Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

5 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

PS One more question if I may The "Studio Magik Sessions" I have has 20 hours of outtakes (Im sure you have it as well). .Was this part of the fleecing of JP's house in the 80's? I searched for it and couldnt find any info. .Plus were the SBDs of 1977 taken from this as well? 

If you'll accept a soundbite answer with regard to The Studio Magik Sessions release, it seems to me some but not all. 

http://musictravellers.blogspot.jp/2014/09/led-zeppelin-studio-magik-sessions-1968.html

With regard to the 1977 soundboards, if I'm not mistaken there are currently seven in circulation. I'm fairly certain Cleveland was among the stolen material because it was initially released on cd as early as 1989, around the same time as most if not all of the 1980 soundboards which we know for certain were among the stolen material. Other 1977 soundboards were released several years later, which seems to suggest they came form other sources (perhaps a former Showco employee, etc).

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/sourcelist.aspx?formatid=6&sort=0

CD 15 of "Studio Magik" contains some fishy stuff. That's not really 5 takes of Ten Years Gone, for example, they drop the needle on the first half of the record and call it "take one", play the end of the record ("take two") and play some of the middle ("take three") etc... Typical bootlegger nonsense. Sorry to stray, but it came up and I just sampled that disc the other night, so it was an opportunity to vent. Carry on...

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

If you'll accept a soundbite answer with regard to The Studio Magik Sessions release, it seems to me some but not all. 

http://musictravellers.blogspot.jp/2014/09/led-zeppelin-studio-magik-sessions-1968.html

With regard to the 1977 soundboards, if I'm not mistaken there are currently seven in circulation. I'm fairly certain Cleveland was among the stolen material because it was initially released on cd as early as 1989, around the same time as most if not all of the 1980 soundboards which we know for certain were among the stolen material. Other 1977 soundboards were released several years later, which seems to suggest they came form other sources (perhaps a former Showco employee, etc).

http://www.ledzeppelin-database.com/geekbaseweb/sourcelist.aspx?formatid=6&sort=0

THX SAJ

47 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

CD 15 of "Studio Magik" contains some fishy stuff. That's not really 5 takes of Ten Years Gone, for example, they drop the needle on the first half of the record and call it "take one", play the end of the record ("take two") and play some of the middle ("take three") etc... Typical bootlegger nonsense. Sorry to stray, but it came up and I just sampled that disc the other night, so it was an opportunity to vent. Carry on...

listening now to TYG on SMS to confirm . . mine doesnt do that (my friend passed it on to me). . still some incredible JP stuff within the 20 hrs. I have. . 

PS I do have it. . "like dropping a needle" 

Edited by Bozoso73

3 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

Having acquired about 700 Led Zeppelin/solo bootleg releases on vinyl, cd and dvd I burned out on them years ago, so I don't actually own a copy of Studio Magik. It's a shame if what you say is true as it detracts from what is otherwise a highly rated set. 

2 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Hi Badgeholder:)

Did you happen to get to Disc 12 song 1? 42 min. of JP . . BUT a piano take within the song (cue @ 8 min) . . 3 min of beauty. . My question if you have heard this .Is this John Paul Jones? The info SAJ sent said they arent sure in their blog who it is and figure it cant be Jimmy. . just wondering (kind of a mystery?!?:):)

THX 

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Taking a perusal though the 'Studio Magick' track listing via the above link... lo and behold, there was 'I'm Gonna Groove' recorded at Morgan Studios!!!  If that tracks was an actual studio recording, why the heck did Jimmy use an overdubbed version from the Royal Albert Hall performance on Coda...?

5 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

Taking a perusal though the 'Studio Magick' track listing via the above link... lo and behold, there was 'I'm Gonna Groove' recorded at Morgan Studios!!!  If that tracks was an actual studio recording, why the heck did Jimmy use an overdubbed version from the Royal Albert Hall performance on Coda...?

It's been suggested that it's just the "alternate Coda" mix that EVSD had already released.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:34 PM, SteveAJones said:

It's been suggested that it's just the "alternate Coda" mix that EVSD had already released.

Okay, next question (and a logical extension of the last one); was 'I'm Gonna Groove' ever actually recorded at Morgan Studios during the  LZ II sessions?

And now adding to the next logical question,  JP chose to include the Paris 69 show instead of tracks from their first album on the Reissues set. We know BIGLY, YSM etc exist as alternate takes on bootlegs. Why would Jimmy not include this material?

5 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

And now adding to the next logical question,  JP chose to include the Paris 69 show instead of tracks from their first album on the Reissues set. We know BIGLY, YSM etc exist as alternate takes on bootlegs. Why would Jimmy not include this material?

''When it came to sort of piecing all of this together through all of the albums there wasn't anything left over from 'Led Zeppelin I' where you could make a proper companion disk to it; there just wasn't because of the nature of how it was recorded and there wasn't that much that went to waste ... So the first album we didn't have anything ... So it sort of dictated the fact that it had to be a live recording and it just so happened that in my Sherlock Holmes disguise going into bootleg shops in Japan ... on the search for studio things that had been stolen and got out. So I heard this (gig), and what it was was this live show and I thought, 'Yeah, I know what that's about, it's got to be early year 69, mid 69,' but I didn't know what it was. It turned out that it was from Paris and that it had been recorded by French radio and that's it. That logged in my mind and then when we didn't have anything that would adequately cover the first album that's the thing I called in.'' -- Jimmy Page

The nine-song concert recording features seven tracks from the album, including an epic 15-minute version of “Dazed And Confused,” as well as “Heartbreaker” and “Moby Dick,” which would debut on Led Zeppelin II later that month.

23 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

''When it came to sort of piecing all of this together through all of the albums there wasn't anything left over from 'Led Zeppelin I' where you could make a proper companion disk to it; there just wasn't because of the nature of how it was recorded and there wasn't that much that went to waste ... So the first album we didn't have anything ... So it sort of dictated the fact that it had to be a live recording and it just so happened that in my Sherlock Holmes disguise going into bootleg shops in Japan ... on the search for studio things that had been stolen and got out. So I heard this (gig), and what it was was this live show and I thought, 'Yeah, I know what that's about, it's got to be early year 69, mid 69,' but I didn't know what it was. It turned out that it was from Paris and that it had been recorded by French radio and that's it. That logged in my mind and then when we didn't have anything that would adequately cover the first album that's the thing I called in.'' -- Jimmy Page

The nine-song concert recording features seven tracks from the album, including an epic 15-minute version of “Dazed And Confused,” as well as “Heartbreaker” and “Moby Dick,” which would debut on Led Zeppelin II later that month.

Ah, that makes sense. I suppose I'd read this at the time he was quoted, but it escaped me since then, somehow. And I was hoping against hope that there would be alternate tracks of HMMT, D&C and YTIGC.

I suppose the expediency with which that album was recorded didn't amount to enough material to include on the reissues. Thanks for clearing that up, Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

I haven't come across any coverage of the US '72 tour in Creem or Circus magazines, specifically.  Been checking around... Anyone seen anything  in these two publications?

I have just checked everything I either have or am aware of for 1972 -- about 130 articles -- and there is nothing whatsoever from Creem or Circus regarding the US '72 tour. There are only album reviews, a couple of short articles and reader's poll results from either of those two publications. Speculation could get interesting as to why this is. My hunch is their relationship with the press in 1972 was still sketchy on account of the generally negative reviews the third album album received in late 1970, and not having a publicist did not help. It seems neither publication began to feature them more prominently or more often until mid to late 1973.   

This is truly astounding. Was there anything even remotely like this with any other band? That is, they were crazy good, popular as fuck, reputation live was rock solid and well deserved, album sales through the roof, but STILL a major tour completely ignored by mainstream rock press.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

This is truly astounding. Was there anything even remotely like this with any other band? That is, they were crazy good, popular as fuck, reputation live was rock solid and well deserved, album sales through the roof, but STILL a major tour completely ignored by mainstream rock press.

Well, the US press arguably did not fully appreciate the band as being worthy of continuous coverage, let alone cover stories, until after they broke The Beatles concert attendance record in Tampa in May 1973. So in that respect I believe Creem and Circus were late to the party. Those two also bet on the wrong horses, so to speak, championing bands like Foghat and Grand Funk Railroad over Led Zeppelin. Hell, if you recall Led Zeppelin did not make the cover of Rolling Stone until Spring 1975, the reasons for which are well known.

Edited by SteveAJones

John Bonham Snooker Scenes in Moby Dick 

I was just reading about the John Bonham-owned drum case that was sold at auction recently. I noted with interest it says "The vendor appears in the video for The Song Remains sitting at the bar while they are playing snooker at The Conservative Club in Studley". So although John is shown in his roadster arriving at his local, this explains why it was futile for me to try to match the interior of that location to the scene in the film. Mystery solved!  

...snooker scenes begin at 0:016 of the clip below...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=MxPSwMHN&id=9D19F33737E0202C453031E22CEEB86DA9D2340A&thid=OIP.MxPSwMHN-mJyfT4ZZtYjcwEsB7&q=conservative+club+in+studley&simid=608046330205308209&mode=overlay&first=1

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/worcestershire/cutnallgreen_newinn.html

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 4:47 AM, SteveAJones said:

Well, the US press arguably did not fully appreciate the band as being worthy of continuous coverage, let alone cover stories, until after they broke The Beatles concert attendance record in Tampa in May 1973. So in that respect I believe Creem and Circus were late to the party. Those two also bet on the wrong horses, so to speak, championing bands like Foghat and Grand Funk Railroad over Led Zeppelin. Hell, if you recall Led Zeppelin did not make the cover of Rolling Stone until Spring 1975, the reasons for which are well known.

What are the "well known" reason? The band's general distaste for the media?

Am listening to 1970 Blueberry Hill. Really incredible show and great audience recording. One of my favorites. Can anyone tell me the history of the recording, the taper, the equipment, the location to the stage, the release of the recording, etc? Thanks.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:50 PM, paplbojo said:

What are the "well known" reason? The band's general distaste for the media?

Rolling Stone trashed the first album and their most prominent writers did not hold the band in high regard.

8 hours ago, Mr_K said:

Am listening to 1970 Blueberry Hill. Really incredible show and great audience recording. One of my favorites. Can anyone tell me the history of the recording, the taper, the equipment, the location to the stage, the release of the recording, etc? Thanks.

Most if not all of that information can be found here:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/tbl-september-archive-led-zeppelin-live-on-blueberry-hill-the-pioneering-bootleg-album-still-a-thrill/

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Rolling Stone trashed the first album and their most prominent writers did not hold the band in high regard.

Most if not all of that information can be found here:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/tbl-september-archive-led-zeppelin-live-on-blueberry-hill-the-pioneering-bootleg-album-still-a-thrill/

Thanks for the quick reply!

Curious: a quote from the article is  ”106 minutes and fifty three seconds of pure and alive rock as the sleeve insert put it...." I'm seeing 2:09:54 on my web site as I listen to the show. Is this a mix of the 2 bootlegs referred to in your post? PS. Sorry I didn't start a new topic on this. Thanks.

Edited by Mr_K
oops

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2008 at 5:27 AM, the-ocean87 said:

Thanks. But listen:

Eddie Van Halen told Guitar Player Magazin in 1979 the following: "....Blackmore. I once met him at the Rainbow with John Bonham when we where just playin clubs. I ran over to them an said hello, and they both locked up to me and said 'Who are you? Fuck off!'"

On 4/6/2008 at 6:06 AM, SteveAJones said:

Okay, that scenario is entirely plausible because it puts Eddie on the Sunset Strip sometime between '75-'77 while Led Zeppelin was in town, as opposed to Bonzo going out of his way to see him perform. The Rainbow was an old haunt of course, just down the road from their hotel. I'll look into trying to confirm if the Deep Purple and Zeppelin tours overlapped in LA, which would put Blackmore and Bonzo together during this time.

For what it's worth, Jimmy spent some time with Eddie in October 1991 while working on

Coverdale/Page in Vancouver. Eddie also introduced Jimmy the night Jimmy was inducted

into the Hollywood Rock Walk on Dec 7th '93. There's no bad blood between Jimmy and Eddie, although he did call Ross about 20 times when he was in LA with Jimmy in January 2004! Jimmy finally called Eddie back but it was the day he was returning to England so I don't think they ever did get together that time around.

On 4/6/2008 at 7:26 AM, SteveAJones said:

The key to solving this is to confirm when Bonzo and Blackmore were in LA at the same time between 1974-1977. I know this meeting didn't happen after '77 because John Bonham never returned to the United States after he and Dennis Sheehan accompanied Robert back to England on July 26 1977.

The possibilities (John Bonham):

Circa May 9-11 1974 (Swan Song West Coast Launch)

Circa March 10-29 1975 (1975 North American Tour)

Circa Sept/Oct 1975 (Studio sessions)

Circa Jan/Feb/Mar 1976

(Page, Plant & Bonham in town to check out local acts such as The Runaways)

Circa May 22-23 1976 (Hanging out with Bad Company)

Circa Jun 15-27 1977 (1977 North American Tour)

* Note: Zep's Sept 6th 1975 concert at Rose Bowl in Pasadena was postoned on

August 8th 1975 following Plant's car crash on the island of Rhodes and ultimately

cancelled. Perhaps Eddie Van Halen held a ticket? :lol:

Confirmation from Michael Anthony (via Jason Bonham) that Alex Van Halen attempted to meet John Bonham at The Rainbow towards the end of the clip below:

• 2 weeks later...