music the band likes

Zephyrus

I suppose this is correct forum to put this in...

I know that Page and Plant both really like the blues, but I was wondering if anybody knows what they might be listening to these days. I read an interview with Page a while back that said he really likes Little Feat, and I've heard that Plant used to show up at Phish concerts on occasion (not sure how true that is). Not sure what Jones is into, I'd suspect bluegrass probably... so, just wondering if anybody knew.

Robert Plant's been into North African music for many years, which is well documented of course. Tinariwen get mentioned a lot, and Justin Adams produced their latest album.

It's ages ago now, but I know that Page and Plant were both big fans of Trans-Global Underground at one point, and they're one of my favourite ever bands. I guess the North African connection came in there again, with their singer Natacha Atlas. She did some singing with Jah Wobble, and Justin Adams was in his band at the same time. It was that sound and that connection which got me to buy some TGU in the first place. TGU with Natacha Atlas also supported Page and Plant at their Wembley Arena shows, which was a fantastic double bill for me.

I can remember Jimmy Page singing the praises of Radiohead's The Bends not long after it came out too.

I guess they're like a lot of enlightened music fans and just listen out for good stuff, whatever time period or part of the world it comes from. They always had massively diverse influences. I think it's funny on the DVD when they get asked (in about 1970 is it?) about The Beatles and Robert is really polite about them, acknowledging their huge influence on every band that came after them, and Jimmy just looks a bit confused and says, "Obviously one is aware of their music"! Neither of them appear to have given The Beatles much thought either way.

I think it's funny on the DVD when they get asked (in about 1970 is it?) about The Beatles and Robert is really polite about them, acknowledging their huge influence on every band that came after them, and Jimmy just looks a bit confused and says, "Obviously one is aware of their music"! Neither of them appear to have given The Beatles much thought either way.

:D:D:D:DB)

Cool, I didn't know that about Jimmy :D

I like some of George Jones' stuff with Tammy Wynette :ph34r:

see I grew up on george jones also ,had a wide range of music I listened to,I appriciate all kinds

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was in 1975, so I'm sure he's got other favorites now, but it's interesting to hear him talk about other musicians of the time.

PAGE: Well, let's see, we've lost the best guitarist any of us ever had and that was Hendrix. The other guitarist I started to get into died also, Clarence White. He was absolutely brilliant. Gosh. On a totally different style the control, the guy who played on the Maria Muldaur single, "Midnight at the Oasis." Amos Garrett. He's Les Paul oriented and Les Paul is the one, really. We wouldn't be anywhere if he hadn't invented the electric guitar. Another one is Elliot Randall, the guy who guested on the first Steely Dan album. He's great. Bandwise, Little Feat is my favorite American group. The only term I won't accept is "genius." The term "genius" gets used far too loosely in rock + roll. When you hear the melodic structures of what classical musicians put together and you compare it to that of a rock + roll record, there's a hell of a long way rock + roll has to go. There's a certain standard in classical music that allows the application of the term "genius," but you're treading on thin ice if you start applying it to rock & rollers. The way I see it, rock & roll is folk music. Street music. lt isn't taught in school. It has to be picked up. You don't find geniuses in street musicians, but that doesn't mean to say you can't be really good You get as much out of rock and roll artistically as you put into it. There's nobody who can't teach you. You're on your own and that's what I find so fascinating about it.

i heard a rumor that not to long ago, robert was in a bar and the red hot chilli peppers came on the radio and he freaked out saying that what they did was not music and that they sucked. anyone else here this? could just be one of those rumors....

It was actually Radiohead first. Then he said something bad about RHCP when they changed it.

I doubt that they do much listening to other bands or music. When you compose music yourself, you are usually so involved in working on your own music to be interested in anyone else's. As a guy who has tried songwriting myself. I know for a fact that you have to cut yourself off from the outside world to get an idea without copying from another artist subconsciously. And, you always have to try to write the best music that you can without worrying what the result will be. The result should inevitably be you. :D

Then of course there are so many pirate's in this business that I could be very wrong, (In the case of Led Zeppelin, I really doubt it considering how original they have always been), but artists like Mick Jagger for instance, are always listening to other acts for things they can use in their own repertoire and that is why Jagger's solo records suck out loud.

I doubt that they do much listening to other bands or music. When you compose music yourself, you are usually so involved in working on your own music to be interested in anyone else's.

Wow - strange viewpoint. Page and Plant both listen to LOADS of music and are massively addicted to it - of all kinds. Robert is hugely knowledgeable about music - Ahmet Ertegun said more so than anyone he'd ever met.

Maybe it would be appropriate to mention Jeff Buckley? Not too controversial, I hope?

Not controversial at all

mojeff.jpg

Robert likes Seasick Steve a lot.

Read something ages ago where Jimmy said his favorite solo was Steely Dan's Do It Again.

Questionable authority Wikipedia states, "Legendary Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has said that (Elliott) Randall's solo on Reelin' in the Years is his favorite guitar solo of all-time."

Denny Dias plays the awesome electric sitar solo on "Do It Again". How anyone could rock out on a huge, bulky intrument like the sitar I dunno, but that solo is blazin'.

Archived