How The West Was Won Vs The Song Remains The Same OST

Al Rock Suth

These two live albums were both realised this side of 2000 and both are amazing productions. The new version of The Song Remains The Same OST is simply amazing. Taken from the legendary concerts in MSG in New York City in 1973 the new version of the original sound track (OST) to the movie, The Song Remains The Same, is simply amazing. The other collection, How The West Was Won is amazing also covering many concerts over many years, it's all good.

How The West Was Won Tracklist:

LA Drone (Crowd Noise Intro)

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Black Dog

Over The Hills & Far Away

Since I've Been Loving You

Stairway To Heaven

Going To California

That's The Way

Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

Dazed & Confused (25 minute Medley Version)

What Is & What Should Never Be

Dancing Days

Moby Dick (20 minute Version)

Whole Lotta Love (25 minute Medley Version)

Rock N Roll

The Ocean

Bring It On Home

The Song Remains The Same tracklist

Rock N Roll

Celebration Day

Black Dog / Bring It On Home

Over The Hills & Far Away

Misty Mountain Top

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

The Song Remains The Same

Rain Song

The Ocean

Dazed & Confused (30 Minute Medley Version)

Stairway To Heaven (10 Minute Version - Best Ever!)

Moby Dick

Heartbreaker

Whole Lotta Love (15 minute Medley Version)

The two collections are a bit different, How The West Was Won (HTWWW) is a great collection of their live concerts, spanning 3 discs and 2.5 hours it's a really good set. The Medley version of Whole Lotta Live is better on that set i'd say. The Song Remains The Same (TSRTS) collection is great, the version of Stairway To Heaven is simply great and the finalae of Heartbreaker into Whole Lotta Love is amazing! Great way to end the gig. Looking forward to see what set they play in London next month, i'm pritty sure it will be getting recorded for both DVD and CD realise early next year i hope.

Zep 4 Ever !

The bootlegs of the HTWWW & TSRTS show that Page has COOKED the official versions.As the Garden tapes guy has documented.For me i don't mind this as the superb production shows Page wanted to capture Zepp live at their very best.I would like to hear comments from other forum users on whether they feel Cheated or Elated this was the outcome

I think HWTWW just edges it, but TSRTS's stunning version of No Quarter is quite simply the best thing LZ have (officially) released IMO. I think it was just that the 72 tour (especially the two nights on HTWW) wasgenerally better than the MSG 73 dates.

Of the songs that are duplicated:

Rock & Roll - TSRTS

Stairway - HWTWW

Dazed & Confused - HTWW

WLL - TSRTS

Moby Dick - HTWW

I'm going to reserve judgement on the songs on the expanded TSRTS until I get to know them abit better...

I'll take the vinyl version of TSRTS for sound quality over any of the cd's. Shirley punched the levels, then compressed them to death, taking the life out of the sound... :thumbdown: ...just like all the production of the last 15 yrs. It really chaps my ass......but what do you expect from a world that has been in decline as far as audio quality. You'd think there would be advances like w/ tv-hdtv......but NOOOOO! Friggin kids and their mp3's are sending music back into a world of sound quality comparable to mono AM radio. :angry:

Wake up and join the audiophile world! Demand more out of your music. Stop it w/ the damn mp3's!!!!!! Todays music on cd is mastered to be geared for optimum mp3 listening...and the cd's themselves get the shaft!!!

Edited by Honeydripper

I'll take the vinyl version of TSRTS for sound quality over any of the cd's. Shirley punched the levels, then compressed them to death, taking the life out of the sound... :thumbdown: ...just like all the production of the last 15 yrs. It really chaps my ass......but what do you expect from a world that has been in decline as far as audio quality. You'd think there would be advances like w/ tv-hdtv......but NOOOOO! Friggin kids and their mp3's are sending music back into a world of sound quality comparable to mono AM radio. :angry:

Wake up and join the audiophile world! Demand more out of your music. Stop it w/ the damn mp3's!!!!!! Todays music on cd is mastered to be geared for optimum mp3 listening...and the cd's themselves get the shaft!!!

Sorry to bust your bubble but there's really not much of a difference Flac's just take more space.

Sorry to bust your bubble but there's really not much of a difference Flac's just take more space.
Sorry but I notice a huge difference. Maybe you never grew up w/ vinyl, reel to reel, and a hi end audio system, but my ears can tell. It's lifeless and tiring to the ears. And the people that make the music will be the first to tell you that. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/327...mp3sound13.html

You go ahead and buy/listen less than 1/10th of what's supposed to be there. I'll pass. It's all about quick $$, not quality. :(

Edited by Honeydripper

The Rain Song live may be my favorite recording of all time, TSRTS just completely rocks.

Over the Hills and Far Away on HTWWW really documents how quickly the band can go from touch to brute force. I was really blown away the first time I heard this version. That's the Way is just fabulous as well.

I can listen to Since I've been lovin you from either recording and just get lost in it

Glad they are both available....

I'm not going to choose which one was "better", as I enjoy both, but I think its worth noting how much the band changed in just a year's time. And I don't mean that in a "Plant's voice changed" kind of way. Listen to Over The Hills from each release. Both are amazing versions, each a highlight of its own respective album. Each very different, yet equally powerful. To listen to a 25 minute Dazed from HTWWW (compared to the 6 min studio version), one might think they stretched that song out as far as it will go. Yet a year later, the song once again has a different and unique feel. It's nice to listen to bands that constantly push themselves with their live shows, always looking for their boundries.

Speak for yourself. Mp3's sound like, and are shizer. There absolutely IS a difference. A big difference too.

I'll go with How the West Was Won as the better album. What I REALLY want is the LA and Long Beach shows complete and untouched.

Edited by jdlaw

Wasn't the track "Over the Hills and Far Away" off the new TSRTS soundtrack the same as the one released on HTWWW?

I personally am a huge fan of BBC Sessions.

Peace

P.S. Moby Dick version off HTWWW kicks *** B)

No, where did you get that? It's all new. The way you can tell is Plant's vocals.

Some of the new songs in TSRTS were released on The Led Zeppelin DVD weren't they?

Well, Misty Mountain Hop and The Ocean were. Since I've Been Loving You is included, but there are certain parts that are different. And Black Dog has a huge chuck cut out of it.

OTHAFA (and, to some extent, Celebration Day) is all new.

Edited by Trashbag

I'd say of the 2 HTWWW just edges it for me, though as someone stated above I also think the BBC sessions is much better. I also prefer the Southampton 1973 Kevin Shirley mixdown boot to those 2 you ask about, it's a much more intimate show with good banter with Plant & the crowd, no Moby Dick or any excessive solo's and to me it's a stellar performance all round, and I wish it would be released officially.

Graham

I'd say of the 2 HTWWW just edges it for me, though as someone stated above I also think the BBC sessions is much better. I also prefer the Southampton 1973 Kevin Shirley mixdown boot to those 2 you ask about, it's a much more intimate show with good banter with Plant & the crowd, no Moby Dick or any excessive solo's and to me it's a stellar performance all round, and I wish it would be released officially.

Graham

IMHO, Page did'nt know where the hell he was until WLL at the Southampton gig. Dancing Days is pretty decent, but there's definitely some embarrasing moments in that show for him for the first 3/4 of it....and he'd never put the whole thing out there. How Many More Times kicks some serious ass though.