Drumsticks!

Jarlaxle 56

I guess it depends.. I like to use Nylon Tips when it involves a lot of use out of the Ride (preferably Regal Tip 5B) but mostly I like the darker sound of wood tips. And as far as sizing goes, the 747 is a mix of 5A and 5B.

I agree with you on the nylon tips sounding better on the ride than wooden ones, however I'm not really concerned with little details like that since I'm not recording....

I don't record neither, hell, I'm only 13. But I'm a perfectionist I guess you would say.. Everything has to sound exactly right, otherwise its just bad.

OUt of curiosity, what size did Bonzo use? I knew when I was a kid but I totally forgot. :o

A size that is no longer in production..the 2A.

I wish that size was still out there... I use 2B's with my main project, and 5B's when I play in cover bands, but the 5B's are just too light.

I need to experiment with an elongated 5B I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A size that is no longer in production..the 2A.

I wish that size was still out there... I use 2B's with my main project, and 5B's when I play in cover bands, but the 5B's are just too light.

I need to experiment with an elongated 5B I guess.

But they do 2A's in this country. I even have a pair, I'll take a pic now I think of it.

But they do 2A's in this country. I even have a pair, I'll take a pic now I think of it.

I guess I shouldn't have assumed they were out of production, nearsightedness on my part! B)

I think in the U.S the equivalent stick is an elongated 5B going by various model names.

Post a Pic!

I wish I was good enough for it to make a difference... I'm kind of like a hack golfer with $2500 worth of clubs in my bag. It may look cool, but it ain't gonna make me hit any straighter!

After 40 years of playing my best Bonhamesque chops with my hands, pencils, and whatever else, after the O2 gig I got a kit and started banging away. I'm reasonably happy with what I've accomplished in a few months, but until the rudiments get steady, I'm not sure what difference using a 5A or 5B is gonna make! :blink: I'm currently using a wood tipped 5A.

I wish I was good enough for it to make a difference... I'm kind of like a hack golfer with $2500 worth of clubs in my bag. It may look cool, but it ain't gonna make me hit any straighter!

After 40 years of playing my best Bonhamesque chops with my hands, pencils, and whatever else, after the O2 gig I got a kit and started banging away. I'm reasonably happy with what I've accomplished in a few months, but until the rudiments get steady, I'm not sure what difference using a 5A or 5B is gonna make! :blink: I'm currently using a wood tipped 5A.

Stick size matters not when talking about ability.... it matters when you consider what style of music you are playing with your sticks. 5a, and 5b are perfectly suited for learning technique and rudiments.

I use 2b when the volume and style calls for it. If i try to play with 5b's with my main project (heavy groove metal) I'll go through them like a buzzsaw. With my two cover bands I use 5b's always, because of the decreased volume, and increased chops needed.

Use what you have, and when you're ready you can let your musical aspirations decide which equipment will be best.

Good luck, keep drumming!

• 2 weeks later...

5B's are it for me. Pro Marks are good, but any brand will do.

Prefer nylon tip over wood for a sharper ride cymbal sound.

I've been drumming for many years and have tried just about everything on the market.

In my youth, I used Remo 2B for a long time. I even used the ones with no tips at all for awhile. Had to replace too many cymbals, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I too find the Pro Mark 747 to be the right blend of heft and yet not too hefty. I don't have the strength to wail a 2B with any speed anymore. I did back in High School. 747s for me. In oak. IGG and I have discussed this before, but I find that hickory shatters. He feels the opposite. Different strokes. Hey, I made a funny! :P

2Bs, eh Jeff? You brute! Your heads must take some punishment! And mind the rimshots, you could lose an eye! :beer:

I too find the Pro Mark 747 to be the right blend of heft and yet not too hefty. I don't have the strength to wail a 2B with any speed anymore. I did back in High School. 747s for me. In oak. IGG and I have discussed this before, but I find that hickory shatters. He feels the opposite. Different strokes. Hey, I made a funny! :P

2Bs, eh Jeff? You brute! Your heads must take some punishment! And mind the rimshots, you could lose an eye! :beer:

I work hick'ry alot....I think the other fellow is probably right...but hey who's wrong in this situation? As long as the price of beer doesn't change, it's all good. ;)

I work hick'ry alot....I think the other fellow is probably right...but hey who's wrong in this situation? As long as the price of beer doesn't change, it's all good. ;)

Post of the year! Who else could be so diplomatic? Beers all around!!! :beer:

Archived