Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Here is something that is quite funny and a mystery to Me as well.

At the 1:06:46 mark, Jimmy or Bonzo (don't know which one) can be heard saying, "I just puked on that". It is a little faint in hearing but I heard it all the same. What is funny to me is, who puked on what and why?

and,

at the 1:43:08 mark Robert says, "Fuck You, mate", to someone (apparently a British man and off to the side of the stage). Who did Robert tell to "Fuck Off"? Richard Cole, perhaps?

This is, of course, the "infamous" September 29, 1971 Osaka gig where Bonzo can't be found during the acoustic set. Robert dismisses this and says that Bonzo has gone with Geisha.

Check it out and listen for yourself. By the way, a Great bootleg of a Great Concert by Led Zeppelin:

Edited by kingzoso

At the 1:06:46 mark, Jimmy or Bonzo (don't know which one) can be heard saying, "I just puked on that". It is a little faint in hearing but I heard it all the same. What is funny to me is, who puked on what and why?

and,

at the 1:43:08 mark Robert says, "Fuck You, mate", to someone (apparently a British man and off to the side of the stage). Who did Robert tell to "Fuck Off"? Richard Cole, perhaps?

This is, of course, the "infamous" September 29, 1971 Osaka gig where Bonzo can't be found during the acoustic set. Robert dismisses this and says that Bonzo has gone with Geisha.

Check it out and listen for yourself. By the way, a Great bootleg of a Great Concert by Led Zeppelin:

The puking one: unquestionably a southern accent rather than a Brummie one. Sounds to me like Jimmy.

and,

wow,that is so neat,really a raw recording,love to hear Robert talk too

Hey Steve, I just came across something about new footage being found of Jimmy doing a session with Hendrix in February of 69. I know it sounds far fetched plus Jimmy has said he and Hendrix were only ever in the same room at a night club but never talk. Have you heard anything about this?

Hey Steve, I just came across something about new footage being found of Jimmy doing a session with Hendrix in February of 69. I know it sounds far fetched plus Jimmy has said he and Hendrix were only ever in the same room at a night club but never talk. Have you heard anything about this?

Any news or footage of that nature is fake as Jimmy has very clearly stated time and time again they never properly met and as such certainly never recorded together.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Steve.

Bit of a strange one here. Urban myth even.

Years ago, playing gigs around Hampshire, we came across a pub/venue called the royal oak in passfield nr Bordon. Legend had it at the time that Pagey lived locally and would occasionally turn up, watch and sometimes jam with the band.

This was way back in 93/94.

Now then, 20 years later, I find myself living in the area again. Chatting to a few locals in the Petersfield area, I find this tale being repeated. I'm told pagey had property in standford, just round the corner from said pub.

I seem to recall there being a photo or a bit of info on this somewhere on here, but alas...

So. Any ideas on how to settle this pub debate?

Ta.

Hey Steve.

Years ago, playing gigs around Hampshire, we came across a pub/venue called the royal oak in passfield nr Bordon. Legend had it at the time that Pagey lived locally and would occasionally turn up, watch and sometimes jam with the band.

Now then, 20 years later, I find myself living in the area again. Chatting to a few locals in the Petersfield area, I find this tale being repeated. I'm told pagey had property in standford, just round the corner from said pub.

I seem to recall there being a photo or a bit of info on this somewhere on here, but alas...

Ta.

Hey Steve.

Ta.

It is absolutely true that Jimmy owned a home in the vicinity of Bordon at that time. Quite some time ago at the Steve A. Jones Archive (Facebook account) I shared a Ross Halfin-signed and dated (1993) photograph of Jimmy inside that home:

halfin.jpg

Photo courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Having said all that, to my knowledge there are no confirmed Jimmy Page public performances/jams in Bordon. However, I'd certainly welcome any eyewitness accounts, evidence or assistance that may help confirm there was one or more. In fact, I do have a photograph from a jam in Sleaford (Hampshire) for which I am still seeking to confirm the month and day. I shall repost it here shortly.

Certainly it is quite plausible Jimmy made a number of public appearances in the local pub as a patron.

Edited by SteveAJones

Mystery Photo:

NewOrleans.jpg

Sep/Oct 1990 (exact month and day unconfirmed)

Jimmy Page jamming with John Paul Jones, singer Martin Weller, guitarist Brian Viner and drummer Buzz of The Fear. AC/DC drummer Chris Slade also joined in.

Martin says this would have been "Sep/Oct '90" in the Function Room at Headley Park located in Sleaford, Hampshire, England. Jimmy had seen The Fear perform at Camberley Civic Hall earlier in the year and invited them to perform at "his private party". This event was possibly to celebrate the release of the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set, as Jimmy presented them with signed copies as a token of his appreciation.

They played rock songs and 'Train Kept A Rollin', but Jimmy broke a string just as they were about to attempt Led Zeppelin's 'Rock And Roll' and he had no spare. According to Martin, had The Fear not arrived late Jimmy was wanting to jam with them prior to the start of the event as well.

Many thanks to Blockbuster for his aggressive pursuit of these details!

Easy...Rider the above is the Sleaford jam I referred to earlier.

Mr Jones, I hope you don't mind me contributing to your thread. I found one reference to Jimmy and the Royal Oak at Bordon on Facebook, and a reference within a Yahoo Group. Perhaps an enquiry to either author of these sources might throw some light on the matter.

Facebook

Billy Walton Band · 1,438 like this.

3 March 2011 at 07:07 ·

· Our gig tonight in Reeth has been cancelled. We have picked up a gig at the Royal Oak in Hollywater, Bordon in Hampshire. This gig is in Zep country! Jimmy Page used to own the club.

1. RE: in summary - Yahoo! Groups

groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pompey-music/conversations/topics/539

Another good pub gig is The Royal Oak at Hollywater near Bordon. It's ... Jimmy Page lives nearby and has been known to get up and jam. Just a few more ideas ...

It is absolutely true that Jimmy owned a home in the vicinity of Bordon at that time. Quite some time ago at the Steve A. Jones Archive (Facebook account) I shared a Ross Halfin-signed and dated (1993) photograph of Jimmy inside that home.

Having said all that, to my knowledge there are no confirmed Jimmy Page public performances/jams in Bordon. However, I'd certainly welcome any eyewitness accounts, evidence or assistance that may help confirm there was one or more. In fact, I do have a photograph from a jam in Sleaford (Hampshire) for which I am still seeking to confirm the month and day. I shall repost it here shortly.

Certainly it is quite plausible Jimmy made a number of public appearances in the local pub as a patron.

Edited by 1973fan

Mr Jones, I hope you don't mind me contributing to your thread. I found one reference to Jimmy and the Royal Oak at Bordon on Facebook, and a reference within a Yahoo Group. Perhaps an enquiry to either author of these sources might throw some light on the matter.

Facebook

Billy Walton Band · 1,438 like this.

3 March 2011 at 07:07 ·

· Our gig tonight in Reeth has been cancelled. We have picked up a gig at the Royal Oak in Hollywater, Bordon in Hampshire. This gig is in Zep country! Jimmy Page used to own the club.

1. RE: in summary - Yahoo! Groups

groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pompey-music/conversations/topics/539

Another good pub gig is The Royal Oak at Hollywater near Bordon. It's ... Jimmy Page lives nearby and has been known to get up and jam. Just a few more ideas ...

Well, first of all this isn't my thread, it's ours! You see, collaboration is the key to unlocking many of the mysteries presented here.

I have added the photograph of Jimmy at home in Hampshire to my original response to Easy...Rider above.

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Channelling back 41 years ago for this mystery: Zep finishes their European tour in Paris on April 2, and has 32 days to get ready for opening night in Atlanta, USA. In between, some massive changes are occurring for the '73 USA Tour: from incorporating major PR for the first time supporting any USA tour, to a major upgrade in the stage show (big lighting changes to dry ice, etc...). Then add an overhaul of the set list: add Celebration Day, Bring It On Home into before Black Dog, No Quarter for the first time ever, and in lieu of the big medley in the middle of Whole Lotta Love, we go to a reinstated, compact Moby Dick, into Heartbreaker, into WLL with just the Let That Boy Boogie middle segment. Encores now include either The Ocean, played infrequently since its US debut at the end of the '72 US Tour, and Communication Breakdown, which hadn't been performed in awhile either.

We do have sound check photos from Atlanta, presumably due to now playing in large stadiums for the first time ever, but other than that, allegedly some rehearsals at Shepperton Studios in April 1973.

While they certainly were in peak live performance mode, and had most of the songs for the main American set list down, the mystery question is: how much time did Zep spend rehearsing at Shepperton? Do you know of any other songs rehearsed that may not have made the set list?

I'm so intrigued by this transitional period, because there were a lot of adjustments needed to be made for the live act between Europe and the new US shows. I can only imagine the pressure as well, with the PR behind the tour for the first time. For me, April 1973 is a very fascinating, pivotal month in Led Zep history, and was wondering if you could detail all you know about this period, and specifically, the rehearsals.

We do have sound check photos from Atlanta, presumably due to now playing in large stadiums for the first time ever, but other than that, allegedly some rehearsals at Shepperton Studios in April 1973.

While they certainly were in peak live performance mode, and had most of the songs for the main American set list down, the mystery question is: how much time did Zep spend rehearsing at Shepperton? Do you know of any other songs rehearsed that may not have made the set list?

I'm so intrigued by this transitional period, because there were a lot of adjustments needed to be made for the live act between Europe and the new US shows. I can only imagine the pressure as well, with the PR behind the tour for the first time. For me, April 1973 is a very fascinating, pivotal month in Led Zep history, and was wondering if you could detail all you know about this period, and specifically, the rehearsals.

According to my notes the April 1973 rehearsals were held at Old Street Film Studios in London, not the Shepperton Studios in Surrey.

Unfortunately I don't have any further details on hand at the moment. They did arrive in Atlanta a few days prior to opening night, with Maggie Bell and The Bee Gees passing thru during that time.

Thanks Steve for your reply. Are there any confirmed dates as to when they were there?

I've seen no confirmation of the exact dates. It's possible an inquiry could be put forward to director Peter Clifton but unlikely that he would know.

Edited by SteveAJones