Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

A couple of "mysteries" for Steve A. Jones (and, no I don't know the answers)

1. When Zep were in NYC, where (name of restaurant/bar) did they dine in the East Village? In the late '60s - early '70s (pre-TSRTS era), one could see rockers there.

2. Where did Zep go when they went up to Harlem to go to the clubs?

Thanks.

Those ARE mysteries to me to. This is all I've got:

Oct 20 1969 Led Zeppelin attended The Who's Fillmore East after-show party hosted

by Bill Graham at Max's Kansas City.

June 11 1972 They attended Paul Gurvitz' show at The Bitter End.

June 11 1972 Having left The Bitter End, they went to Nobody's in Greenwich Village.

They performed vocal renditions of 'Blue Moon' and 'Roll A Bowl'. From what I've been told, Nobody's was a favored haunt for British musicians.

February 1975 Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones were both staying at The Plaza

Hotel. On an off night, Jimmy, Robert, Bonzo, Richard Cole, Mick & Ronnie went out to

a club in Harlem.

I also seem to recall they frequented The Steve Paul Scene at 301 West 46th Street.

They were scheduled to perform there February 3-6 1969 but those were cancelled to allow John Bonham to return to England, where young Jason had received stitches.

Edited by SteveAJones

As outlined below, there were very few instrumental 'Stairway to Heaven' performances

during the ARMS Benefit concerts. Note the second performance in London was actually a benefit for The Prince's Trust, but featured the same performers as the previous night.

Robert did not attend either of Jimmy's performances in London London, as he was performing in Austin and Houston Texas on those nights. He did not attend any of his performances in the US as his tour had moved on from there to England.

However, he and Jimmy did reunite for a jam on 'Treat Her Right' during Robert's encore at the Hammersmith Odeon on December 13th 1983.

September 20 1983 London, England Royal Albert Hall Kensington Gore SW7 2AP

September 21 1983 London, England Royal Albert Hall Kensington Gore SW7 2AP

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28 1983 Dallas, TX USA Reunion Arena 777 Sports Street 75207

November 29 1983 Dallas, TX USA Reunion Arena 777 Sports Street 75207

December 1 1983 Daly City, CA USA Cow Palace 2600 Geneva Avenue 94117

December 2 1983 Daly City, CA USA Cow Palace 2600 Geneva Avenue 94117

December 3 1983 Daly City, CA USA Cow Palace 2600 Geneva Avenue 94117

December 5 1983 Inglewood, CA USA The Forum 3900 Manchester Boulevard 90306

December 6 1983 Inglewood, CA USA The Forum 3900 Manchester Boulevard 90306

December 8 1983 New York, NY USA Madison Square Garden 2 Penn Plaza 10121

December 9 1983 New York, NY USA Madison Square Garden 2 Penn Plaza 10121

Good info-but does anyone know what Percy thought about the delivery of Stairway as an instrumental?

Good info-but does anyone know what Percy thought about the delivery of Stairway as an instrumental?

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say there was no conflict as at the time they were performed in England, he was in the States and when performed in the States, he was in England. Since he wasn't there, he wouldn't have had any first-hand impressions, but certainly would not begrudge Page for instrumental performances of compositions Page wrote. They reunited in Hammersmith, which indicates there was no conflict.

On May 18th 1985 Robert Plant took his daughter Carmen to see Jimmy perform with The Firm at the NEC in Birmingham. Robert Plant wept.

Those ARE mysteries to me to. This is all I've got:

Oct 20 1969 Led Zeppelin attended The Who's Fillmore East after-show party hosted

by Bill Graham at Max's Kansas City.

June 11 1972 They attended Paul Gurvitz' show at The Bitter End.

June 11 1972 Having left The Bitter End, they went to Nobody's in Greenwich Village.

They performed vocal renditions of 'Blue Moon' and 'Roll A Bowl'. From what I've been told, Nobody's was a favored haunt for British musicians.

February 1975 Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones were both staying at The Plaza

Hotel. On an off night, Jimmy, Robert, Bonzo, Richard Cole, Mick & Ronnie went out to

a club in Harlem.

I also seem to recall they frequented The Steve Paul Scene at 301 West 46th Street.

They were scheduled to perform there February 3-6 1969 but those were cancelled to allow John Bonham to return to England, where young Jason had received stitches.

Thanks! Yes, Nobody's was one of the places that I was trying to remember. I also remember the stay at the Plaza in Feb. '75 but was curious about the name and location of the Harlem club.

Great info! :beer:

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say there was no conflict as at the time they were performed in England, he was in the States and when performed in the States, he was in England. Since he wasn't there, he wouldn't have had any first-hand impressions, but certainly would not begrudge Page for instrumental performances of compositions Page wrote. They reunited in Hammersmith, which indicates there was no conflict.

On May 18th 1985 Robert Plant took his daughter Carmen to see Jimmy perform with The Firm at the NEC in Birmingham. Robert Plant wept.

I remember the radio interview...." I wept..I honestly wept"

A bit of trivia. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page played at around the same time in Boston in 1988. There were lots of rumors that Jimmy would join the stage with Robert. I attended both shows but nothing out of the ordinary happened. I found out later that both had attended eachother's show but that was about it.

A bit of trivia. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page played at around the same time in Boston in 1988. There were lots of rumors that Jimmy would join the stage with Robert. I attended both shows but nothing out of the ordinary happened. I found out later that both had attended eachother's show but that was about it.

Just to clarify, it was Robert who attended Jimmy's show at The Centrum in Worcester, MA on October 29th 1988. Robert performed at The Centrum the following night, but

Jimmy definately wasn't there; he was playing The Spectrum in Philadelphia.

Another "mystery" question:

Why did the band members and/or Mr. Grant choose to have the '72 concerts out on Long Island rather than in NYC, at the Garden?

Performances: June 14th & 15th 1972

Peter Grant said the reason for this was because "that's where the kids live", but I can't

help but think non-availability of Madison Square Garden was also a factor. Led Zeppelin

did attend Elvis Presley's early evening performance at MSG on June 10th. Zeppelin was

using the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel as their Eastern base during this portion of their tour, flying to and from gigs.

Performances: June 14th & 15th 1972

Peter Grant said the reason for this was because "that's where the kids live", but I can't

help but think non-availability of Madison Square Garden was also a factor. Led Zeppelin

did attend Elvis Presley's early evening performance at MSG on June 10th. Zeppelin was

using the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel as their Eastern base during this portion of their tour, flying to and from gigs.

Thanks. As gracious as Mr. Grant sounds in that quote, I do think that the Coliseum was chosen because of the Elvis concert. The kids lived all over the tri-state area and the Garden was more accessible to kids from Jersey, CT, "upstate", and the boroughs. I remember their NYC and LA bases well (those were pre-Starship days too) - and the logistics of getting everyone and everything from the city out to Long Island and back again. All that said, those concerts were two of the best I've attended.

Just to clarify, it was Robert who attended Jimmy's show at The Centrum in Worcester, MA on October 29th 1988. Robert performed at The Centrum the following night, but

Jimmy definately wasn't there; he was playing The Spectrum in Philadelphia.

Your Kung Fu is better than mine, grasshopper.

RE: HOTH Cover

From Q (UK) Magazine's Led Zeppelin Special (2003).

Quote;

Two ideas appealed to the band. The first was to draw Jimmy Pages's 'zoso' symbol on the Nazca Plains in Peru (Pity they didn't you could have seen it on Google Earth! - Sam). The second was to recreate the finale to Powell and Thorgerson's favourite book at the time, Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End"

Aubrey "Po" Powell: "At the end of the book all of earth's children gather to be taken off into space. I suggested we take a family to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland and photograph them climbing the octagonal steps there so it looked like they were climbing up to be taken away"

/Quote

Apparently Plant suggested the other end of the Causeway at Staffa in Scotland but despite the then active Troubles in Northern Ireland the decision was taken to go there instead of Scotland and involved run-ins with border guards who according to Powell, "Weren't happy with us moving about".

Funnily enough the same article refers to the choice of children, Stefan and Samantha Gates who Powell had worked with on a Japanese photographers version of Alice in Wonderland being picked "Because they looked like Midwich cuckoos"! The children were painted gold and silver every morning but in the end the shots used were all black and whites which were then hand coloured.

Samantha Gates also appears on the back of Presence as the ringlet haired girl in the 'Schoolteacher' photo.

Zeppelin Mystery: When did the tide turn?

I have been pondering the '72 Coliseum concerts and, as part of that, visited the timeline. I found Christgau's review http://ledzeppelin.com/show/june-14-1972 and read:

Led Zeppelin attracts a rougher, less affluent and self-righteous crowd than the country-flavored bands that dominate rock these days. For some reason, this crowd gets off not only on the kinky textures of Led Zep’s ensemble playing, but also on displays of dubious instrumental virtuosity - Page bowing his guitar, or John Bonham clubbing his way through a 15-minute drum solo.

<cringe>

I remember that, back in the day, critics and teachers and other adults had that same image of Zep fans. I certainly felt that in school and I hated it. My question is: When, in the eyes of critics (and others) did the image of Zeppelin fans improve? Or, when did being a Zeppelin fan become respectable? Was there a point at which the tide turned?

Zeppelin Mystery: When did the tide turn?

I have been pondering the '72 Coliseum concerts and, as part of that, visited the timeline. I found Christgau's review http://ledzeppelin.com/show/june-14-1972 and read:

<cringe>

I remember that, back in the day, critics and teachers and other adults had that same image of Zep fans. I certainly felt that in school and I hated it. My question is: When, in the eyes of critics (and others) did the image of Zeppelin fans improve? Or, when did being a Zeppelin fan become respectable? Was there a point at which the tide turned?

I would suggest after Live Aid, when Philadelphia was still there in the morning. The image of Led Zeppelin fans certainly did not improve during the 70s, with their ticket

riots and what not, all of which was reported on by the media.

I would suggest after Live Aid, when Philadelphia was still there in the morning . The image of Led Zeppelin fans certainly did not improve during the 70s, with their ticket

riots and what not, all of which was reported on by the media.

:lol:

I agree with you in that I believe it was post-Zep but I was thinking that the tide might have turned a bit earlier, when Jimmy played at the ARMS concerts. Granted, the other surviving members didn't appear with him but, from what I observed of the crowd when we attended and the ovation that Jimmy received, it seemed that a large percentage of the audience were Zep fans. By then, the majority of us were in our 20's and we'd outgrown (most of) the "shenanigans" we had engaged in during the Zep years. The morning after, both of those venues were still standing.. :D

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

:lol:

I agree with you in that I believe it was post-Zep but I was thinking that the tide might have turned a bit earlier, when Jimmy played at the ARMS concerts. Granted, the other surviving members didn't appear with him but, from what I observed of the crowd when we attended and the ovation that Jimmy received, it seemed that a large percentage of the audience were Zep fans. By then, the majority of us were in our 20's and we'd outgrown (most of) the "shenanigans" we had engaged in during the Zep years. The morning after, both of those venues were still standing.. :D

Most of the US media coverage on the ARMS tour I've seen doesn't necessarily focus on

Jimmy or the fans beyond the obligatory mention that he performed well. Contrast that with Live Aid, where Led Zeppelin quite deliberately took the stage at the start of American prime time viewing for that night. Over 100,000 people in Philadelphia going nuts! A global satellite broadcast with massive media coverage before and after the event as well. Impact felt around the world. Live Aid brought them renewed acclaim.

Anyway, it's just an opinion.

We were talking about where Led Zeppelin liked to party in New York City. I just found this in Earl Wilson's column published in the June 6th 1977 Dallas Morning News:

Led Zeppelin turned up at the Studio 54 disco...it may start opening at 11 instead of 10.

Had always wondered if they ever dropped by. Naturally, we can't say for certain if all four of them went along. Studio 54 had opened at 354 West 54th Street on April 26th 1977, so

it was definately the new place to be seen. Led Zeppelin had been staying at The Plaza hotel in New York for more than a week prior to their six-night-stand at Madison Square Garden that June.

Edited by SteveAJones

And Steve,another issue...I've always thought that Robert's feelings about the band must have been hit hard when Jimmy and Jonesy didn't attend Karac's funeral(I think John Paul was incommunicado at the time,travelling across the states).Robert supposedly said to Bonzo that perhaps they(Page and jones)weren't as good friends with him as he had thought and that maybe they didn't respect him as much as he respected them.Any thoughts on this?

We were talking about where Led Zeppelin liked to party in New York City. I just found this in Earl Wilson's column published in the June 6th 1977 Dallas Morning News:

Led Zeppelin turned up at the Studio 54 disco...it may start opening at 11 instead of 10.

Had always wondered if they ever dropped by. Naturally, we can't say for certain if all four of them went along. Studio 54 had opened at 354 West 54th Street on April 26th 1977, so

it was definately the new place to be seen. Led Zeppelin had been staying at The Plaza hotel in New York for more than a week prior to their six-night-stand at Madison Square Garden that June.

I had heard the same rumors about the Zep guys stopping in at Studio 54. If they were there, I would have thought that a photo of two might have surfaced. There were many photos of celebs partying at Studio 54 during its heyday but I've never seen one of the Zep guys.

B)

the local radio station in auckland New Zealand 'radio Hauraki' had a recording console in a caravan at the february 72 gig,they recorded the entire concert and have replayed it on the air a few years ago,you could get a masters copy from them?

You would have to contact the radio station. See post #32 of this thread for how one

collector went about doing something similar in Australia.

Hey steve what ya know about all the tapes that got stolen from Jimmy's place in the mid to late 80s?

Jimmy refers to the thieves as "those two bitches" because they were two women who were staying as guests in his home at the time. They helped themselves to several of the 1980 soundboard tapes which were subsequently released by bootleggers.