The Allman Brothers Thread

MS1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love The Allman Brothers Band. Awesome band. My favorite lineup was the original one with Duane Allman but other lineups are good though. Duane Allman is one of the greatest guitar players of all time in my opinion and one of my favorite guitar players. He's possibly one of the greatest slide guitar players too. My favorite albums are the debut album The Allman Brothers Band, Idlewild South, At Fillmore East, Eat A Peach and Brothers And Sisters. At Fillmore East is definitely one of the greatest live albums of all time.

I like Duane Allman's other projects outside The Allman Brothers Band. One more thing I like about Duane Allman is that he reportedly composed "Layla" riff, which is one of my top favorite songs. The duet solo of "Layla" with Eric Clapton and Duane Allman sharing lead guitar is one of my favorite solos and one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Nothing else to say. One of my favorite bands.

• 1 month later...

I may have to finally pop my Xmas Jam cherry.

WARREN HAYNES PRESENTS: THE 22ND ANNUAL CHRISTMAS JAM

DECEMBER 11TH, 2010

THE ASHEVILLE CIVIC CENTER | ASHEVILLE, NC

THE INITIAL LINE-UP:

THE STEVE MILLER BAND

The Debut of THE WARREN HAYNES BAND

GREGG ALLMAN

JOHN BELL of Widespread Panic

JOHN "JOJO" HERMANN of Widespread Panic

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS

UMPHREY'S MCGEE

THE DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND

• 3 weeks later...

From the Salt Lake Tribune:

9a6fd095-bcc8-4828-ac60-65511bb0be1a.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame legend Gregg Allman will release his first solo record in 14 years on January 18.

Called Low Country Blues for the coastal Georgia region Allman calls home, the record was produced by T Bone Burnett and features Dr. John on piano, guitarist Doyle Bramhall II, and Burnett's seasoned go-to rhythm section: bassist Dennis Crouch and drummer Jay Bellerose.

The track listing for the record is:

1. Floating Bridge (Sleepy John Estes)

2. Little By Little (Junior Wells)

3. Devil Got My Woman (Skip James)

4. I Can't Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters)

5. Blind Man (Bobby Bland)

6. Just Another Rider (Gregg Allman & Warren Haynes)

7. Please Accept My Love (BB King)

8. I Believe I'll Go Back Home (Traditional)

9. Tears Tears Tears (Amos Milburn)

10. My Love is Your Love (Samuel Maghett)

11. Checking On My Baby (Otis Rush)

12. Rolling Stone (Traditional)

Edited by Jahfin

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is from The Inside Track with Graham Nash program that used to air on A & E back in the early 90s. I still have this episode along with several others stored away on VHS tapes somewhere. BTW, Part 2 of the Gregg Allman segment where he tells the story of how he avoided going into the service is nothing short of classic (and the main reason I went in search of this old episode on the YouTubes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9RNRoDlIsY&feature=related

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I realize Derek Trucks is a great player but I still have a hard time with the fact that Dickey Betts is no longer a member of the ABB. Self inflicted maybe I really don't know. Life moves on but..........tough for me to accept still without Dickey there.

I realize Derek Trucks is a great player but I still have a hard time with the fact that Dickey Betts is no longer a member of the ABB. Self inflicted maybe I really don't know. Life moves on but..........tough for me to accept still without Dickey there.

For no particular reason, I never saw the Allmans after the Shades of Two Worlds tour in the early 90s (the last with Dickey) until around three years ago when Derek had become a full time member and I must say he did a very admirable job. They're also a very different band these days, perhaps leaning more heavily in a jazz direction with Derek but still just as vital as they were with Dickey.

No Dickey Betts. No Allman Bros. I am fortunate to have seen them back in the day and I even walked into an unannounced performance by Betts at the RIT campus back in the late 70s. He was up here a couple years ago playing outdoors downtown in Party in the Park. I guess he has kind of lost his way according to some?

Stuff like this is almost like finding the Holy Grail. Great videos, the original ABB in all their glory.

One of my older brothers saw them at Maggie Valley in NC way back when. By the time I saw them for the first time in '75 in Savannah, GA Duane was obviously long gone. Even these days with Derek, they're still a force to be reckoned with. That's next to impossible to say about most any other band that's been around as long as they have.