The Who Thread

blackdog

2 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Cool that they dug out a deep cut that no one has ever heard before. :rolleyes::P

Hmmm...well it was The Tonight Show - were they supposed to play "Trick of the Light"? ;):P 

What did Primus play when they were on The Tonight Show?  

12 hours ago, Walter said:

Hmmm...well it was The Tonight Show - were they supposed to play "Trick of the Light"? ;):P 

What did Primus play when they were on The Tonight Show?  

10 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

I knew you'd pull that one, when I did a search.  That's not The Tonight Show.  Did they ever make an appearance?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there actually a Who forum like this one?  THe Who was and has always been by far the superior band over Led Zeppelin in so many ways. For one they actually wrote their own music, and Pete Townshed is one of the most brilliant song writer ever.  Pete and Roger are just so much cooler than just about any of the old guys still out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22.11.2007 at 11:38 PM, blackdog said:

...in the early 70's the original lineup was amazing live. Their energy was unmatched.

I also think that The Who  in their heydays had more energy and live power than any other British Band from past & present. (In America on stage possibly Blue Cheer in their peakform in 1968 came close).

I'm especially a fan of the earlier Who  in their pre-Tommy days. My favorite Studio album of them has always been:

'The Who Sell Out' 

http://psychedelicsight.com/who-sell-out-review/               

I recommend  the original UK Mono Mix on Track records,  released in December 1967:

The Who Sell Out.jpg

Sell Out II.jpg

The Who Sell Out UK Mono 1967.jpg

Edited by Zino

On 3/15/2016 at 1:11 AM, Disco Duck said:

I was around seven years old the first time I heard The Who on the radio.  The song in question was I Can See For Miles.   I've been a fan of their music every since.  One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't see them live while Keith Moon was sill living.  In addition to all of the great music, I admire the way Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend seem to have made their peace with one another.  

Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy 8-TRACK. God Damn I loved that motherfucker.

Edited by joblo

• 1 month later...

I have to agree Rover, Who's Next was one of those iconic albums that only happen once in awhile. I have the remastered version, which includes bonus racks, Pure And Easy, & Water, & other tracks,, well worth every penny, pick it up, if you don't have it.

The Who have announced a residency in Las Vegas for this summer.

The band will play six shows at Caesars Palace starting July 29. Other scheduled dates include Aug 1, 4, 7, 9 and 11.  The dates are described as a "first run". Tickets go on sale this Friday.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-who-las-vegas-residency-2017/

3 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

The Who have announced a residency in Las Vegas for this summer.

The band will play six shows at Caesars Palace starting July 29. Other scheduled dates include Aug 1, 4, 7, 9 and 11.  The dates are described as a "first run". Tickets go on sale this Friday.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-who-las-vegas-residency-2017/

I remember Robert Plant joking in the 70's about Zeppelin "doing a Summer Season in Vegas."

• 2 weeks later...

The Who are coming to Rochester on July 16th.   If you want to call them the Who.  No Ox or Moon.  I saw them back in the day , indoors at the old Aud in Buffalo, and outdoors in Toronto.  I remember us sneaking in a huge container of Gin and tonic and had plenty to pass around.  It was a great concert.  I just saw the prices.  $68 for lawn and $218 for side stage and about $237 center stage.  The venue is not that big so its going to sell fast.  I think they went on sale today

• 11 months later...

I recently posted this video in a new thread elsewhere, and I am generally blown away by how entertaining this band was. They seem to capture a feeling that I really only previously associated with Led Zeppelin (and maybe Janis Joplin). I guess it falls along the lines of a combination between being ultimately excellent at your craft and having a passionate love for the music you are making, as well as being able to show it all off in an energetic way. The only thing that seems to be lacking here is Townshend's ability to solo, which is extremely lacking...

It's funny, everyone in the comment section of the YouTube vid is talking about Led Zeppelin, and how The Who are so much better. I don't know what it says that Led Zep are on their minds so much...!