Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

57 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Steve, wikipedia has just had added a gig supposed played in 17/10/68 at Club Lafayette in Wolverhampton. This doesn't appear on the timeline on this site. 

Is there any info in your notes about this mythical gig? I don't remember seeing it in any of the obvious sources e.g. Dave Lewis' book of Zeppelin shows etc.

A good rule of thumb is if there is no proof whatsoever to substantiate a gig claim it's bogus. Neither Sam nor I, among others, has ever heard of it. Highly unlikely they would've played their second UK date in Robert's back yard, so to speak, yet he has never mentioned it. 

I figured as much. There are a couple of dates at the Lafayette in 1969 on the official gig timeline, so I guess it's possible it was scheduled but postponed to the following year to allow more time to rehearse for the Marquee date the following evening.

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

I guess it's possible it was scheduled but postponed to the following year to allow more time to rehearse for the Marquee date the following evening.

Without any proof whatsoever to substantiate the claim they may as well suggest Led Zeppelin played on Mars that date.

4 hours ago, Klape said:

Hi steve, a little question, I guess the answer is "no" .. Did any member of Led Zep met with any member of Deep Purple ? thank you for your help as always

Richie Blackmore first met Jimmy when Jimmy was with Neil Christian and The Crusaders. Ultimately, both became session guitarists.

"That’s when I first met Pagey. I was 16 years old".

--Richie Blackmore

January 23, 1976...Robert & Bonzo attended a Deep Purple concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Bonzo reportedly ran onstage at the end of the concert and addressed the audience…"we've got a new album out soon".

December 1982...Robert and David Coverdale were  among several attendees at drummer Cozy Powell's 35th Birthday Party held at a hotel following the Whitesnake gig. David has said Robert has enjoyed his hospitality many times...unsure if any of those occasions were during David's stint with Deep Purple. 

November 16, 2004...Jimmy attended a Deep Purple concert at The Brighton Centre in Brighton, England. He was accompanied by Ross Halfin and their driver, Barry.

Picture of Robert with Ronnie James Dio and radio host Eddie Trunk.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=UqJWtbaL&id=EB28FF0C380E180639C8D7C86B289E9517FA42A6&thid=OIP.UqJWtbaL2uR-rXD0QCq_4QEsDh&q=jimmy+page+richie+blackmore+sessions&simid=608029983180524472&selectedIndex=6&ajaxhist=0

May 23, 2006...Jon Lord presenting Led Zeppelin their Polar Music Prize Lifetime Achivement Award in Stockholm, Sweden .

Edited by SteveAJones

Thank you so much Steve ! that's funny if Bonham really did went onstage haha !

I've got another little one for you, I believe Led Zeppelin were supposed to perform in Marseille (France) and Lille in 1973, but never did because of fan being very agitated. Is there any Newspaper about that ? I would have love to say Led Zeppelin perform in the city I live in (Marseille). Were they supposed to perform in the Velodrome stadium ?

15 hours ago, Klape said:

Hi steve, a little question, I guess the answer is "no" .. Did any member of Led Zep met with any member of Deep Purple ? thank you for your help as always

John Bonham was good friends with Glenn Hughes, I believe up until an incident involving Pat in the late 70s when they fell out. If you Google 'Glenn Hughes John Bonham' there's a picture of them together in 1976, looks like they're up to no good in a toilet or something (sorry, I can't seem to post it on here).

I also attended an Ian Paice drum clinic in Edinburgh in 1997 & someone in the crowd asked him about John Bonham, he said they were on good terms.
Edited by Mook

5 hours ago, Klape said:

Thank you so much Steve ! that's funny if Bonham really did went onstage haha !

I've got another little one for you, I believe Led Zeppelin were supposed to perform in Marseille (France) and Lille in 1973, but never did because of fan being very agitated. Is there any Newspaper about that ? I would have love to say Led Zeppelin perform in the city I live in (Marseille). Were they supposed to perform in the Velodrome stadium ?

Marseille (Thu, Mar 28, 1973) & Lille (Sat, March 31, 1973) were both cancelled on March 28th 1973 following transportation and security concerns (fan riots) in Lyon & Nancy, and the band returned to England. I show the band was actually arrested in Nancy (there were a total of ten people in the promoter's Volvo and they were all taken into custody and brought to the police station). L'est Republican published a negative review of the Nancy concert, but I've yet to find any press coverage on the cancellations nor confirmation of the venues. However, they were almost certainly the Stade Velodrome (Marseille) and the Palais des Sports (Lille).

7 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi Mook:) What kind of incident??

I'll need to dig out the interview but Bonham had heard that Hughes had been speaking with Pat, he turned up at a party drunk and ready to kill Hughes, I think there was a bit of a fracas and they never spoke again after that.

If memory serves me correctly, I think it was in Mick Bonham's book although I'll need to check, it might've been covered in the Trampled Underfoot book too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2008 at 8:19 AM, SteveAJones said:

Rodney's still around. Last I heard he was on the graveyard shift one night a week. They will never force him out completely; the guy's an institution. If you get the chance buy or rent 'The Mayor of the Sunset Strip', an excellent film which chronicles his life. Tales from the '70s Sunset Strip figure prominently of course. Led Zeppelin do not appear but they are mentioned. Kim Fowley says Rodney was getting more girls than Robert Plant!

:lol:

Edit: If your referring to Rodney's English Disco it closed years ago. It's a Kung Fu school now and it's featured in the film...then and now.

As far as Deep Purple and any members of Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure I remember reading some years back that Page & Plant were asked by Deep Purple (current lineup) to join them on stage for a song at one of their concerts on the spur of the moment, but they declined. Isn't this correct?

Edited by luvlz2

10 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

As far as Deep Purple and any members of Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure I remember reading some years back that Page & Plant were asked by Deep Purple (current lineup) to join them on stage for a song at one of their concerts on the spur of the moment, but they declined. Isn't this correct?

Sorry, I have no recollection of that at all.

SAJ - Has it ever come up why Robert Plant was so against the medley and jam in Whole Lotta Love in LZ's latter years?

Of all the excesses that a Led Zeppelin live could have, I never thought this was one of them. I never thought it grew stale unlike the D&C jam, nor did it go on too long and be the bloated excess that No Quarter, Moby Dick and WS/BM and noise solo often were. I thought it paid homage to their influences in a very joyful way and really highlighted what an unstoppable unit they were on stage.

Where is the 1977 Opryland Productions video camera photo from? The Seattle '77 camera has a different logo from what I can tell, other photos show no logo on the Seattle cameras, so I'm guessing its one from Pontiac? :huh: Surely they weren't all handhelds for a gig of such magnitude. Both of the ones below show a rectangular logo, no curved line or mandolin like Opryland's. Worth noting Jimmy is on his knees in the first shot in question, which is why it looks odd.

goodoleopry.jpg

seattle_preshow.jpg

seattle_midshow.jpg

seattle_kashmir.jpg

Edited by Dirty Work

On 6/9/2017 at 9:21 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

SAJ

you have anything on this please?  Thank you.

jb.jpg

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

Yes think its a small set he bought. Idk but I hurd it.

Few more to confirm the Seattle or Pontiac photos, two more I haven't seen until recently.

And one conspiracy theory, 8/7/71 ;), which is most likely an optical allusion and not a video camera, BUT other photos show the guy with what kinda looks like a large camera, and he's in almost every other photo from that show. I bet he has some amazing photographs. Besides theres rumors of 1970 and 1971 Montreux being recorded. ^_^

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old hyde farm. The drying rags are probably what he used to clean the bike. The pic has a very 1970/ 1971 look about it.

OT, but looks like he's using a matched grip?!

• Administrators
20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

In the Timeline:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/november-2-1969

While in Toronto, John Bonham picks up a miniature set of drums for his three year old son Jason: "I've bought him a great set of miniature drums. It's an absolutely perfect replica down to the bass drum pedal and hi-hat. Even I can play them. They are Japanese made and I saw them in a shop in Toronto. They weren't really for sale and were just on display. But I offered them a hundred dollars and bought them." (M.M., Dec. 1969)

8 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old hyde farm. The drying rags are probably what he used to clean the bike. The pic has a very 1970/ 1971 look about it.

OT, but looks like he's using a matched grip?!

It's traditional grip he's using and to my eyes that looks like a 1972 hair cut.