Led Zeppelin Shepperton Film Studios Aug 1974

SteveAJones

These are fantastic photos Steve Jones! You are truely the only officianado that comes through with not only information but also wonderful rare photos. I'm truely grateful for your passion and generosity. Thanks again Steve! sincerely, David..........Horselunges

These are fantastic photos Steve Jones! You are truely the only officianado that comes through with not only information but also wonderful rare photos. I'm truely grateful for your passion and generosity. Thanks again Steve! sincerely, David..........Horselunges

I'm not the only one! David Zoso has an extensive photo collection he shares with the forum from time to time. Swandown is very knowledgeable about Jimmy's session work.

I'm glad you enjoyed the assortment of vintage lithographs of Peter Grant's Horselunges Manor dispatched to you privately. It's a magnificent property with a rich history.

• 2 years later...

Him and Jimmy.

According to the biography of Peter Grant, "the Man Who Led Zeppelin", by Chris Welch, on page 128, there is a quote from Peter Clifton (the film's second director), that says, "In 1975 you were in awe of Led Zeppelin. I got them all on the stage together in their outfits and they suddenly realized they were back on stage together for the first time since Madison Square Garden. They started playing 'Black Dog' just for me and we all got such a shock. They were so hot and tight and fuelled up with you know what. There had been an argument just minutes beforehand and then suddenly they began playing and it was an extraordinary electric moment between them. I knew then that I had them in the palms of my hands".

I have read somewhere that Bonzo used to call Cocaine, "Rocket Fuel".

Just an observation on my part.

TSRTS is on VH1Classic right now, and I cannot tell the MSG footage from the Shepperton studio footage.

They did a great job.

Was Dazed and Confused from MSG or from the studio? Looks like it may be from the studio. Does anyone know for sure?

Most of the video is from the 27th, the 29th has the second most and the 28th has the least. The Shepperton footage was used to fill the gaps in the MSG film and closeups. Look for very cheesy shots, or shots that couldn't be shot with a crazy audience. There was not alot of Shepperton footage in Dazed.

Why not? It's like reenacting something. I think if they had a small audience people probably wouldn't have even considered the fact that some scenes were filmed at Shepperton.

Yea, well there's really no way to know then, between the audience scenes filmed at MSG and Shepperton.

• 9 months later...

how i can tell is, there are roaming shots (dolly camera) which wouldnt of been possible in MSG, the shots look amazing but arent real and when it comes to Jimmy, well there are two Jimmy's in that film, one is the sweating fret flurrying Page from 73, the other Page doesnt sweat and clearly cant be bothered in trying to mime lol, when you watch those shots it just looks like he's mucking about, like someone you see doing air guitar, still...what a fabulous film!

how i can tell is, there are roaming shots (dolly camera) which wouldnt of been possible in MSG, the shots look amazing but arent real and when it comes to Jimmy, well there are two Jimmy's in that film, one is the sweating fret flurrying Page from 73, the other Page doesnt sweat and clearly cant be bothered in trying to mime lol, when you watch those shots it just looks like he's mucking about, like someone you see doing air guitar, still...what a fabulous film!

Good catch. I can say one thing for sure: Stairway wasn't shot at Shepperton (at least the part where Jimmy plays the solo).

Why did they have to simulate the MSG performance/s? I perused a short story on Wikipedia but it seems to be fraught with fallacious information.

from what i know, there wasnt enough live footage after Grant fired the film makers so they had to go ahead and re do a proportion of the songs

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/tgt.html

From IMDB

Unhappy with the progress of the film, manager Peter Grant had Joe Massot removed from the project and Australian director Peter Clifton was hired in his place in early 1974. Massot was offered a few thousand pounds in compensation. Peter Grant later sent someone to Massot's house to collect the film. However, Massot had hidden the film elsewhere and so instead an expensive editing machine owned by Massot was taken as collateral. Massot served a writ, leading to a period of stalemate which was finally broken when Grant and Led Zeppelin's lawyer Steve Weiss agreed to pay Massot the money he was owed, after which he delivered to film to the band. Massot was not invited to attend the premiere of the film at New York but he attended anyway, buying a ticket from a scalper outside the theatre.

Peter Clifton, in recognizing that there were crucial holes in the concert footage, suggested that the entire show be recreated at Shepperton Studios in August 1974, on a mock-up of the Madison Square Garden stage. Close-ups and distance footage of the band members could then be slipped into the live sequences, which made up the bulk of the concert footage seen in the film. When it was agreed that the band would meet at Shepperton Studios for filming, John Paul Jones had recently had his hair cut short, so he had to wear a wig. Robert Plant's teeth had also been fixed between the 1973 and 1974 filming's.

from what i know, there wasnt enough live footage after Grant fired the film makers so they had to go ahead and re do a proportion of the songs

http://www.thegarden....co.uk/tgt.html

From IMDB

Unhappy with the progress of the film, manager Peter Grant had Joe Massot removed from the project and Australian director Peter Clifton was hired in his place in early 1974. Massot was offered a few thousand pounds in compensation. Peter Grant later sent someone to Massot's house to collect the film. However, Massot had hidden the film elsewhere and so instead an expensive editing machine owned by Massot was taken as collateral. Massot served a writ, leading to a period of stalemate which was finally broken when Grant and Led Zeppelin's lawyer Steve Weiss agreed to pay Massot the money he was owed, after which he delivered to film to the band. Massot was not invited to attend the premiere of the film at New York but he attended anyway, buying a ticket from a scalper outside the theatre.

Peter Clifton, in recognizing that there were crucial holes in the concert footage, suggested that the entire show be recreated at Shepperton Studios in August 1974, on a mock-up of the Madison Square Garden stage. Close-ups and distance footage of the band members could then be slipped into the live sequences, which made up the bulk of the concert footage seen in the film. When it was agreed that the band would meet at Shepperton Studios for filming, John Paul Jones had recently had his hair cut short, so he had to wear a wig. Robert Plant's teeth had also been fixed between the 1973 and 1974 filming's.

Those are the very paragraphs I read.

Yet another question: Whole Lotta Love

A screenshot of Page 40 seconds before he approaches Theremin. Apparently, he is holding his Number 2 Les Paul.

ad9a31b2fcfa21bcb095e31d9a3fadcd.png

A screenshot of Page 12 seconds before he approaches Theremin. Apparently, he is holding his Number 3 Les Paul DeLuxe.

d4941c82243915f8b2cb79b4484ffb6c.png

He holds different guitars without having switched. Am I mistaken?

Archived