Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SteveAJones

Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

5,629 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Mook said:

John Bonham was good friends with Glenn Hughes, I believe up until an incident involving Pat in the late 70s when they fell out.

Hi Mook:) What kind of incident??

7 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi Mook:) What kind of incident??

I'll need to dig out the interview but Bonham had heard that Hughes had been speaking with Pat, he turned up at a party drunk and ready to kill Hughes, I think there was a bit of a fracas and they never spoke again after that.

If memory serves me correctly, I think it was in Mick Bonham's book although I'll need to check, it might've been covered in the Trampled Underfoot book too.

On 3/26/2008 at 8:19 AM, SteveAJones said:

Rodney's still around. Last I heard he was on the graveyard shift one night a week. They will never force him out completely; the guy's an institution. If you get the chance buy or rent 'The Mayor of the Sunset Strip', an excellent film which chronicles his life. Tales from the '70s Sunset Strip figure prominently of course. Led Zeppelin do not appear but they are mentioned. Kim Fowley says Rodney was getting more girls than Robert Plant!

:lol:

Edit: If your referring to Rodney's English Disco it closed years ago. It's a Kung Fu school now and it's featured in the film...then and now.

Posted (edited)

As far as Deep Purple and any members of Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure I remember reading some years back that Page & Plant were asked by Deep Purple (current lineup) to join them on stage for a song at one of their concerts on the spur of the moment, but they declined. Isn't this correct?

Edited by luvlz2

10 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

As far as Deep Purple and any members of Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure I remember reading some years back that Page & Plant were asked by Deep Purple (current lineup) to join them on stage for a song at one of their concerts on the spur of the moment, but they declined. Isn't this correct?

Sorry, I have no recollection of that at all.

SAJ - Has it ever come up why Robert Plant was so against the medley and jam in Whole Lotta Love in LZ's latter years?

Of all the excesses that a Led Zeppelin live could have, I never thought this was one of them. I never thought it grew stale unlike the D&C jam, nor did it go on too long and be the bloated excess that No Quarter, Moby Dick and WS/BM and noise solo often were. I thought it paid homage to their influences in a very joyful way and really highlighted what an unstoppable unit they were on stage.

SAJ

you have anything on this please?  Thank you.

jb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Where is the 1977 Opryland Productions video camera photo from? The Seattle '77 camera has a different logo from what I can tell, other photos show no logo on the Seattle cameras, so I'm guessing its one from Pontiac? :huh: Surely they weren't all handhelds for a gig of such magnitude. Both of the ones below show a rectangular logo, no curved line or mandolin like Opryland's. Worth noting Jimmy is on his knees in the first shot in question, which is why it looks odd.

goodoleopry.jpg

seattle_preshow.jpg

seattle_midshow.jpg

seattle_kashmir.jpg

Edited by Dirty Work

Pontiac. Here's a pre-show pic with the logo on the camera:

1977-04-30 - pontiac -1 stage - drew stawin.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks! Never seen that one, good stuff man.

Edited by Dirty Work

On 6/9/2017 at 9:21 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

SAJ

jb.jpg

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

Yes think its a small set he bought. Idk but I hurd it.

Few more to confirm the Seattle or Pontiac photos, two more I haven't seen until recently.

And one conspiracy theory, 8/7/71 ;), which is most likely an optical allusion and not a video camera, BUT other photos show the guy with what kinda looks like a large camera, and he's in almost every other photo from that show. I bet he has some amazing photographs. Besides theres rumors of 1970 and 1971 Montreux being recorded. ^_^

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I seem to recall reading that Bonzo saw a mini drum kit while on the road, in a store front ...maybe Toronto?  He bought it for Jason. Though judging from the laundry hanging up, who knows where the hell that pic was taken! 

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old hyde farm. The drying rags are probably what he used to clean the bike. The pic has a very 1970/ 1971 look about it.

OT, but looks like he's using a matched grip?!

20 hours ago, porgie66 said:

In the Timeline:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/november-2-1969

While in Toronto, John Bonham picks up a miniature set of drums for his three year old son Jason: "I've bought him a great set of miniature drums. It's an absolutely perfect replica down to the bass drum pedal and hi-hat. Even I can play them. They are Japanese made and I saw them in a shop in Toronto. They weren't really for sale and were just on display. But I offered them a hundred dollars and bought them." (M.M., Dec. 1969)

8 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old hyde farm. The drying rags are probably what he used to clean the bike. The pic has a very 1970/ 1971 look about it.

OT, but looks like he's using a matched grip?!

It's traditional grip he's using and to my eyes that looks like a 1972 hair cut.

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Mook said:

It's traditional grip he's using and to my eyes that looks like a 1972 hair cut.

Actually, it's quite possibly a February '70 haircut & beard.

Image result for john bonham june 1970
Edited by Mook

On 6/9/2017 at 10:21 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

SAJ

jb.jpg

The band were each photographed at their homes in January 1970. These first appeared in Bravo magazine (Germany) in the March 1970 issue.

bravo70-zepathome_0.jpg

Found another one...

Image result for john bonham March 1970

Gotta love that pic of Plant on his bike with Strider on his lap. "Der Zeppelin ist explodiert!" Never a truer word spoken!

On 6/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, tyler19 said:

SAJ - Has it ever come up why Robert Plant was so against the medley and jam in Whole Lotta Love in LZ's latter years?

Of all the excesses that a Led Zeppelin live could have, I never thought this was one of them. I never thought it grew stale unlike the D&C jam, nor did it go on too long and be the bloated excess that No Quarter, Moby Dick and WS/BM and noise solo often were. I thought it paid homage to their influences in a very joyful way and really highlighted what an unstoppable unit they were on stage.

There was still a fair amount of jamming during Whole Lotta Love on the last tour.

19 hours ago, 76229 said:

I'd say back garden of Bonzo's place in West Hagley, before he moved to Old Hyde Farm.

Agreed, and I show the Bonham's celebrated Christmas 1969 there the month prior (shortly after moving in).

21 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

It's an absolutely perfect replica down to the bass drum pedal and hi-hat.

no hi hat in the pics...Where is it, Bonzo?

17 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

no hi hat in the pics...Where is it, Bonzo?

Not sure. Here's screenshots of Jason playing the kit... no hi hat either. 

jasonbonham_drums.jpg

Gotta be the same kit though, right? There's not two?

(great shots of Jason playing it btw)