Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Steve - Have you heard any rumours of the Page & Plant recordings being re-issued on vinyl? The complete Unledded would fit very nicely on a double album.

Hello tyler19...that's a new one...haven't heard anything on that. 

My follow-up email yielded this inconclusive response:

Based on the fact that Bill Collins had the listing as the New Yardbirds, it is likely that this German gig was booked over a year in advance (maybe summer of 1968), and since we know after the fact that Led Zeppelin played no concerts in September 1969, we must assume that Led Zeppelin backed out of their obligation some time in 1969 after their popularity soared and their tour schedules changed.

Why can't people just admit when they're wrong? Sometimes I think this is just a Badfinger publicity stunt.

I highly doubt it was a publicity stunt. It's buried in their concert history pages. They didn't shout it out. I was just going through their listings and happened to see it. I don't doubt the sincerity of it just whether it actually happened, or whether the date was correct. It came from their manager's diaries, so it's a written artifact from the time. 

Edited by thozil
typo

I highly doubt it was a publicity stunt. It's buried in their concert history pages. They didn't shout it out. I was just going through their listings and happened to see it. I don't doubt the sincerity of it just whether it actually happened, or whether the date was correct. It came from their manager's diaries, so it's a written artifact from the time. 

Can you imagine Grant booking a gig in Wuppertal, Germany a year in advance, as The New Yardbirds? Or ever? I can't. It definitely did not happen, as Jimmy & Charlotte were on holiday together (Spain, etc.) for nearly a month around that time. 

Whatever happened to the story --- Robert Plant Finds Unreleased Led Zeppelin Tapes, John Paul Jones Doesn’t Want Some Tracks Released

http://wcbsfm.cbslocal.com/2013/10/21/robert-plant-finds-unreleased-led-zeppelin-tapes-john-paul-jones-doesnt-want-some-tracks-released/

I just stumbled across this article, but did not know the Tapes were baked and that JPJ did not want some tracks released.

It also says some recordings have JPJ singing and some with Robert not singing...someone else ?  It hints multiple spools, but have yet to hear any more details regarding this

It also says some recordings have JPJ singing and some with Robert not singing...someone else ?  

The article says that John Paul Jones is the "someone else" who was singing.

"Most interesting is the fact that Plant doesn’t sing on all of the tracks on these recently uncovered tapes.

“I’m desperately trying to get this one track, or the two tracks, of John Paul Jones singing lead,” he said, elaborating that John Paul Jones has no desire for them to be released. "

I haven't listened to the interview this article refers to, but here's the link to it:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jv69b

Doesn't JPJ sing backup on Battle of Evermore on '77 Tour ??   Could JPJ have any objection to any '77 live release if maybe JPJ does not like hearing his voice on that ?

Yes, John Paul Jones sings the verses on "Battle of Evermore" that were originally sung by Sandy Denny on the studio version.  I remember reading somewhere that when it came time to play "Battle" in the acoustic set on the 1977 tour, John Paul Jones said something to the effect that the others said "We'll just get Jonesy to do it" and that's what happened.   

I do not know if you are familiar with this or not, but on John Paul Jones' second studio album, The Thunderthief, Jonesy sings on most of the tracks on that.  (His first solo album, Zooma, is all-instrumental). 

I've never really heard JPJ sing, so odd but cool.    Yesterday I saw a video of him singing Tangerine or something, but can't find the video.   Was really good

Found it, was That's The Way

Haven't you heard the 1977 live versions of Battle of Evermore? If not, consider yourself lucky. :lol:

He also sung a few songs on his solo album, The Thunderthief. 

Edited by Sathington Willoughby

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a mystery but more of a question: 

According to Richard Cole and Richard Trubo, Richard Cole states that Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, Peter Grant and Richard Cole, in Frankfurt, Germany in 1970 after a gig went to a bar and proceeded to consume over a 4 hour period, 120  slivovitzes plus 160 beers-a total of 280 drinks among the six of them. 

I really do not think that this and that amount of alcohol consumption by anyone in their mid to early twenties is humanly possible.  In essence, alcohol is a poison and drinking that amount of alcohol at such a young age (even for the likes of Led Zeppelin) in 1970 could not be possible without "alcohol poisoning" or "death". 

And this is way before Led Zeppelin and their entourage really began to become enamored with a Cocaine. 

Fast forward to September 24, 1980 and the "accidental suicide" of John Bonham.  However, according to the official British coroners report, Bonzo died from swelling of the lungs due to suffocating on his own... you know what. 

It was also stated that John Bonham died due to the inhalation of over 40 measures of Vodka in over a 12 hour period. 

Edited by kingzoso

This is not a mystery but more of a question: 

According to Richard Cole and Richard Trubo, Richard Cole states that Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, Peter Grant and Richard Cole, in Frankfurt, Germany in 1970 after a gig went to a bar and proceeded to consume over a 4 hour period, 120  slivovitzes plus 160 beers-a total of 280 drinks among the six of them. 

I really do not think that this and that amount of alcohol consumption by anyone in their mid to early twenties is humanly possible.  In essence, alcohol is a poison and drinking that amount of alcohol at such a young age (even for the likes of Led Zeppelin) in 1970 could not be possible without "alcohol poisoning" or "death". 

And this is way before Led Zeppelin and their entourage really began to become enamored with a Cocaine. 

Fast forward to September 24, 1980 and the "accidental suicide" of John Bonham.  However, according to the official British coroners report, Bonzo died from swelling of the lungs due to suffocating on his own... you know what. 

It was also stated that John Bonham died due to the inhalation of over 40 measures of Vodka in over a 12 hour period. 

I would agree that Richard Cole's account of that particular binge seems exaggerated, if that is your question.

A question about the US test pressing LP for the first LZ album.  A friend asserts he had one in 1969 and it had slightly different mixes on it.  

He let a label rep borrow it but of course, never saw it again.  Has there ever been confirmation of this pressing with different mixes. (organ mixed up on Communication Breakdown being the main example)?

A question about the US test pressing LP for the first LZ album.  A friend asserts he had one in 1969 and it had slightly different mixes on it.  

He let a label rep borrow it but of course, never saw it again.  Has there ever been confirmation of this pressing with different mixes. (organ mixed up on Communication Breakdown being the main example)?

I always wondered about the organ during CB too. I'd LOVE to hear an "organ/keys up" version. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2013 at 8:04 AM, takamba said:

He definitely played at the General Wolfe with the Honeydrippers. I don't know the date though.

he played at the General wolfe, not sure exact date, iwas the officiak photographer at this gig and have over 200 black and white pics,

showed the pics to Robert Plant at a later date when he came to see Bo Didley in concert there and he signed a few pics i had taken there to show him.

12699090_10153896783656346_1011292559_o.jpg

On 12/11/2015 at 11:45 AM, TheGreatOne said:

I've never really heard JPJ sing, so odd but cool.    Yesterday I saw a video of him singing Tangerine or something, but can't find the video.   Was really good

Found it, was That's The Way

Not that bad...Actually I think he sings much better than Page IMO

1 hour ago, vinod said:

he played at the General wolfe, not sure exact date, iwas the officiak photographer at this gig and have over 200 black and white pics,

showed the pics to Robert Plant at a later date when he came to see Bo Didley in concert there and he signed a few pics i had taken there to show him.

12699090_10153896783656346_1011292559_o.jpg

Great first post, vinod! Quite an ice breaker. I am definitely be interested in copies of your photos if any or all should become available. Feel free to send me a PM. Thanks! 

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 9:22 AM, ledsox said:

Not to my knowledge there hasn't. Seems to me alt mixes like that would have already surfaced on bootleg or in the recent remasters series if they did in fact exist.

19 hours ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

Not that bad...Actually I think he sings much better than Page IMO

WHAAAT???? Now you take that back!!!! :duel::rant: 

LOL :lol: He-he, just kidding with you Moddey. 
:peace:

Backing vocals in the studio I thought  Jimmy was fine. However live though? 
Well half the time he wouldn't bother to sing where he was needed,  or turn
his head away from the mic, and then the best was in '77 you had him doing it 
with a cig dangling out of his mouth *
Yeah Pagey that'll turn out well for ya.*  :wacko:

I don't think Jones is horrific.....but I will say The Battle Of Evermore  definitely
NOT my cup of tea with him singing Sandy's part. Bonzo or Jimmy would be my
preference to sing over Jonesy.  Bonzo Jr.  isn't too bad though. He sang back up
on some stuff at O2.  Did a decent job i m o.

Sorry thread readers 
:blush: back to Steve's mysteries.

3 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

WHAAAT???? Now you take that back!!!! :duel::rant: 

LOL :lol: He-he, just kidding with you Moddey. 
:peace:

Backing vocals in the studio I thought  Jimmy was fine. However live though? 
Well half the time he wouldn't bother to sing where he was needed,  or turn
his head away from the mic, and then the best was in '77 you had him doing it 
with a cig dangling out of his mouth *
Yeah Pagey that'll turn out well for ya.*  :wacko:

I don't think Jones is horrific.....but I will say The Battle Of Evermore  definitely
NOT my cup of tea with him singing Sandy's part. Bonzo or Jimmy would be my
preference to sing over Jonesy.  Bonzo Jr.  isn't too bad though. He sang back up
on some stuff at O2.  Did a decent job i m o.

Sorry thread readers 
:blush: back to Steve's mysteries.

Lol... ?

Bonzo was a great backup singer, and Jason is good too.