The Who Thread

blackdog

I had the main meat of that album on casette for a long time, I had no idea of the actual track listing until I bought the CD in 1995.

Thanks for setting me straight.....I just haven't been able to find much about that mini-opera to like. (Rael)

No problem. I wish they did a little more in the CD liner notes to set the original track listing straight. I had to go back to the vinyl to get a reliable track listing.

Saw em a few yrs back in Chicago Robert Plant opened up for em they kicked and took names Roger Daltry was Fine looked the he had an eight pack of well defined abs. :D and sounded great and I swear I saw a piece of Petes finger tip fly off doing his signature guitar work.

Saw em a few yrs back in Chicago Robert Plant opened up for em they kicked and took names Roger Daltry was Fine looked the he had an eight pack of well defined abs. :D and sounded great and I swear I saw a piece of Petes finger tip fly off doing his signature guitar work.

It's so odd that Daltrey and Townshend look younger than Robert and Jimmy (Daltrey looked like he was 35 for years! He keeps in great shape).

It's so odd that Daltrey and Townshend look younger than Robert and Jimmy (Daltrey looked like he was 35 for years! He keeps in great shape).

Well, we're talking about one of history's most "physical" bands.....as far as Daltrey goes, his signature move in later years (other than the mic swinging) was to run in place for the majority of the show. B)  

Pete should have the right arm of a 25 year old.

Agreed, but Roger was a little weak on Baby Don't You Do It in the early days. The version from the record plant sessions on the deluxe edition of Who's Next is fucking monumental, miles better than the other versions. Put the version from odds and sods on then follow it up with the one from the deluxe edition of Who's Next, you'll see how much he improved in those few years.

I'm not sure about that.. If you bother, listen to the version I've added to myspace page, it's fucking deadly.. In my ears it can't sound better than this :D

Then again, I prefer what they did around '65-'67, then what they did 1969 and forward..

I'm not sure about that.. If you bother, listen to the version I've added to myspace page, it's fucking deadly.. In my ears it can't sound better than this :D

Then again, I prefer what they did around '65-'67, then what they did 1969 and forward..

Well I'll give that a listen, but perhaps I should clarify myself. I have Who bootleg up the ass (almost as much as I have Zeppelin) and the way Roger sang it in 1964 for example was almost like he was bored (the version I speak of can be found on the boot called "The High Numbers - Live 1964"). The version on Odds And Sods is better, but the best version in my opinion is the one from the early 70s on the deluxe edition of Who's Next.

Well I'll give that a listen, but perhaps I should clarify myself. I have Who bootleg up the ass (almost as much as I have Zeppelin) and the way Roger sang it in 1964 for example was almost like he was bored (the version I speak of can be found on the boot called "The High Numbers - Live 1964"). The version on Odds And Sods is better, but the best version in my opinion is the one from the early 70s on the deluxe edition of Who's Next.

Ok, unless I'm mistaken the one on your page is the version from Odds And Sods, which is alright, but I wouldn't say it comes close to the version from the early 70s.

Oh, and an honorable mention should be given to the version on the newly released "View From A Back Stage Pass." This version was recorded live in December of 1971, and it's definitely worth a listen. It's also the same as the live version of "Baby Don't You Do It" from the Who's Lost bootleg if anyone has it and wants a listen.

Ok, unless I'm mistaken the one on your page is the version from Odds And Sods, which is alright, but I wouldn't say it comes close to the version from the early 70s.

Yes, I think you're right, it's a demo version. But I think what makes me like it the most, is the sound. Raw and live in the studio, mono, can't be better in my opinion. I think it's a matter of taste.

Any Who fans on here? Like Zep, Beatles, Stones, I've been a Who fan also for many years.

I got a chance to see them again last year (in Atlanta) when they toured the US. Although The Who

are now "the 2", they still put on a great show and are better than most younger acts out today, IMHO.

I did get to see The Who twice before Keith Moon died (in the early 70's) and the original lineup

was amazing live. Their energy was unmatched. And yes, Pete is still doing those windmills!

Yes, right here. I'm a Who fan. I saw them in August of '04 at the Hollywood Bowl. It was the greatest show I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty. On the way home from that show I finally listened to the Tommy album in it's entirety and I feel in love with that band. Pete Townshend is a true musical genius. I think only Dylan, McCartney and Lennon are better songwriters than him. I've collected all of the Who's albums from the Who Sing My Generation to Who Are You (anything after Keith Moon's passing doesn't count)... Quadrophenia is one of my favorites, as is A Quick One and Who's Next. But Tommy will always be one of my favorites for personal reasons...

I hope everyone gets a chance to listen to and dig the Who, if only for a while. I suggest watching the Kids Are Alright and then Amazing Journey. Two great documentaries.

Agreed, but Roger was a little weak on Baby Don't You Do It in the early days. The version from the record plant sessions on the deluxe edition of Who's Next is fucking monumental, miles better than the other versions. Put the version from odds and sods on then follow it up with the one from the deluxe edition of Who's Next, you'll see how much he improved in those few years.
My favourite version of BDYDI, is the one from the B-dide of the 1972 single Join Together which so far has not been released on CD.

Probably his fingernail.I read an interview once where he said that's the first thing that happens when he does the windmill,it just "rips it right off"

(anything after Keith Moon's passing doesn't count)

I don't think you should just write those albums off. There's a handful of great songs on the two 80s Who albums and the new material released in this millennium. Here's just a short list of the songs worth listening to:

You Better You Bet

Don't Let Go The Coat

The Quiet One

Another Tricky Day

Athena

I've Known No War

Real Good Looking Boy

Old Red Wine

Man In A Purple Dress

It's Not Enough

Black Widow's Eyes

Mirror Door

Tea & Theatre

AND ESPECIALLY

Eminence Front

My favourite version of BDYDI, is the one from the B-dide of the 1972 single Join Together which so far has not been released on CD.

Isn't that version just an edited version of the one from the deluxe edition who's next? I haven't listened to my copy of the Join Together single in ages, so I'll have to go refresh my memory next chance I get.

Her man's been gone, For nigh on a year, He was due home yesterday, But he ain't here. :whistling:

I love the Rock n Roll Circus performance of this song. It was why the Circus remained unreleased for so long: the Stones were pissed that the Who upstaged them! :D

See it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUu0B63qnAI

I love the Rock n Roll Circus performance of this song. It was why the Circus remained unreleased for so long: the Stones were pissed that the Who upstaged them! :D

See it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUu0B63qnAI

For me the RnR Circus version is definitive. And who didn't upstage the Stones on that show? Mick was really unconvincing with his "Sympathy For The Devil" vocal and that was probably the best performance by the Stones on that show. The Stones have played better.

That's certainly one way to put it. :rolleyes:

Why are you rolling your eyes at me/in general ?

I do enjoy the intro that Pete gives this piece on Live at Leeds.

"Normally we feature Keith Moon singing on this one, but today, we'll just have to feature him".