The Who Thread

blackdog

Any Who fans on here? Like Zep, Beatles, Stones, I've been a Who fan also for many years.

I got a chance to see them again last year (in Atlanta) when they toured the US. Although The Who

are now "the 2", they still put on a great show and are better than most younger acts out today, IMHO.

I did get to see The Who twice before Keith Moon died (in the early 70's) and the original lineup

was amazing live. Their energy was unmatched. And yes, Pete is still doing those windmills!

The Who is one of my most favourite bands, I've been listening to 'em for a couple years now and I have all of their albums. Some of my fav's are Sell Out, Tommy and Qaudrophenia. The music they've made is great and very inovative. B)

I do hope I get The Kids Are Alright for Christmas. :rolleyes:

Here's a link to an excellent 14 minute radio interview with Pete Townsend recorded

shortly after the release of Endless Wire. Pete always gives a brutally honest take

on things. Sorry to see he can't make the rescheduled O2 gig. Anyway, here's the

link if you want to hear him discuss what it's like to keep rocking well past 60:

http://www.wcsx.com/podcast/interviews/

Love em. Saw them about a year before Entwistle died. Loudest gig I've ever been to by a LONG shot! How do Pete and Roger manage to jump around on stage for well past 2 and half hours like they're still 17? Bloody rock stars.

Anybody manage to grab any of those Deluxe Editions of their albums? I got "Live At Leeds" and "Who's Next", and as well as the extra tracks and great packaging there is a vast improvement in sound, particularly on "Who's Next". If you love that album but hate the old splatty flat mix then it comes highly recommended.

Love em. Saw them about a year before Entwistle died. Loudest gig I've ever been to by a LONG shot! How do Pete and Roger manage to jump around on stage for well past 2 and half hours like they're still 17? Bloody rock stars.

Anybody manage to grab any of those Deluxe Editions of their albums? I got "Live At Leeds" and "Who's Next", and as well as the extra tracks and great packaging there is a vast improvement in sound, particularly on "Who's Next". If you love that album but hate the old splatty flat mix then it comes highly recommended.

I have the deluxe versions of Leeds, Sell out, and Next, the extra tracks after the end of the original songlist from Who's next are particularly nice to have. I'm wearing out Baby, Don't You Do It, Water, and I Don't Even know Myself.

Great stuff!

Yes, I have all the deluxe editions: My Generation, Tommy, Live At Leeds and Who's Next.

They're all as advertised, but here's a few things buyers should know:

- Some of the tracks on the 1995 remaster of Who's Next do not appear on the deluxe edition.

- The deluxe edition of My Generation has a small omission. On the stereo version of the song "My Generation" the guitar overdubs during the bass solos are missing (and it's very noticeable). However, there is a remastered mono version at the end of the record that has these overdubs.

I have the deluxe versions of Leeds, Sell out, and Next, the extra tracks after the end of the original songlist from Who's next are particularly nice to have. I'm wearing out Baby, Don't You Do It, Water, and I Don't Even know Myself.

Great stuff!

I'm fairly sure there is not a deluxe edition of "The Who Sell Out." However, the 1995 remastered release does contain an unusually large amount of bonus tracks.

Check out www.thewho.com......................news,merchandise,forum,etc.

I joined and will be receiving "View from a Backstage Pass", a double live CD. This will

supposedly be available only here and to subscribers. We shall see.

Edited by blackdog

I'm fairly sure there is not a deluxe edition of "The Who Sell Out." However, the 1995 remastered release does contain an unusually large amount of bonus tracks.

Bonus tracks, deluxe editions, [insert marketing phrase here] It has more tracks available than the original, so I included it.

I found the additional tracks on Leeds, and Who's Next to be better than adding "Rael" to Sell out.

The stuff they did as High Numbers are great as well, I'm The Face, Zoot Suit, Baby Don't You Do It..

Agreed, but Roger was a little weak on Baby Don't You Do It in the early days. The version from the record plant sessions on the deluxe edition of Who's Next is fucking monumental, miles better than the other versions. Put the version from odds and sods on then follow it up with the one from the deluxe edition of Who's Next, you'll see how much he improved in those few years.

"Rael 1" was originally on Sell Out, but I know what you mean.

I had the main meat of that album on casette for a long time, I had no idea of the actual track listing until I bought the CD in 1995.

Thanks for setting me straight.....I just haven't been able to find much about that mini-opera to like. (Rael)

Love em. Saw them about a year before Entwistle died. Loudest gig I've ever been to by a LONG shot!

Tell me about it!

I saw them in 1981 at the now-defunct Lewisham Odeon, three or four rows from the front. Deafening barely describes it. When I left the gig, my mate started talking to me and his voice sounded an octave higher because my hearing had been so badly affected!

I've seen them 4 times in the past 18 months or so... still brilliant.

Edited by Lee