So...How many of you guys play a guitar,bass...ect

Swamp Dog

Im sure you are better than you are saying or giving yourself credit for. What kind of guitar do you have? I wish I never sold my Gibson Les Paul. Plan to get another axe by summer. Just torn between whether to go with a Les Paul, no brainer in a way as its my favorite. But then I want a Taylor acoustic/electric because its something you can play anytime. You can take it to the park and play it and not piss anyone off that you are playing too loud. Am entertaining thoughts of forming a band but I dont think the wife is keen to the idea. I know she isnt going to go for me buying two guitars unless I hit the lottery. If I had it my way, Id have 2 Les Pauls, a 500 watt Marshall, Taylor acoustic/electric, Yamaha piano ( I can read music and used to play piano) Was forced to take lessons when i was 9 and am happy now that I was. Would take me some time to get back to where Id like to be. Used to play all the Xmas carols very well on piano. Play the guitar far better though. Havent played piano in so long now. It is true though that if you know piano it will help you with any other instrument. From a theory standpoint alone.

i have a schecter and an ibanez there on the cheaper side not high end at all and a pretty desent alvarez acoustic. also yes i would love a gibson les paul and some marshalls :thumbsup:

i have a schecter and an ibanez there on the cheaper side not high end at all and a pretty desent alvarez acoustic. also yes i would love a gibson les paul and some marshalls :thumbsup:

Im actually playing an Alavarez. Its a 1989. It is my cousin's. Im borrowing it indefinatly. She cant play it and doesnt need it back but Im sick of it and the piece of shit Epiphone I am also borrowing from a friend. I sold my Les Pauls yrs back. One i had no choice as it was defective. Traded it for an ovation. Shouldnt have sold that either. My 82 was a beauty. Was black with the cream outline. now i want to buy either a gold Les paul standard or a Taylor acoustic/electric. The wife is only going to be civil with me buying one or the other. What a choice. Lots of money. I will get one for sure just dont know which yet. Talk to you later. Play on!

Truly beautiful! The scenary and the guitars. The top one, the gold Les Paul, is it a standard or a classic? That is the guitar of my dreams. Im sure you have a Marshall to go with it?

Thank you! I'll elaborate a little more on the Les Paul.

I bought it brand new in 1996 from Guitar Center in Boston. I played well over 35 different Les Paul's in the Boston area before i found that one. It looks dark in that pic and tend to look a little more like a Honey Burst (which is it's official color) at a nightclub. It is a standard, not the 60's or anything else. i hate those necks, I much prefer the thicker neck of the standard. My neck is very, very similar to the '59 neck profile used on the new VOS models.

Here is me before I changed the pickups out @ 2 years ago? Maybe longer? Time flies! You can see the headstock of my G&L ASAT in the corner.

PJandKevin.jpg

I do have a Marshall, a JCM800 (2205) that I rarely use. It is really loud and to be honest most clubs don't require that kind of volume. It doesn't sound good until it's cranked so unless I'm playing with a really heavy band I use something else. My main live amp for years has been my 35 watt Mesa Maverick 2x12 combo. It has a very nice old school Marshall with a hint of Vox to it. Plus it breaks up early and is tube rectified which I love. You can hear a clip of it on my myspace here:PJD's MySpace Musings

The track "After All These Years" is me live with the Les Paul and the Maverick at a small club. I was playing with some hippie jam band and they basically told me to show up and solo. So All the lead stuff that sounds kind of Allman-ey is me. Fun times. The phased-out acoustic is the other guy. That was a hell of a summer! If you listen, there is a really drunk guy talking about the 'funky sound' and yelling 'nice'. He is a young billionaire who shows up to the club in pajama pants and a polo shirt. Real asshole too!

This recording is the Les Paul with the Seymour Duncan Antiquity in the Bridge position and the neck pickup out of my '71 SG in the neck. The tuning machines have been changed to Grovers. There is only so many times you can watch TSRTS and not change to grovers. The delay is courtesy of a Yamaha Magik Stomp, great pedal! If you can stand it at @ 3:40 I start hittin' the note ;)

I hope you enjoy! i haven't listened to this stuff in a while and it makes me homesick.

The other songs on there are examples of certain scales over changes i used to show my students, "August" was my attempt to show that the Lydian mode is useful.

Enjoy!

And start a band already!

P.S. I've got a mid 90's Alvarez 12 string, go Alvarez!

Found some pics that I'd stashed in the cyber world...

Me and some friends jamming at a party in Fort Worth I'm in the yellow hat,far left.

TXJamIIIBand8.jpg

Again ,me far left,yellow hat.

TXJamIIIBand9.jpg

My Les Paul...a full shot.

Picture002.jpg

All my current instruments...I've never learned much on that mandolin except a couple of C&W melodies

GUITARS006.jpg

Well, I guess I should weigh in here...

I'm primarily a guitarist and singer/writer, but I also play bass as well as keys. Even dabble in drums once in a while. I've got a Les Paul '71 vintage, a Crate Electra (LP knockoff), a Yamaha acoustic and a Yamaha electric keyboard. My main amp is an old Marshall 100w, and I also have a couple of MUCH smaller practice amps.

I manage to get the odd gig here and there with a band I've been playing with since I was 17. We'd play more frequently, but there is a distance issue. Still looking for locals with similar interests, but they're hard to find out in the boonies. <_<

Well, I guess I should weigh in here...

I'm primarily a guitarist and singer/writer, but I also play bass as well as keys. Even dabble in drums once in a while. I've got a Les Paul '71 vintage, a Crate Electra (LP knockoff), a Yamaha acoustic and a Yamaha electric keyboard. My main amp is an old Marshall 100w, and I also have a couple of MUCH smaller practice amps.

I manage to get the odd gig here and there with a band I've been playing with since I was 17. We'd play more frequently, but there is a distance issue. Still looking for locals with similar interests, but they're hard to find out in the boonies. <_<

Well its about time you got into this forum Steve. Ill fly out there and we will play the dickens out of Journey (Perry only) and the Partridge Family! :P

When a herd of moose fly out of both our asses simultaneously.

:P

At least you have a sense of humour. I think if we really did jam, the Stones and Zeppelin would be two we would never argue about. So much of the Stones stuff is in open G. Do you play Brown Suger this way? I used to play it in standard but Im convinced the Stones (Richards) plays it in open G?

At least you have a sense of humour. I think if we really did jam, the Stones and Zeppelin would be two we would never argue about. So much of the Stones stuff is in open G. Do you play Brown Suger this way? I used to play it in standard but Im convinced the Stones (Richards) plays it in open G?

We never really played BS much, but when we did it was in a standard tuning. Not sure how Keef does it, though it would be easy to find out. We leaned on more of the less played stuff. Bitch, Midnight Rambler, Travelin' Man, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Moonlight Mile...

Yep, we'd have plenty of agreeable tunes to jam on. No time to argue the differences. ;)

We never really played BS much, but when we did it was in a standard tuning. Not sure how Keef does it, though it would be easy to find out. We leaned on more of the less played stuff. Bitch, Midnight Rambler, Travelin' Man, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Moonlight Mile...

Yep, we'd have plenty of agreeable tunes to jam on. No time to argue the differences. ;)

I just messed around with Cant you Hear me Knocking last night. I used to know it. Had to look up the tab. Open G in starting in 10th fret and going down to the 7th. Like the song alot. The tab to Brown Sugar on that site Leddy posted (Mikes something or other) has it in open G starting in frets 13 and 12. (bar chords) and then down to 5th fret. It sounds good. Of course to really do it you need a sax player.

I just messed around with Cant you Hear me Knocking last night. I used to know it. Had to look up the tab. Open G in starting in 10th fret and going down to the 7th. Like the song alot. The tab to Brown Sugar on that site Leddy posted (Mikes something or other) has it in open G starting in frets 13 and 12. (bar chords) and then down to 5th fret. It sounds good. Of course to really do it you need a sax player.

Wellll...not really. The Stones themselves recorded an alternate version, using Mick Taylor's lead instead of sax. Sounds great to me. Either way rocks.

Just curious, have you ever caught a traveling band called Fred Green before? I know they play in Bend every now and again.

The name sounds familiar but I've never heard them.

They're friends of mine, we play in the same club circuit in Arizona. They are a mix of Alice in chains, Primus, and Bob Marley, and a great bunch of guys/musicians.

Archived