepperton was filmed, but Bonzo had to have an extra 20 pounds on by then.... Any additional thoughts?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Please pardon if this has been discussed in the past... But, My gut feeling is that Bonzo also wore a wig at the Shepperton. It was obvious that Jonesy wore one, but even Bonzo's hair was cut shorter by August 1974, wasn't it? It seems that his hair was very long and quite curly for the Shepperton filming, which may indicate a wig. Also, Robert was probably 10 pounds heavier by the time Shepperton was filmed, but Bonzo had to have an extra 20 pounds on by then.... Any additional thoughts?

John Bonham is wearing a wig (& not a very good one) for the Shepperton filming.

I searched the forum for TSRTS threads and read through a few but didn't see any mention of the end of Dazed where it looks like they speed up the film for Bonzo's final drum roll..

Is the End of Dazed from Shepperton? I know John has some speed, but I would really to like to know if Bonzo is that amazingly fast or did they do a bit of trickery to make him look that way?.

Is the End of Dazed from Shepperton? I know John has some speed, but I would really to like to know if Bonzo is that amazingly fast or did they do a bit of trickery to make him look that way?.

If I recall correctly the consensus was the movement is shown at actual speed, not sped up.

If I recall correctly the consensus was the movement is shown at actual speed, not sped up.

Thanks, Steve! I always felt that it looks right because of the natural looking motion of his hair but damn his hands are moving at the speed of light!!

• 3 years later...

Archived