Iron Maiden thread

solar

IM are an important band for me, one listen of the debut album and I was hooked. After all that time I still listen often, I have every studio album and go through little periods where that is all I listen to. Usually because I've stumbled across an IM riff while noodling and proceed to give my guitars a workout for a few weeks. Can't really say I have a fave album or anything but if I was forced to pick it'd likely be Powerslave, that is fun guitar playing. I have extreme diverse taste but my formative years were filled with Maiden, Priest, Kiss and Sabbath.

My sons went to an Iron Maiden concert in July.

They said it was a great show as well as great music.

They also were impressed with Bruce's vocals.

They rank him in their top five best rock singers.

They report that the newest Maiden album is fantastic. I haven't heard it yet as I am not such a big fan.

Just a note: Bruce made a comment about piloting his plane to this concert in Ohio (Blossom Music Center near Akron). He said that he can always tell when he is getting close to this airport when he sees the woods and farm scenery that he loves. They played there at Blossom last summer, too, so he is familiar with that airport.

The new album is great. It gets better every time I listen to it. If you only listen to one song off the new album, let it be this one:

I like Iron Maiden a lot. It's actually one of my favorite heavy metal bands. I discovered them long time ago when I was still in primary school and I loved them. My favorite albums are The Number Of The Beast, Piece Of Mind and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone on here from Texas? Maiden will be at The Woodlands Pavillion in August. I've been there before to see Rush 2 years back and it's a cool venue. I'm considering taking a short road trip to see this, as I've never seen them before and this may be the closest they come to my city.

http://youtu.be/YG_CXEdTIQE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I was really glad to see this thread on here. I LOVE Iron Maiden! I work in an office with a bunch of ladies who like pop and country music and I have a picture of Led Zeppelin standing by the starship and an Iron Maiden logo with Eddie hanging in my cubicle-that sure gets me noticed! One of my goals in life is to see them in concert; hopefully, that will come true soon....

I love me some Maiden! Saw them in Atlanta 6/23/12. A great concert. Wont ever forget it! On the lawn, a guy with a cardboard cutout guitar was mimicking whatever was being played, jumping around and all! Everybody cleared an area for him! Anyways, yes I do love Maiden. Favourite album is Somewhere in Time.

Edited by JLee93

• 1 year later...

well the first song I`d heard by Maiden was Running Free. when the so called N.W.O.B.H.M scene was in full flow. I` was hooked . what an amazing live band. my Maiden collection go`s from Iron Maiden to Fear Of The Dark. Until Dickinson came back into the Maiden Fold Again. my personnel top five album`s are:

5. seventh son of a seventh son

4. iron maiden

3. somewhere in time

2. the number of the beast

1. PIECE OF MIND

its not only the music of these 5 album`s its the artwork of Mr D. Riggs. oh and Eddie the Head lol...

is there anybody out there.......................

Up the Irons! Possibly my favourite metal band...it is hard to choose among Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead and Iron Maiden, but I probably listen more to Iron Maiden records these days and I definitely saw them in concert more than the other bands, starting with the Paul Di'Anno-era "Killers" tour in 1981 opening for Judas Priest at the Sam Houston Coliseum, Houston, TX. I was at the Long Beach Arena shows in March 1985 that ended up on the "Live After Death" album..."Scream for me Long Beach!"

But my interest waned after the "Somewhere in Time" album & tour (another three shows at Long Beach Arena with the horrid Vinnie Vincent Invasion opening). "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" was the first Iron Maiden record I was disappointed in and with so many other great bands and new things happening around that time period (1987-88), I stopped paying attention to them. I must have went 20 or so years before I saw them again in concert, after they got Adrian Smith back in the guitar line-up along with Dave Murray and Janick Gers.

I will always have a sentimental feeling about Maiden...they take me back to those halcyon days of metal in the early 80s.

My Top 5 Iron Maiden records:

1. Killers

2. Piece of Mind

3. Powerslave

4. Number of the Beast

5. Iron Maiden

Edited by Strider

• 10 months later...

well the first song I`d heard by Maiden was Running Free. when the so called N.W.O.B.H.M scene was in full flow. I` was hooked . what an amazing live band. my Maiden collection go`s from Iron Maiden to Fear Of The Dark. Until Dickinson came back into the Maiden Fold Again. my personnel top five album`s are:

5. seventh son of a seventh son

4. iron maiden

3. somewhere in time

2. the number of the beast

1. PIECE OF MIND

its not only the music of these 5 album`s its the artwork of Mr D. Riggs. oh and Eddie the Head lol...

is there anybody out there.......................

Peace of Mind and Somewhere in Time are 2 of my fav, good choices by the way

British heavy metal legends Iron Maiden will be awarded the prestigious 02 Silver Clef by Nordoff Robbins in recognition of "outstanding contributions to U.K. music." Previous winners include The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Genesis and Queen; last year's Silver Clef winner was Jimmy Page. The very first Silver Clef was presented to The Who, by Twiggy, on June 29, 1976. In its 40-year history, the Awards have raised more than 8.5 million pounds to fund Nordoff Robbins's groundbreaking work with music therapy.

The announcement was made this evening at the Club Cafe Royal in London at a party to exclusively name the first winners of this year's awards and to celebrate an iconic 40-year milestone in Nordoff Robbins's charitable history. Maiden will be presented with this main award of the evening at the annual star-studded 02 Silver Clef Lunch on July 3 at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane.

The band comments: "Nordoff Robbins is an exceptional charity and their dedication to changing people's lives through music therapy is something we all very much support.

"We're extremely proud to recieve the 02 Silver Clef Award and be part of the 40th anniversary event celebrating this wonderful achievement."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maiden-to-receive-o2-silver-clef-award/

• 1 month later...

"Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" was the first Iron Maiden record I was disappointed in and with so many other great bands and new things happening around that time period (1987-88), I stopped paying attention to them. I must have went 20 or so years before I saw them again in concert, after they got Adrian Smith back in the guitar line-up along with Dave Murray and Janick Gers.

I contend that Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was the last great Maiden album to date, it was the culmination of all the band's collective influences and saw them just nail it in epic fashion... unfortunately, after that, they became a safe, deeply mediocre, and predictable act with none of the spark, verve, or innovation of their 1980's golden age. Ironically, Bruce Dickinson's solo material throughout the 1990's was light years ahead of anything Maiden has released post-1988 (which tells you something about where the problem lies)... Brave New World was a massive disappointment all round, and I just lost interest thereafter.

But that unprecedented run in the 1980's - seven studio albums in eight years, classics all, and probably the best live metal album of all time - is one hell of a legacy that still stands tall... if only they'd release their Donington '88 show (which was pro-shot) on DVD, alas...

Edited by The Old Hermit

• 1 month later...