Guitar Strings

JimmyPageZoSo56

Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's for me :)

Super Slinkys are the shit. They're pretty cheap and I love the way they feel.

But wait...did Page seriously use them? :blink:

It is written at the back of the packing laugh.gif. Ernie Ball also had an advertisement in a music magazin in which Jimmy was mentioned using those strings.

I've used Slinkys for a number of years...great strings at a good price.

I recently bought a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel strings.

They seem to think that dipping the strings in -320 degree liquid nitrogen makes them last longer and sound better...not sure if I believe the hype, time will tell I guess.

I've used Slinkys for a number of years...great strings at a good price.

I recently bought a set of Dean Markley Blue Steel strings.

They seem to think that dipping the strings in -320 degree liquid nitrogen makes them last longer and sound better...not sure if I believe the hype, time will tell I guess.

What about acoustic? Do you think those Elixer are a rip off like I do? As much as I love playing, I hate stringing guitars.

What about acoustic? Do you think those Elixer are a rip off like I do? As much as I love playing, I hate stringing guitars.

I play electric about 85% of the time, so I do not wear out acoustic strings quickly (I use D'Addario).

I cannot speak from experience about the Elixirs, so my opinion is worthless.

I have, however, read various comments on guitar forums stating that the protective coating tends to dampen/deaden the tone somewhat.

While recognizing that individual opinions are subjective, those comments made me leary about buying the Elixirs.

I hate stringing guitars as well. I bought a couple of the cheap plastic string winders a while back and they worked great...unfortunately, I can't find either one of them now. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
In my last band I did almost 2 years of rehearsals and gigs on the same set of ernie ball's...never even bothered to carry a backup guitar or a pack of strings(I had about a dozen sets at home...lol whenever I'd go to my favorite music shop to buy picks(ironically I go thru those like crazy) they'd throw in a free pack of strings)

I like to use "Dean Markley" strings. The gaige I like to use is 10-52.. Though sometime I would like to try "Slinky's" or something around there..

I like to use "Dean Markley" strings. The gaige I like to use is 10-52.. Though sometime I would like to try "Slinky's" or something around there..

Dean Markleys in my experience sound like a million bucks for about 10 minutes(lol long enough to get them stretched) and then break

Do not buy Curt Magnum strings, I repeat, Do not buy Curt Magnum. I've has my bass for 9 years. I changed the string only 5 times. I used Dean Markley blue steel and they lasted a long time for me. I decided after 3 years to try something new. The guy at the guitar shop said these were the new rave. they were $20. as soon as i strung them up, i knew they sucked. They sound good acoustical, but they sound so bad when played through the amp. Maybe after a couple weeks they'll get better, but i have my doubts. I'm so pissed. I'm into jazz and blue's and just started to try to slap bass. SO thats why i bought new strings. The old ones were still very good, but just wanted a change.

Super Slinky's on my electric. Med-Light bronzes on my acoustic, brand varies.

Question to the electric guitarists: My guitar has a mahogany back, brazilian cherry top, and has a walnut/bubinga through-body neck with a bird's eye maple fretboard;the highs just wail and moan on like they should, but the mids are a little damp i guess cuz of the heavier walnut. What strings would you recommend to bring them up in the mix a little... Brand, metal, and gauge?

• 2 weeks later...

Used to use Super Slinkys, but I just recently moved up to Regular Slinkys with hopes of a slightly heavier sound. Dunno how much the sound changed, but I've gotten used to them already. 'Cept I can't bend quite as much. I might give Hybrids a shot for that reason. Never had any problems with strings breaking.

Aaaaand Martin Lights (I think) on my acoustic. I know it's the red box. B)

I've used Elixers on my acoustic and bass before. Hated them on the acoustic, they dampen the tone very much, and just make everything sound dull. I didn't have anything to compare them to with my bass, since they were the first set I ever used...but once I finally did change them to D'Addarios, I decided Elixers are pretty much worthless. -_-

• 2 years later...

Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, like Jimmy Page.

Oh man, I've tried all of them just about.... using D'addario's most of the time now, going to try some GHS's that I found on the web in a Medium gauge for my 12 string acoustic.

It's hard to find heaver acoustic strings (high E is a .12, low E is a .54) for a 12 string, I found them at Just Strings.com.

I'd rather use some "heavy" John Peirce string's with a high E of .13 and a low E of .58, I tried them on a few low cost guitars in the past but they ruined the neck's with all that presser, even with a truss-rod adjustment "heavy's" are hard on a guitar unless it's a solid piece of timber.

Unfortunately a guitar with that kind of beef in the neck also come's with a hefty price tag that's out of my reach right now so I don't go any heaver than a .10 or .12 on my under $500.00 guitars.

Archived