Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

That is certainly interesting and how this may have evolved from three separate shows on different day to just two on one day? I recall Elvis doing two shows at MSG in 1972. But then again his shows probably lasted at most 1 1/2 hours on any given show, so much different with Zep's shows. Back in 1970, probably about 2 + hours.

PlanetPage and Steve,

Funny coincidence happened here on your exchange here, and so timely: prior to your email PP about your discovery, I asked Steve about this one off September 1970 Madison Square Garden date. Well, your thread brought me to the 1970 timeline section of this site, and I started looking at the April 1970 Montreal date. In looking at all the images associated with this date, one caught my eye: renown Canadian Zep writer/lover Ritchie Yorke's East Coast column. In it, he writes about Zep's next North American tour, In August and September 1970. He then quotes it will include 3 dates at Madison Square Garden!

So Steve, at least we have a little more to go by now that we have this information. Don't know whether or not it will solve the mystery on how Zep's 3 show MSG dates turned into one date with two shows on the same day, but it's a start!

Thanks PP!!!

... Great, this articje is penned by Quebec Journalist Benoit L. Herbier, I will look closer for any further details similar to Ritchie York, ("Their Man in Toronto") although it appears to be timely review in Montreal...

• Administrators

..SAJ, I will make a post here but this photo/publication was also discussed in the Mystries Photos and further here in mysteris thread...as you know the publication has been identtifed but due to copyright restriction by Qubecor Media Group, Bibliotheque National Archives Quebec and similarly in Ottawa National Library, this article/images cannot be posted...some details the Library has allowed me to note this past summer, and they are as follows translated:......w.tks to Mlle Gagon;

The Forum Concert is Monday April 13, 1970...

From Photos Vedettes Magazine, dated April 25, 1970 - Unprintable Version...copyright is needed for printable version...

...On tour for 3 weeks (w/very long hours they were very tired; They Left Minneapolis at 8 am Monday morning and arrived in Toronto at noon...they left Toronto at 2:15 for Dorvall, arrived at 3:15 pm..

They were then going to leave Tuesday am from Queen Elizabeth to Ottawa for antoher show...

This photos of Jimmy Page/Charlotte Martin waiting for luggage at Montreal Airport appears on Photos Vedettes Magazine, dated 25 April 1970, 'Page' 32,

the Photographer is Pierre Dury.Com ( Pierre was kind to receive and response to my inquiry, but unable to cooperate further);

The article is five pages in total; various arrival photos of each band member individually captured (including John Bonham chatting very seriously), member in social/party atmosphere, and later the performance Forum Photos (few I noticed have been submitted to the official site here timeline, but not all and not the article ofcourse)

The artilce is very postive and it shows RObert Plant being interviewed unsure if it is for Radio or Television.

My apologies, I can only describe the photos, hope this is somewhat helpful to you for your notes..

Overall, due to low resolution and unprintable quality, difficult to view in clarity, but the first details of arrival are very clear and correct..

The Black Beauty went missing around this time period. Perhaps from the posted photos of the shows in US/Canada around these dates, can assist further, although looking at the Montreal Photo and Ottawa photos, it does not appear Jimmy is holding Black Beauty...

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/timeline/1970?page=1

Hi PP,

Unfortunately, Pierre doesn't have any of his Zep photos. There was another guy, Henri, who photographed the band throughout their stay in Montreal. (Due to licensing issues, I can't post them. A few concert pics that were published are in the Timeline). He said he was hired by the Canadian rep of Warner. I've seen all his stuff and there's a lot of interesting pics, including RP being interviewed for CFCF TV.

Jimmy felt the band should have had more money to show for its relentless touring.

A reasonable expectation, imo. I wonder if he was the only Yardbird who complained to Napier-Bell about their lack of compensation.

Definitely. Never realized just how many shows they played till I saw the schedule in Jimmy's new book. A lot!

Hi PP,

Unfortunately, Pierre doesn't have any of his Zep photos. There was another guy, Henri, who photographed the band throughout their stay in Montreal. (Due to licensing issues, I can't post them. A few concert pics that were published are in the Timeline). He said he was hired by the Canadian rep of Warner. I've seen all his stuff and there's a lot of interesting pics, including RP being interviewed for CFCF TV.

...Hello and Thank for the additional details clarification including of Television interview of Robert Plant, intially, Pierre Dury was the only Photographer mentioned that I could see in the low resolution unprintable version of this French Language article. Interesting that Led Zeppelin Reception was hosted by various Broadcasting and Record Label personalities, including Robert Nickford Record Exec. Forum Show was presented/hosted by Roger Scott/CFOX, and Robert Arcand/CJMS....

Planet Page,

I contacted Grandmeaulne on October 19th. He acknowledged your findings with interest and indicated he would attempt to liberate the article soonest.

thanks SAJ; the copyright is a issue and not possible for me, surely he will have other contacts to achieve this article for the fans to see...thanks again..

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this was brought up in the 200+ pages of this thread, but right around 10:41-10:42 there is a machine gun like sound. I always wondered what that was and where it came from. I'm assuming its from the amplifiers, but it persists even after they stop playing for that second? Its just sounds out of place.

Apologies if this was brought up in the 200+ pages of this thread, but right around 10:41-10:42 there is a machine gun like sound. I always wondered what that was and where it came from. I'm assuming its from the amplifiers, but it persists even after they stop playing for that second? Its just sounds out of place.

I always thought from the look and sound of it, it was Jonesy pushing/tapping his strings against his pickups with his right fist. Pretty neat moment, Jimmy looks over at him smiling and says something to the effect of 'WTF was that?' and Jonesy gives a coy smile.

• 4 weeks later...

What role, if any, did Mickie Most have in the formation and early days of Lead Zeppelin?

I know from my extensive reading of Led Zeppelin and of Peter Grant, the Man That led Zeppelin, that Mickie and Peter were business partners from about 1967-1972(?). Did Mickie Most have any business interest (meaning certain "profits") in Lead Zeppelin during Led Zeppelin's very early existence? Did he ever go to the United States with them in the 4 or 5 tours that Led Zeppelin did in their first couple of years?

Edited by kingzoso

What role, if any, did Mickie Most have in the formation and early days of Lead Zeppelin?

I know from my extensive reading of Led Zeppelin and of Peter Grant, the Man That led Zeppelin, that Mickie and Peter were business partners from about 1967-1972(?). Did Mickie Most have any business interest (meaning certain "profits") in Lead Zeppelin during Led Zeppelin's very early existence? Did he ever go to the United States with them in the 4 or 5 tours that Led Zeppelin did in their first couple of years?

To the best of my knowledge, Most did not accompany them on the road at any time nor did he have any direct business interest.

He had a business partnership with Peter Grant - that's all - as the book presents.

Despite liner notes on Led Zeppelin II saying that The Lemon Song and Moby Dick were recorded at Mirror Sound in Los Angeles with engineer Chris Huston and Jimmy Page mentioning Mirror Sound in his pictorial autobiography, I've never found any other/real evidence of its existence.

Many sources have said that Chris Huston was the house engineer and co-managing partner at Mystic Sound Studios. I've also found advertisements in early 1970s Billboard magazine for Mystic, but no Mirror.

Any thoughts?

Despite liner notes on Led Zeppelin II saying that The Lemon Song and Moby Dick were recorded at Mirror Sound in Los Angeles with engineer Chris Huston and Jimmy Page mentioning Mirror Sound in his pictorial autobiography, I've never found any other/real evidence of its existence.

Many sources have said that Chris Huston was the house engineer and co-managing partner at Mystic Sound Studios. I've also found advertisements in early 1970s Billboard magazine for Mystic, but no Mirror.

Any thoughts?

You could very well be correct about this; I have never been able to find anything on Mirror Studios either (address, etc). Come to think of it now, Mirror Studios does only seem to be associated with those brief Led Zeppelin sessions and absolutely nothing else.

It may take Chris Huston or Eddie Kramer (etc.) to confirm or deny using the Mirror Studios name once and for all.

Edited by SteveAJones

Your guess that the liner notes on Led Zeppelin II are 'simply wrong' is correct. My studio was called Mystic Records. It was the former De-Fi Records where Richie Valens and The Bobby Fuller Four recorded their hits. I remodeled the studio in 1968. It was located on the corner of Selma and Vine, in Hollywood, one block below Hollywood Boulevard. There, at the time, a studio in New York City called Mirror Sound. Maybe that is where the error came from, although there were thousands of miles between the two places?

The studio was actually located above a bank which stood on the corner of Selma and Vine. The studio's live echo chamber was in the basement and we used to get complaints from the bank when the chamber's use bothered the bank's office staff, during the daytime.

Well, Chris Huston confirmed that the Led Zeppelin II liner notes are incorrect..... but there was a Mirror Sound that I still haven't found any reference to.

Well, Chris Huston confirmed that the Led Zeppelin II liner notes are incorrect..... but there was a Mirror Sound that I still haven't found any reference to.

Huston's response seems to affirm their April 29-May 1st 1969 sessions with him in Los Angeles were held at his Mystic Studios. Unsure exactly how or why Mirror Sound became associated with these sessions but as Huston has confirmed it is clearly wrong.

According to my notes there were some sessions held in NYC the following month, perhaps that's how this error originated.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

Here is a question I have always pondered but never asked. Was Lloyd Bridges a big Led Zeppelin fan and did he attend a Led Zeppelin concert in the early 1970's? The reason I ask is because he attended the LZ launch party for Swan Song Records in Los Angeles along with many others that also included Groucho Marx.

Lloyd Bridges was funny as Hell in Airplane:

Maybe he sniffed glue with Pagey or Bonzo back in 1974.

Edited by kingzoso

Here is a question I have always pondered but never asked. Was Lloyd Bridges a big Led Zeppelin fan and did he attend a Led Zeppelin concert in the early 1970's? The reason I ask is because he attended the LZ launch party for Swan Song Records in Los Angeles along with many others that also included Groucho Marx.

Not to my knowledge. I've always suspected some of the "guests" were merely celebrities who also happened to be in the hotel at that time. A crossing of paths, so to speak.

Q: One of the most bizarre photos in your book, from Zeppelin’s Seventies peak, is a shot of you, Groucho Marx and Gloria Swanson at a 1974 party for your label, Swan Song. Did they have any idea who you were?

Jimmy Page: Probably not. But Groucho was very cool. He did these autographs – he’d put your hand down on paper, draw around it, then put “Groucho” under it. Within his advancing years, he was pretty sharp. I was sort of paraded past him, I told him how brilliant he was in those Marx Brothers films.

• 3 weeks later...

Not counting the the few football stadium concerts on the 1977 tour of North America, do you have any idea how many cities, other than Birmingham, were general admission as opposed to reserved seating?

I've long believed the energy from a sardine packed standing crowd hundreds deep on the floor that night helped to fuel an exceptional performance.

Of course the folks in the seats were far from passive...