The Entourage

Knebby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Belated thanks for all the kind words guys!

Thought I'd add a couple of things - first is a photo I took of Peter Grant in 1981

Geeee.jpg

and this is an article about Richard Cole's 1978 wedding - its not that great a scan, but has a couple of pics you may be able to make out - including one of the very rare ones of Robert in 1978, and a bizzarrely mis-named Benji Le Fevre!

colewedding.jpg

I guess I really need to dig that ^ out and re-scan it - will get round to it eventually. B)

Yeah the captioning is totally bizzarre! Back row is - L -R Benji Le Fevre, Robert, Jimmy, Paul Rodgers, Jonesy, Lionel Bart.

Front row they have right except it's Bob Harris, not Bon. :lol:

Edited by Knebby

Yeah the captioning is totally bizzarre! Back row is - L -R Benji Le Fevre, Robert, Jimmy, Paul Rodgers, Jonesy, Lionel Bart.

Front row they have right except it's Bob Harris, not Bon. :lol:

Thanks for posting that! And for clearing up the captioning. I know I need new glasses but I was really having a :blink: moment there. Thankfully for once it wasn't me :lol:

:D

Zeppelin had a large entourage, many of whom were with them for years and years. I thought it might be interesting to talk about some of them - so I'll start with REX KING.

awesome post, does anybody know who the old effeminite was who was standing inbetween peter grant and the madison square garden manager when peter was balling out over the selling of pirate posters and t shirts , in the TSRTS film

Rexy.jpg

Jimmy, Richard Cole, Rex, Knebworth 1979.

Rex came into the entourage as Bonzo's personal assistant because he was a friend of his. "When they were going on tour one day, I got a call, literally three to four days before the tour started asking if I wanted to go, and I went." Rex and Bonzo were pals and enjoyed travelling together - Rex was the only one to accompany Bonzo on his trip up to Newcastle to record his TV interview for Tyne Tees TV's "Alright Now" in March 1980; it was also Rex who drove him down from the midlands to Windsor on the day before his death in September 1980.

After Bonzo's death and the break-up of Zeppelin, Rex continued to work for Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, in addition to working on other tours including Yes, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, The Who, Bad Company, The Firm, Rod Stewart, and Elton John.He took a special interest in Jason's fledgling career and was spotted out with him a few times - including taking him along with Robert, Maureen and Carmen Plant to see Cozy Powell play with Whitesnake at Birmingham Odeon in 1982. He introduced Robert to his current manager Bill Curbishley after meeting Curbishley in Spain and hitting it off with him. He took Robert over to meet him several years later and the seeds of their business relationship were planted. Known as something of a ladies man, complaints were heard at the recording of Unledded that most of the girls in the front row (aside from Scarlet Page) were friends of his. Page and Plant apparently appreciated the view!

Interviewed around the time of Page and Plant, he explained that as their tour manager he was responsible for everything that production manager Roy Lamb wasn't. "I do everything on the daily running of the tour, all of Robert and Jimmy's stuff and all the bands stuff.."

Speaking about their rider, he said "Its absolutely minimal these days. A few basic things- finger foods, a few beers, soft drinks. Thers's no hard liquor or anything like that. Anybody can have what they want, but people don't particularly bother. The days when we used to go all out and have bottles of champagne, etc, they're all over for us."

Dancer.jpg

Rex (centre background) laughing at Robert and the Oakland dancer

Rex continued to work with Robert when he resumed his solo career and has only recently moved onto other bands ( most recently Metallica) after they both decided they needed a change. Robert currently employs Dave Taraskevics, who he met through Peter Gabriel, as tour manager. Rex lives in Florida (as does Jason) but still works for Curbishley and Trinifold and is still friends with the surviving members of the band and entourage. He's a bit of a legend.

Rexy2.jpg

*Will try to move the other posts over as and when. ;) *

• 1 year later...

BadCo1.jpg

happyswan3.jpg

stonedswan2.jpg

Phil Carlo and some Swan Song Roadies and Concert promoter Paul G of Concerts West.

I have another of Phil but it isn't linking.

I don't remember everyone's names, but the first pic to the right of me was Peter...last name? and the other guys???

Maybe some Brit recognizes them....

R.I.P. Clive Coulson....

Any pictures?....I can't find any....

Further to his technical duties, he also accompanied Page, one night, to the alluring premises of Miss P.

She writes...."I'm with the Band," Page arrived in a limo with his roadie Clive ...and I fainted at the very sight of him........

pamj.jpg

Rodney and Miss P.

Belated thanks for all the kind words guys!

Thought I'd add a couple of things - first is a photo I took of Peter Grant in 1981

Geeee.jpg

and this is an article about Richard Cole's 1978 wedding - its not that great a scan, but has a couple of pics you may be able to make out - including one of the very rare ones of Robert in 1978, and a bizzarrely mis-named Benji Le Fevre!

colewedding.jpg

I guess I really need to dig that ^ out and re-scan it - will get round to it eventually. B)

I remember this thread from the old board Knebby, I'm glad you're moving it over to the new forum. It's nice to re-read it.

The pic you posted re: Richard Cole's wedding.......well..... there's a similar pic from the wedding in Cole's book, STH. Robert is in this one also but his head is turned towards Benji Le Fevre. :ph34r:

Almost hesitated to mention Cole's book because I know you don't favor it but it does capture a time period when Robert wasn't photographed much.

Cheers all! Thanks for all the nice words!

A very BIG thanks to Hotplant - it is so great of you to share your personal pics, the ones of Phil are great - he's hardly changed ! - and maybe one day you'll share some of the stories to go with them?

Regardless, they are wonderfully unique and a great great addition to the forum. Thanks!

I remember this thread from the old board Knebby, I'm glad you're moving it over to the new forum. It's nice to re-read it.

The pic you posted re: Richard Cole's wedding.......well..... there's a similar pic from the wedding in Cole's book, STH. Robert is in this one also but his head is turned towards Benji Le Fevre. :ph34r:

Almost hesitated to mention Cole's book because I know you don't favor it but it does capture a time period when Robert wasn't photographed much.

You're right Lynn- it would be cool if you could scan the pic? I have no idea where my copy is, or if I even still have it.

You're right Lynn- it would be cool if you could scan the pic? I have no idea where my copy is, or if I even still have it.

I would be glad to scan the pic if I knew how to do it!! I am somewhat computer illiterate, (still). I'll work on it and try to figure it out. :)

Someone here on the forum will probably get it scanned and up before I do and I'm OK with that too!!!