Drum techniques/advice thread.

Bonham

Ok, so by now you should know what this thread is about, fellow drummers!

So I'll start on this:

There is a little legend that John Bonham on the song 'When The Levee Breaks' plays one bass hit on the beginning of the beat, and that it sounds like two because of the echo from him playing at the botttom of a set of stairs.

Hence, this is why a lot of people play it with two bass hits instead of one to make it sound like the studio version. I'll let you in on a little secret now, though, and many of you may know it, many of you may not. The trick Bonham actually used, was a rebound techinque that's not too easy to master unless you have a strong foot (train it): After the very fist bass hit, you must quickly follow up with a very light second bass hit to echo the first. And that's how it's done! :P

Sorry if my musical tabbing isn't so good, I can't read the music, I've only played by ear my whole life, so excuse 'bass hit'. I'm not sure what the proper term for it is. :lol:

^^^

Bass note is the correct term I think

And to add to that, another technique for getting the pedal to go very fast is to slide your foot back and forth up the pedal very fast while pushing down lightly, as before, you will need to practice this a lot before you can do it consistently.

My brother plays his single bass drum pedal faster than most can play a double bass drum pedal. He has done solos and people have literally had to get on stage so that my brother can prove he isn't using a double pedal.

He uses a technique where he rolls his foot...he learnt it and perfected it from a famous drummer called Steve Smith. It is amazing to watch. Look into it.

^^^

Bass note is the correct term I think

And to add to that, another technique for getting the pedal to go very fast is to slide your foot back and forth up the pedal very fast while pushing down lightly, as before, you will need to practice this a lot before you can do it consistently.

Yes, and if you want to get even more accurate, the second, lighter stroke is called a "grace" note.

My foot stays basically at the mid-point on my BD pedal, the speed comes from playing heel up and very toned calves. :D

Yes, and if you want to get even more accurate, the second, lighter stroke is called a "grace" note.

My foot stays basically at the mid-point on my BD pedal, the speed comes from playing heel up and very toned calves. :D

Thanks for the info.

And same here, mate! :D

My brother plays his single bass drum pedal faster than most can play a double bass drum pedal. He has done solos and people have literally had to get on stage so that my brother can prove he isn't using a double pedal.

He uses a technique where he rolls his foot...he learnt it and perfected it from a famous drummer called Steve Smith. It is amazing to watch. Look into it.

Steve Smith is an amazing drummer and a great teacher. B)

Steve Smith is an amazing drummer and a great teacher. B)

My brother is 18 in February...and he has already exhausted the Steve Smith DVD he bought. We used to have drum lessons back at school...and we ended up teaching the teacher. :lol:

Since my brother stopped having lessons a couple of years ago he has got far far better. I might get him to post some techniques/advice if he has anything.

Find Bobby Rock's instructional vids(metalmorphisis, the zen of drumming)..his 4 way independence is mind blowing

I'm a guitarist and even I like to watch those...watching drum instructional vids will help you with rhythm & timing no matter what instrument you play

• 3 weeks later...
My brother is 18 in February...and he has already exhausted the Steve Smith DVD he bought. We used to have drum lessons back at school...and we ended up teaching the teacher. :lol:

Since my brother stopped having lessons a couple of years ago he has got far far better. I might get him to post some techniques/advice if he has anything.

Wow.

I wonder if he could teach me anything? I've only being playing drums for 21 years and could sure use a little help from an 18 year old..

• 5 years later...

Drums In the House Using Ambience To Enhance Your Recorded Sound.

You’ve no doubt noticed sonic changes when you play your kit in different rooms … Sometimes it’s good and, well, sometimes it’s not. But capturing the acoustic reflections of drums being played in a sweet space does most-excellent things for the recording. Room ambience plays one of the biggest roles in how natural, dry, or huge the recorded drums will sound. Since there are different situations and not all are ideal, you’ll need to be armed with a variety of approaches for getting and using room response to maximize your drum recording.

http://www.drummagazine.com/plugged-in/post/using-ambience-to-enhance-your-recorded-sound

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd kick this old thread into life again for any drummers or anyone interested.

This is one of many rhythms I've been working on lately,16th note rhythms.For any who don't understand notation,the X on top denotes the hi-hats,the note directly beneath that is the snare drum and the bottom note is the bass drum.

post-1183-0-88234500-1415330144_thumb.jp

Archived