The Who Thread

blackdog

Just a little while ago driving home from a friends house I listened to the entire Tommy album start to finish(he lives a long way away), what a great album and artist. You really feel like you accomplish something after listening to that whole thing start to finish, a wonderful piece of music.

It's such a life affirming piece. The concepts that exist in the story are perfect metaphors for issues that arise in human society again and again. Just a beautiful album.

As for best american band and country rock they happen to be: The Eagles who are great in my opinion. That do you think of the Eagles Jahfin????

Favorite American bands would probably be something like Little Feat, R.E.M., The Band (if they weren't mostly Canadian), Skynyrd, Grateful Dead, CCR, the Replacements and a few more. I'm personally not a huge fan of The Eagles which honestly has more to do with how Henley helped pave the way for overpriced, neverending "reunion" tours than anything. As far as their music is concerned I'd place The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, the Byrds, Poco, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, Pure Prairie League, Poco in others in the pioneers of "country rock" dept long before I'd ever put The Eagles in there.

Must disagree. I think Henley and Frey are great. Walsh too. I also am a fan of the Beach Boys.

I'm a Walsh fan but enjoy his solo albums and his work with The James Gang much more than anything he's ever done with The Eagles. They had their moments but they were few and far between compared to the likes of Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers who had a far more greater and substantial impact on those that would make "country rock" music in the decades to come. A large portion of The Eagles' material was mediocre MOR crap, then came the whole deal with charging $100 a ticket for a once in a lifetime reunion tour that's still going on. If they weren't a fucking joke already that pretty much sealed the deal.

I like the Beach Boys as well, just not the John Stamos and latter day era versions.

• 4 weeks later...
I love Quad too Dr Jimmy (just kidding-ever been called that before?). It is one of the greatest rock operas of all time. I love Tommy too but prefer Quad. I think that Entwistle and JPJ are the best two bass players of all time. And, Leddy, if you read this, how can you rate Squire of Yes ahead of them? Cmon! My favorite two bass songs ever are The Real Me and the Lemon Song. There should be more songs like these where the bass gets a bit more attention as an instrument. I must say that playing the bass is quite boring in comparison to the guitar. On another note, anyone know what Daltrey is up to these days? Is he married?

Dr. Jimmy is my favorite song by The Who. I was called that back when I was in my late teens. I know at one time Roger was married to a lady that had family ties to my home state CT.

Just purchased Amazing Journey with the extra 79' show in Chicago.

Hmmm...s'ok. 80% of the live footage can be seen in The Kids Are Alright, I was expecting so much more than that, but the interviews were nice.

I was most impressed however with the footage of "The High Numbers" from '64. Abso-fucking-lutley AMAZING! Unbelievable that that's what they sounded like in '64. If I were in a band currently I would KILL to get that sound! Moon was not human, from another planet. Its just mind-blowing to me that that footage is from '64. And that whole short film is just great, with those *mostly* deadpan mods, that whole party, reminds of the party scene from the Quadrophenia film.

I Love The Who. One thing that Amazing Journey does is show that hands down they were probably the best live band of their time, their frenetic chaotic energy is just unmatched by anyone, imo.

I've always maintained that if you reeled in the energy of The Who live (with Moon) and focused it you'd have Led Zeppelin. And consequently if you unbound the energy of Zep live and let it spin off in four directions you have The Who. Love 'em both dearly.

I've always maintained that if you reeled in the energy of The Who live (with Moon) and focused it you'd have Led Zeppelin. And consequently if you unbound the energy of Zep live and let it spin off in four directions you have The Who. Love 'em both dearly.

There were far more differences between the two than the drummers and 'energy'.

I Love The Who :D:D:D I was too young to see them when Keith was alive. But I got to see them twice before John Entwistle passed on and The Who was one of the greates shows I ever seen. Quadrophenia is my favorite album.

My favorite album too.I think it has been overlooked over the years because of the sucess of Tommy, and Whos Next.But Quad was a masterpiece too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003709331

The Who Mulls Next Album, Revisits Classics

who_the_02l.gif

The Who

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Who has begun mulling its next studio album, on the heels of 2006's "Endless Wire," its first new disc in 24 years. According to a post on TheWho.com from Pete Townshend, the band is considering working with producer T-Bone Burnett.

"I am hoping to come up with some songs for a more conventional Who record," Townshend wrote, adding that Burnett "is an old friend of mine."

2008 will also likely bring live shows in Japan in the fall, to coincide with the release there of the recent Who documentary "Amazing Journey." In addition, Townshend and vocalist Roger Daltrey are discussing "revisiting 'Quadrophenia' the way we did it in the '90s," the guitarist says.

Beforehand, the Who may play "some shows in the festival season this summer," Townshend says. "I would want to do that purely for fun, and I don't want to turn it into a big tour. I need to stay focused on my writing."

In other Who news, the group is planning a late summer/early fall release for DVDs chronicling two well-known shows from its archive.

The first, taped Dec. 14, 1969, at London Coliseum, boasts a complete performance of "Tommy." The second, from Dec. 15, 1977, at Kilburn State Gaumont, was filmed for use in the documentary "The Kids Are Alright" but has never been released in complete form.

The Who ROCKS!!!

[i prefer Zep by a nose]

Best album is Who's Next,same year as Zep's best,IV.

I agree with you about Who's Next. I think it is the band's best studio album. Not only did LZ IV come out at the end of '71 here are some other greats from that year (and I know I'm leaving many out):

Sticky Fingers

LA Woman

Aqualung

Pearl

Imagine

The Yes Album

The Who are a great band. I, however, have become burned out on them. I still really, really, really admire them but I never listen to them anymore.

That saying, I don't really like Tommy anymore. And I've never liked Sell Out. Damn, that album has really collected dust.

I'm more of a Who's Next/Quadrophenia kind of guy anyway, with the latter being my favorite of theirs.

"Love, Reign O'er Me" is a brilllllllliant closing track. Goosebumps.

Another retread:

I've attended almost as many Who concerts as I have Zep concerts. The difference being that, as with the Stones' concerts, The Who concerts have been spread out over 30+ years while the Zep concerts were all in the span of 3 1/2 years. I was really fortunate to have experienced the Keith Moon years.

Unfortunately, the last Who concerts for which we had tickets was canceled (last year) because of Roger Daltrey's illness. Roger Daltrey: he usually comes up #2, behind Robert Plant, on my list of favorite rock vocalists.

My favorite Who song is Baba O'Riley (a.k.a. "Teenage Wasteland"). I know it has been overplayed but it's hard to match the feeling of being in a packed stadium with thousands of Who fans singing out the lyrics at certain times. Following very closely behind, in my list of Who favorites would be "Won't Get Fooled Again" (again, something to experience live). After that, probably "My Generation". Live Who and the vibe at their concerts is fantastic.

Because of The Who, the first time that my husband and I went to London together, we took a train to Brighton so we could visit places from Quadrophenia (including the alley off East Street :ph34r: ).

My husband and I clearly remember The Who concert tragedy in Cincinnati when eleven fans were killed. It was horrific. Some of the fans who died were close to us in age. One young couple died together. They could have been us. I believe it was that Who concert tragedy which led to changes in the way in which crowds are controlled at concerts in the U.S.

I agree with you about Who's Next. I think it is the band's best studio album. Not only did LZ IV come out at the end of '71 here are some other greats from that year (and I know I'm leaving many out):

Sticky Fingers

LA Woman

Aqualung

Pearl

Imagine

The Yes Album

1971 was the best year for music,all of the above,Pink Floyd's Meddle,Thin Lizzy's self-titled debut,MOR by Black Sabbath,Fireball from Purp,it's an endless list.

P.S. I Love Baba O'Reily as well,incredible song.

My husband and I clearly remember The Who concert tragedy in Cincinnati when eleven fans were killed. It was horrific. Some of the fans who died were close to us in age. One young couple died together. They could have been us. I believe it was that Who concert tragedy which led to changes in the way in which crowds are controlled at concerts in the U.S.

It brought concert seating to national attention and changes were made but there are still General Admission shows to this day.

Local band Nantucket recorded this song about the tragedy for their Long Way To the Top album, itself a tribute to AC/DC and Bon Scott whom they had toured with prior to his passing:

Fifty more through the door

Let 'em in

Rock and roll

Twenty five push outside

Gettin' hard to control

Understand it's the end

Tragedy Ohio

Johnny was a rocker

Had a ticket for a week

Fifteen dollars

Johnny wasn't gonna miss a thing

Sally was a dreamer