Robert Plant thinks the concert is going to be dreadful?

It's understandable if Robert Plant is no longer interested in screaming the high notes like he used to in the 70's.

But that is LedZep's signature style - the oooh-aah, the moaning and wailing, the improvisation, the poetry. That is what LedZep fans look for, together with the heavy guitar solos.

I got the solution - he can sing the songs in lower key. Then when it comes to the screaming part -

1) turn off the stage lights

2) have some colored smoke explosions on stage

3) plug in a video clip on the wide screen above the stage of that part of the song in a

70's live concert. So that the younger audience can see what it was like.

It worked for Queen for their song Bohemian Rhapsody because the high-pitched chorus was too difficult to do.

For some of us fanatics who can't go to the concert I hope someone could plug thw WHOLE concert on youtube.

It's understandable if Robert Plant is no longer interested in screaming the high notes like he used to in the 70's.

But that is LedZep's signature style - the oooh-aah, the moaning and wailing, the improvisation, the poetry. That is what LedZep fans look for, together with the heavy guitar solos.

I got the solution - he can sing the songs in lower key. Then when it comes to the screaming part -

3) plug in a video clip on the wide screen above the stage of that part of the song in a

It worked for Queen for their song Bohemian Rhapsody because the high-pitched chorus was too difficult to do.

For some of us fanatics who can't go to the concert I hope someone could plug thw WHOLE concert on youtube.

Sorry, if that was meant to be funny.... better try again. :)

I have a better idea,

Play Led Zeppelin IV on your stereo turned all the way up, have a few drinks and whatever, and pretend that it is a Live Concert. :blink:

I'll have what ever ur drinking ;)

Well I don't think he ever "Screamed" the high notes did he? Its gonna be an amazing concert so can't see what the problem is mate.

i've heard Jimmy is insisting on tons of rehearsals....i think Robert's voice will be top notch just my opinion. Maybe not the exact screaming pitch...but as with others ie Mick Jagger who I thought sounded better in his most recent tour than in years...also Robert can too. I don't know if Robert smokes, but when Mick stopped smoking his voice improved a lot.

I think the importance is the rehearsing so they sound tight as they did in the 70's. That means they should probably be joined at the hip inseperable between now and concert time 24/7.

just my opinion.

Why is being able to scream, or to sing notes only dogs can hear, regarded as the utmost in vocal excellence?? He may not be able to sing as HIGH now--but he sings much BETTER.

Maybe he's a bat?? can only hear high frequencies. No seriously I think uv hit the nail on the head. Finally some sanity

i've heard Jimmy is insisting on tons of rehearsals....i think Robert's voice will be top notch just my opinion. Maybe not the exact screaming pitch...but as with others ie Mick Jagger who I thought sounded better in his most recent tour than in years...also Robert can too. I don't know if Robert smokes, but when Mick stopped smoking his voice improved a lot.

I think the importance is the rehearsing so they sound tight as they did in the 70's. That means they should probably be joined at the hip inseperable between now and concert time 24/7.

just my opinion.

Robert hasn't done screaming pitch for donkeys years.

His voice has changed and he obviously uses it differently now and so he should.

I have seen him 3 times this year and his voice is in damn good nick.

They will be working out how to make the tunes work and it just doesn't revolve around his voice.

I think they will be tight but loose. B)

I've seen Robert several times over the last couple of years, last time was in Taormina in July.

All I can say is that I've never heard him sounding finer and he definitely stepped up to the plate at the end of WLL, in a LZ, as opposed to a more typical RP and SS, way!

He's up for the O2 gig, no bother!

I did hear on a serious note that they are playing some some songs in a different key ? I think anyway !! But I agree with what some say and that he sings much better now days !! Although on LZ I his vocals are just incredible !

Robert will be in great form for the gig, it's Page that concerns me.

First post here. Hello!

Robert's never really stopped gigging since he left Page in '98. Unless he gets the flu, he'll be alright. Just don't expect him to sound like he did on "How The West Was Won."

That high, keening wail Plant used to have has been gone for about 35 years. He's figured out how to get along without it. He's a better singer in many ways, but don't be surprised if some of the songs performed at the O2 gig are transposed to a lower key, even if it's just a half-step lower than the album versions. Robert will be 60 next year, after all.

As far as Page's playing goes, he's basically been retired since 2000, he's coming off a freshly broken left pinky, and he's never been very good at these high-profile, one-off reunions. Live Aid, Atlantic '88, Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame were all awful, and he was the main reason they were awful. Maybe he'll be so fired up that any nerves will just go away and he'll kick ass. I hope so. We'll see...

Actually, it wasn't the high notes that kept them from doing that middle section of Bo Rhap live. It was the fact that there were too many vocal parts to try to replicate live on stage among the three of them who sang. Roger Taylor did the extremely high notes on the record, and I doubt it would have been difficult for him to hit those notes live.

And why or when did Robert say the show was going to be dreadful? I think he'll probably do just fine. :D

Why is being able to scream, or to sing notes only dogs can hear, regarded as the utmost in vocal excellence?? He may not be able to sing as HIGH now--but he sings much BETTER.

Ummm.... Ok.... that's probably the nice thing to say, but Robert would probably even tell you different. He still sings great. I'll give you that, but Robert in 1970 was GOD LIKE! Please forgive my disagreement with you, it's not meant to be argumentative, but rather a little bit more realistic.

My point is that the screams and high notes were part of Led Zeppelin and their popularity in the 70's. Robert fights with that reality and hates the comparison, but we all get old, don't we?

He still sounds great and the exaggerated flattery is unnecessary. It will be a great show!

Archived