How The West Was Won Vs The Song Remains The Same OST

Al Rock Suth

Gee, this topic's question would have been perfect for Poll rocken roll....

Don't you think so.

But you're a Newbie......

(Not everyone wants to write this or that, not everyone is a "talker".... Some members may just want to give a show of hands on an either or topic like this.....Beleive it, or not !! You shoulda used the poll option, imo.)

Edited by The Rover

How the West Was Won is about a hundred times better. The Song Remains the Same is pretty lame for a Zeppelin show. I've been a huge Zeppelin fan for decades, and I've never liked that movie. I think it did more to lump the group, for people who aren't into it like we are, into that whole pompous Spinal Tap view of '70s bands than anything else. It's the closest they ever came to being boring. There are exceptions, such as the oldies medley during "Whole Lotta Love"; but for the most part, HtWWW kicks its ass on every level.

ICQYB -- Rochester's a great little town. I still have relatives up there.

"Heartbreaker" on the BBC Sessions is from the Paris Theater in London, 1971. On HtWWW, it's from Long Beach, California, 1972. Both versions rock.

You can't go wrong with either performance of the song, so you'll be set either way! Yeah, I'm in New Mexico. I don't miss all that snow up there! I guess I still think of Rochester as being small because I'm from Buffalo, which is a little larger. Or was, anyway. (I don't mean it as an insult or anything; smaller cities are usually much nicer.) I never got to see Zeppelin in concert, since I'm 35. The closest I got was seeing Page and Plant in '98. Pretty cool, although Charlie Jones' robotic drumming obviously always suffered in comparison to the real King of Rock and Roll, Bonzo.

How the West Was Won is about a hundred times better. The Song Remains the Same is pretty lame for a Zeppelin show. I've been a huge Zeppelin fan for decades, and I've never liked that movie. I think it did more to lump the group, for people who aren't into it like we are, into that whole pompous Spinal Tap view of '70s bands than anything else. It's the closest they ever came to being boring. There are exceptions, such as the oldies medley during "Whole Lotta Love"; but for the most part, HtWWW kicks its ass on every level.

ICQYB -- Rochester's a great little town. I still have relatives up there.

"Heartbreaker" on the BBC Sessions is from the Paris Theater in London, 1971. On HtWWW, it's from Long Beach, California, 1972. Both versions rock.

:huh:

Sorry gang...at least Page & Co. did put out something in their heyday...TSRTS was great...until we started to hear other shows like HTWWW. And the BBCs...all very historical. Different for each piece but just as good i think. Shame there's not a single official release of a kick ass compilation from their 80's europe tour...they were back and ready to prove themselves...more faster, heavier..oh well :(

I believe that the version of Heartbreaker from HTWWW is the best Ive ever heard. Just in case you read this post, this guy walking distance from me has a store full of used recievers and speakers, etc. Im thinking of getting a few things from him. You have alot of knowledge about this type of equip, so do you prefer any certain brand? Thinking of going with JVC reciever. Will probably pay about 1/3 what it will cost for new. Want to use my money for a new guitar but need the sound system. Old stuff lost to merciless ex's.

if you want circa 70's Try to get an old tubed reciever or amp of suitable power. Marantz, Sansui to name a few affordable brands. Macintosh if you've got a few dollars. Old speakers? JBL 100 , Altec, Cerwan Vega, Bose 901 or anything that sounds good to you. Your the one listening. I still have and listen to my old Marantz 2240 reciever, pair of ESS LS5 speakers and a Dual turntable with a Stanton 681 EEE cartridge. Still sounds great and worth any repair that might need doing

Give me RAH over both of these. Any day. All day. And twice on Sunday.

Then, if I must choose between the two chop jobs, HTWWW by a landslide over TSRTS from a performance standpoint (though TSRTS has its nostalgic place).

I completely concur. RAH and the Paris show from BBC from a concert standpoint. I was disappointed in the BBC Paris show in that they edited out all of Robert's musings. Perhaps Mandrakes is politically incorrect.

Earl's Court from HTWWW was great, though. I've heard that their 1980 Berlin show was also very good.

Sorry but I notice a huge difference. Maybe you never grew up w/ vinyl, reel to reel, and a hi end audio system, but my ears can tell. It's lifeless and tiring to the ears. And the people that make the music will be the first to tell you that. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/327...mp3sound13.html

You go ahead and buy/listen less than 1/10th of what's supposed to be there. I'll pass. It's all about quick $$, not quality. :(

FLAC is definitely better sound quality, BUT, I convert ALL of my FLACs to MP3 and put them on my iPod. I don't distribute them that way though, only FLAC.

FLAC is definitely better sound quality, BUT, I convert ALL of my FLACs to MP3 and put them on my iPod. I don't distribute them that way though, only FLAC.

Same here. I guess I've never understood the audiophile mentality when it comes to bootlegs. Studio recordings, sure I get it. But boots are by nature inferior recordings. A guy with an old 1970's cassette deck does an amateur recording full of crowd noise, the cassette is copied, then eventually dubbed to CD, which is then 30 years later posted on the internet, and people are being particular about the sound quality?? Come on. It's like putting 93 octane gas in a Pinto, it's kind of misplaced!

Hmm, that's strange. He sings the entire song in a lower (and more mellow) tone in TSRTS while in HTWWW his voice is still high and mighty.

I always thought that Plants voice sounds a bit worn out on TSRTS, like it needed a rest. Still great, but not Plant's best. He sounds better on HTWWW. I prefer TSRTS over HTWWW tho I think HTWWW is a better snapshot of the mighty Zeppelin in concert. Better vocals and everything. I suppose if I hadn't been listening to TSRTS since I was a teenager, I'd give HTWWW the nod, but I just feel more "at one" with TSRTS. Does that sound odd?

Same here. I guess I've never understood the audiophile mentality when it comes to bootlegs. Studio recordings, sure I get it. But boots are by nature inferior recordings. A guy with an old 1970's cassette deck does an amateur recording full of crowd noise, the cassette is copied, then eventually dubbed to CD, which is then 30 years later posted on the internet, and people are being particular about the sound quality?? Come on. It's like putting 93 octane gas in a Pinto, it's kind of misplaced!

Yes, but I think the comment made earlier was referring to the OFFICIAL releases of HTWWW and TSRTS which was not mastered very well for CD the first time it was done, which unfortunately was also true for other official studio releases. I think the point there was about what LZ sounded like on vinyl vs. the current CD's, which are better than the earlier CD's but don't always sound better than the old vinyls.

Part of the problem is also that poor audio compresses even more purely than good or great audio. This is the same with any digital files, pictures, video etc. The more you have noise and artifacts, the poorer the compression methods work. If you turn an audience recording with a lot of tape noise into an MP3 you'll not only kill a lot of the sound that was still left there, but you'll also create all kinds of new irritating problems with it, especially for folks that use headphones.

I prefer to listen to crappy old boots with the home theatre setup and proper volume, but my wife and kids do not always appreciate it! :-o Do we need LZ in our living room? Yes! :rolleyes:

This should have been a poll, yes and I hate these sort of "which is better" questions, you know what opinions are like. But if I'd have to vote my vote would go for HTWWW.

But don't get me wrong, I love TSRTS and I love listening to any audience recording of LZ. Too bad I never saw them live, but then they played in Scandinavia already before I was born.

But I am really thankful that they are releasing the official material, anything they let out, I'll go and buy and enjoy! (I even bought a full HD TV for TSRTS and need to get it on BlueRay or HD-DVD soon!!!)

B)

The only thing I don't like about HTWWW is the cutting of pieces here and there. Sure it's their right to do so, and I know that artists have a bad habbit of always hearing/seeing their own mistakes, which are sometimes miniscule, but for them probably very disturbing.

I quite often have to pick the Heartbrake Hotel boot, just to get in the right mood for WLL and to hear (IMHO) a great version of Slow Down, that for some reason was edited out. (Just before "I didn't say I was a millionere...") Okay, they do sound lost for a while in the end of it (they probably REALLY didn't know what they should play right then) But that and other small mistakes and naive comments were what they were, right then and there, and my got, the best rock'n'roll I ever have heard, so it sure would be great if shows like Long Beach and LA 1972 would come out as they were, unedited. Mixed yes, but please unedited...

Sorry, that's just the way I feel. I think they did great job, but still lost some moments in there.

Like the way Plant says "Good ee-vening!" and the dedicates WLL to- LA, also IMO the way it really started there (at LA) sounds so much better with a bit of feedback and Jimmy and Bonzo stretching out a bit before they hit it! You get the anticipation which is missing from the official release! :)

Cheers!

PS. Wasn't "Bouree" also edited out of the BBC and other versions of Hearbreaker? Why? Surely not a copyright/publishing issue! ;-)

Come on. It's like putting 93 octane gas in a Pinto, it's kind of misplaced!

Sorry, nothing personal, but metaphors don't always work cross-continents.

On this side of the Atlantic, people put 95 octane into Pintos and even older cars, and that's normal because that's the lowest octane you can buy in here. There used to be 92 which I put in my bike when I had one, but that was more than ten years ago...I have my flame suit on now!

Cheers! B)

HTWWW is superior to SRTS soundtrack. Page really butchered the latter, made way too many edits and it takes away from the enjoyment of the show, even with the improved sound quality. HTWWW also has edits but they aren't as damaging. Page is just too anal for his own good. And it's too bad for fans...

HTWWW is superior to SRTS soundtrack. Page really butchered the latter, made way too many edits and it takes away from the enjoyment of the show, even with the improved sound quality. HTWWW also has edits but they aren't as damaging. Page is just too anal for his own good. And it's too bad for fans...

I have my doubts as to Page's involvement on the new TSRTS release. The difference in the EDITING between the new cd release and the original is striking. I think TSRTS actually sounds better...HTWWW sounds a bit sterile. I think both HTWWW and the new TSRTS would benefit from a different producer.

Finally - yes finally, brought the updated TSRTS.

Its just a millstone this whole episode for me. Both film and soundtrack riddled with poor edits. I had hoped the shirley mix might have flattened out some of the obvious cuts.....and to a certain extent it has.

But overall my opinion hasn't changed, wished I hadn't brought it. Too many better Boots out there.

Example, the cut in D&C at 5.25.....WHAT??!!

Edited by crunged

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the moment I'd say BBC is my favourite and that the vinyl (QUIEX 200g) is far superior to the CD. having said that though, it's very hard to compare them, they're all very different and all worth listening to in their own right. I'd be interested to hear HTWWW on vinyl to compare!

I want to say I already replied to this, but here I go again! How The West Was Won was the Zep I saw in concert in 73, or close enough (can't beat being there though!) The Song Remains The Same? Same tour I saw them, but not the same Zep. They just sounded tired. I have heard boots that they sound better on. Can't speak for vinyl since I don't buy it anymore. I wish they would release HTWWW on multi channel SACD. I know it's on DVD Audio, but with mixed reviews. Since I don't own an OPPO Blu Ray player I can't buy the DVD Audio. I do have a Sony Blu Ray player that plays SACD. I have 2 discs so far, Dark Side Of The Moon and Elton Johns Mad Man Across The Water. Both are superior in every way over the CD version.

Jeff

coming from a place of enjoyment rather than audiophile crtitique:

BBC seems a natural sound, more like I am in the audience in a close proximity

TSRTS seems more of a bootleg than some bootlegs

HTWWW seems like a super cleaned up bootleg

Celebration Day however.... oh my dayum