Drumsticks!

Jarlaxle 56

I use the Guitar Center sticks made by Vater ... I love those. 5B for me, please. Wood tip. Also, I've found that Pro Mark and Vic Firth are also lovely. I can roll with any of the above as long as they're 5B.

Sometimes I like 7A. I'm odd.

I find that nylon tips give me more bounce than the wood tips....I'm not sure why this would be, but I'll use both depending on how I feel like playing.

I would imagine it's because the shank is thinner on nylon tipped sticks and they flex more. Plastic probably does bounce a bit more on the hats and ride I would imagine....I don't know anymore as i got sick of the silly things flying off 20 years ago, and haven't tried them for even a minute since then.

I would imagine it's because the shank is thinner on nylon tipped sticks and they flex more. Plastic probably does bounce a bit more on the hats and ride I would imagine....I don't know anymore as i got sick of the silly things flying off 20 years ago, and haven't tried them for even a minute since then.

I don't really use nylon tipped ones, the ones I did use however, the sticks themselves waere not balanced - hardly any weight to them. They were horrible to use.

I find that wooden round tips are the best to use. And the bounce is all in how tight your drum heads are, unless you're playing on the ride.

I use the Guitar Center sticks made by Vater ... I love those. 5B for me, please. Wood tip. Also, I've found that Pro Mark and Vic Firth are also lovely. I can roll with any of the above as long as they're 5B.

Sometimes I like 7A. I'm odd.

I agree on the 5B-that is what I like and I don't like nylon tips- only wood. I will use any stick as long as it doesn't break easy. I am a hard hitter-but I learned from John Bonham how to do it with my wrists. :D

But if I had to say one brand-it would be Pro Mark- and they are made right here in Houston. I have been to the factory before.

I don't really use nylon tipped ones, the ones I did use however, the sticks themselves waere not balanced - hardly any weight to them. They were horrible to use.

I find that wooden round tips are the best to use. And the bounce is all in how tight your drum heads are, unless you're playing on the ride.

Hmmm...going to respectfully disagree with you there. Practice your rudiments faithfully, and also turn your sticks backwards and play single stroke rolls on the underside of your arms while you watch TV. In six weeks or so, you will be able to perform a double stroke roll on a pillow.  (Which was part of the audition for the drum corps snare line that I didn't make...I played quads :P )

Speed comes from your ring finger and pinky on the back of the stick... the only time

you should bounce a stick is on a press roll.  B)

On behalf of my drummer:

ProMark 747 Neil Peart sigs. Oak not hickory. He says the hickory shatters.

I used 2Bs when I played back in the day.

Quads eh, IGG? I played tri-toms! :lol:

He lives!!!!!!

You no answer de phone....but you are living...this is good! B)  

I played Tri's as well, but then they got new equipment and added quads.

He lives!!!!!!

You no answer de phone....but you are living...this is good! B)  

I played Tri's as well, but then they got new equipment and added quads.

Sorry about that. It's been a stressful week. It's better now tho! :beer:

Sorry about that. It's been a stressful week. It's better now tho! :beer:

Man.... I hope so!

P.S.

Tell your drummer Oak is a hard wood, Hickory is softer. Oak, like most hard things is unyielding, and more likely to shatter. Hickory whittles away, and is far more durable.

He should know this by now.....i've told him a million times. :lol:

Man.... I hope so!

P.S.

Tell your drummer Oak is a hard wood, Hickory is softer. Oak, like most hard things is unyielding, and more likely to shatter. Hickory whittles away, and is far more durable.

He should know this by now.....i've told him a million times. :lol:

:lol: True Dat.

I got a new pair today. They are a pair of Artist Series Taylor Hawkins Zildjians. Hickory, not sure of the size - probably 2Bs. So I'm happy.

:lol: True Dat.

I got a new pair today. They are a pair of Artist Series Taylor Hawkins Zildjians. Hickory, not sure of the size - probably 2Bs. So I'm happy.

A pair?  I buy blocks of six pairs, which will last me a few weeks.  :(

I'll have to check out the Taylor Hawkins, zildjians usually snap within a few songs for me, but I'm always interested in checking out new sticks.

A pair?  I buy blocks of six pairs, which will last me a few weeks.  :(

I'll have to check out the Taylor Hawkins, zildjians usually snap within a few songs for me, but I'm always interested in checking out new sticks.

Well, I don't get to use my kit as much because I have to set it up when my grandad goes out. :ph34r:

But, they have lasted 6 hours drumming so far, which was done in one day. Oh, and yea, I have plenty of pairs. I usually just buy a pair a week. They're really well balanced sticks, and they have a nice thick ball tipped end. Vic Firths are usually my favs, though.

• 1 month later...

Archived