Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2007 at 1:35 PM, SteveAJones said:

Richard Cole and John Bonham accompanied Robert on his flight home from New Orleans to the Midlands, with a brief layover in London. John Paul Jones did have his family with

him in the states for sightseeing. Peter Grant elected to remain in New Orleans to work

the cancellation of the tour's remaining dates.

Jimmy and JPJ did not attend Karac's funeral service and this is a highly sensitive topic. While I've never spoken to Robert concerning his thoughts on their absence; those who have discussed it with him told me he was deeply hurt by it.

It's inexplicable, really, for them not to have attended, as I've always believed the sudden loss of a child is one of life's cruelest tragedies. Certainly, Robert could have found some comfort in their support, however I realize everyone deals with grief of this magnitude in their own way. For whatever it's worth, bear in mind Jimmy and John Paul Jones seldom socialized with Robert and Bonzo, or between themselves, if off the road. Ultimately, in my opinion, neither excuses nor condemnations should be made.

In conclusion, note Jimmy and Peter Grant met in London soonafter and immediately put the band on indefinate hiatus to afford Robert an opportunity to grieve. More than a year passed before Led Zeppelin made a public appearance and resumed studio activity.

How soon after Karac's  death did jimmy himself come back to England?   And how soon  did Peter come back? I'm not surprised Jimmy would miss the funeral since he was most likely divulging harder into drugs with all that happened within a few days but I'm surprise Peter did not go.    With Jonesey having three kids himself I'm surprised he did not come back to England to be at the funeral. 

On 12/21/2016 at 0:31 AM, SteveAJones said:

It definitely pales in comparison to Hammer of the Gods, which although a sensationalized account is actually a damn good book as far as maintaining the reader's interest. I do recall reading an interview with Davis that I cannot find at the moment wherein he alludes to the second book being a cash grab. Here's another interview with Davis for those who may not be familiar with him or his other work:

http://www.bu.edu/bostonia/winter09/stephen-davis/stephen-davis.pdf 

I've read  Hammer of the gods probably more than 100 times and I am not exaggerating. I think it is very poorly written.  The author comes across as petty and trying to make degrading remarks about the band members based on things that never happened.   Lord knows they are not perfect by any means but his account of what happened is just short of ridiculous. 

Edited by jasonlovesvids

1 hour ago, jasonlovesvids said:

I've read  Hammer of the gods probably more than 100 times and I am not exaggerating. I think it is very poorly written.  The author comes across as petty and trying to make degrading remarks about the band members based on things that never happened.   Lord knows they are not perfect by any means but his account of what happened is just short of ridiculous. 

Why would you read something 100 times if you think it's so bad?

19 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Here's a Page mystery question.  

Who was Brian Goode his by all accounts completely inept manager from 1988-1994 or thereabouts.  I can't ever recall seeing a picture of him or heard of him managing any other acts.  

How did Jimmy hook up with him?  

I'm away from my notes at the moment, not that I have many on Brian Goode, who remained very much out of the limelight and by many accounts in way over his head. Off the top of my head, his management began during The Firm era and ended in 1994 after Jimmy joined forces with Bill Curbishley, who was Robert's manager at the time. I do know it was Brian who took the call from Rod McSween in January 1991 to inquire if Jimmy was interested in collaborating with David Coverdale. I'm not sure if Brian was interviewed for Barney Hoskyns' book, but he may have been.

13 hours ago, jasonlovesvids said:

How soon after Karac's  death did jimmy himself come back to England?   And how soon  did Peter come back? I'm not surprised Jimmy would miss the funeral since he was most likely divulging harder into drugs with all that happened within a few days but I'm surprise Peter did not go.    With Jonesey having three kids himself I'm surprised he did not come back to England to be at the funeral. 

The date of Jimmy's return to England remains shrouded in mystery. Some have alleged he was in New Orleans when Robert received the call, while others insist he was still in California. Bill Graham attested to a $25K cash advance at the San Francisco Hilton immediately being provided to a heroin dealer the afternoon prior to the Day on the Green concerts in Oakland, so it's plausible (though speculative) Jimmy was in no condition to travel to New Orleans or anywhere else for a few days. JPJ, his wife and daughters were travelling in a Winnebago and left Oakland soon after the second concert, so it's plausible they were on the road and out of contact at the time Robert returned to England. We know Peter remained in New Orleans to handle postponement and eventual cancellation of the remaining dates. We know Jimmy, JPJ and Peter were not at the funeral but I have always refrained from armchair quarterbacking them or their personal decisions in what was obviously a very tragic and difficult time.   

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I have always refrained from armchair quarterbacking them or their personal decisions in what was obviously a very tragic and difficult time.   

And I, for one, am grateful that you do so refrain.  It is so tiresome when people try to guess what was going on in their personal lives, especially when they have themselves, refrained from talking about it themselves.  Thank you.

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm away from my notes at the moment, not that I have many on Brian Goode, who remained very much out of the limelight and by many accounts in way over his head. Off the top of my head, his management began during The Firm era and ended in 1994 after Jimmy joined forces with Bill Curbishley, who was Robert's manager at the time. I do know it was Brian who took the call from Rod McSween in January 1991 to inquire if Jimmy was interested in collaborating with David Coverdale. I'm not sure if Brian was interviewed for Barney Hoskyns' book, but he may have been.

The date of Jimmy's return to England remains shrouded in mystery. Some have alleged he was in New Orleans when Robert received the call, while others insist he was still in California. Bill Graham attested to a $25K cash advance at the San Francisco Hilton immediately being provided to a heroin dealer the afternoon prior to the Day on the Green concerts in Oakland, so it's plausible (though speculative) Jimmy was in no condition to travel to New Orleans or anywhere else for a few days. JPJ, his wife and daughters were travelling in a Winnebago and left Oakland soon after the second concert, so it's plausible they were on the road and out of contact at the time Robert returned to England. We know Peter remained in New Orleans to handle postponement and eventual cancellation of the remaining dates. We know Jimmy, JPJ and Peter were not at the funeral but I have always refrained from armchair quarterbacking them or their personal decisions in what was obviously a very tragic and difficult time.   

How long was it until the next concert day after Oakland?  Just wondering because if JPJ was gone in a Winnebago with his family, when was he do to be at the next show?

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

How long was it until the next concert day after Oakland?  Just wondering because if JPJ was gone in a Winnebago with his family, when was he do to be at the next show?

22 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Why would you read something 100 times if you think it's so bad?

Because of the time it came out there was a total lack of information of any of the details about the band. You have to remember this is before the Internet existed so they were no webpages, no blogs etc.    Even though it is a poorly written book, I did  enjoy reading it for some of the details about the early days, the early shows and the crowd reactions to them etc.    Even now when I know some of the events are blown out proportion and exaggerated, I recently went back and read it yet again  because I was looking for something in the book that I thought was there even though it wasn't.   I don't know if you could chalk  it up to being poorly written or poorly edited.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2017 at 0:44 PM, jasonlovesvids said:

The second Oakland show was Sun, July 24th. Their next show, New Orleans, was scheduled for Sat, Jul 30th.

2 hours ago, Mr_K said:

Hello. Any books on how Zeppelin wrote their songs? Something like "Paul McCartney: Many Years From Now"? Thank you.

The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis (1994), When The Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV by Andy Fyfe (2003), and Led Zeppelin - Dazed And Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song by Chris Welch (2006) are your best bets.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:36 PM, SteveAJones said:

The second Oakland show was Sun, July 24th. Their next show, New Orleans, was scheduled for Sat, Jul 30th.

The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin by Dave Lewis (1994), When The Levee Breaks: The Making of Led Zeppelin IV by Andy Fyfe (2003), and Led Zeppelin - Dazed And Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song by Chris Welch (2006) are your best bets.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Is that taken at the gig Plant played with a pub rock band in Worcestershire sometime in 1978? Iirc it was the first time he'd been on stage since Oakland '77. Bonzo sat in on drums for a couple of numbers too I think.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Where & when was this taken?

black-kit.JPG

It's allegedly a jam with a local band circa 1980, but I don't have any other details.

42 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Is that taken at the gig Plant played with a pub rock band in Worcestershire sometime in 1978? Iirc it was the first time he'd been on stage since Oakland '77. Bonzo sat in on drums for a couple of numbers too I think.

Robert Plant's first public performance since Oakland '77 was in July 1978 when he sat in with local Midlands band Melvin's Marauders (aka Melvin Giganticus and the Turd Burglers) at the Wolverly Memorial Hall in Worcestershire, however John Bonham was not there.

http://www.wolverleymemorialhall.org/

3 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It's allegedly a jam with a local band circa 1980, but I don't have any other details.

Robert Plant's first public performance since Oakland '77 was in July 1978 when he sat in with local Midlands band Melvin's Marauders (aka Melvin Giganticus and the Turd Burglers) at the Wolverly Memorial Hall in Worcestershire, however John Bonham was not there.

http://www.wolverleymemorialhall.org/

Thanks.

It looks earlier than 1980 to me but I could well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

Something I've always been wondering about: apparently the Tour Over Europe was originally supposed to have two shows in Berlin (on July 7th and 8th), but the latter one was cancelled. Why did this happen? I vaguely recall hearing that it was due to sluggish ticket sales, which somewhat surprised me. Is this true?

Furthermore, on The Year of Led Zeppelin blog entry for the last show, someone named Greg Wilkinson claims this:

I was a Army medic stationed in Berlin back in July of 1980, and this concert wasn't on 7-7-80. It was suppose to be on that day but the concert was postponed for a week until 7-14-1980

Is this true? If so, why was it postponed a week?

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Thanks.

It looks earlier than 1980 to me but I could well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

It's quite possibly a photo-shopped image. If we do find a different Bonham shot that matches from the neck up we'll know it's a hoax.

31 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Something I've always been wondering about: apparently the Tour Over Europe was originally supposed to have two shows in Berlin (on July 7th and 8th), but the latter one was cancelled. Why did this happen? I vaguely recall hearing that it was due to sluggish ticket sales, which somewhat surprised me. Is this true?

Furthermore, on The Year of Led Zeppelin blog entry for the last show, someone named Greg Wilkinson claims this:

Is this true? If so, why was it postponed a week?

Two shows in Berlin do appear on the tour itinerary (I believe we've discussed this in the forum before...search function may reveal it) but the second show was never advertised nor were tickets ever sold for it so it's not a cancelled date so much as it is a proposed date.

Greg Wilkinson's claim that the Berlin show was performed 7/14/80 is completely false and unworthy of further comment. 

23 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.

Brilliant, thanks.

3 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

This was taken in New Orleans in Feb/March 1975, while they stayed there during some time off. I have a couple of other photos of this jam as well.

Mardi Gras?