Bron Yr Aur

MeanMrKetchup

Where did you listen to/watch them playing it in the Blueberry Hill Show?

Blueberry Hill is the title of the bootleg of their Sept 4, 1970 Los Aangeles show. Robert introduces Bron Yr Aur during the show by saying:

"This is a thing called 'Bron-Yr-Aur'. This is a name of the little cottage in the mountains of Snowdonia in Wales, and 'Bron-Yr-Aur' is the Welsh equivalent of the phrase 'Golden Breast'. This is so because of its position every morning as the sun rises and it's a really remarkable place. And so after staying there for a while and deciding it was time to leave for various reasons, we couldn't really just leave it and forget about it. You've probably all been to a place like that, only we can tell you about it and you can't tell us."

In my head I say it "Bron-ar-ee-ahr" because I think I saw somewhere an IPA spelling of it. (Probably Wikipedia <_<, and anyway, my knowledge of the IPA is from an Australian point of view, so there could be some disparity.) Also, a few months ago Classic Rock printed an interview with Robert from the 80s and he corrected the interviewer's pronunciation of it by saying "Bronnariar", different to what people have said above.

:wtf:

In my head I say it "Bron-ar-ee-ahr" because I think I saw somewhere an IPA spelling of it. (Probably Wikipedia <_<, and anyway, my knowledge of the IPA is from an Australian point of view, so there could be some disparity.) Also, a few months ago Classic Rock printed an interview with Robert from the 80s and he corrected the interviewer's pronunciation of it by saying "Bronnariar", different to what people have said above.

:wtf:

Somehow I think that Valley girl may Know the correct pronuciation. In any case why not try saying " Bronnariar" and Bron Er Higher and find a much of a difference :whistling:

Hello, It's been bugging me for a while, can anyone tell me how to pronounce Bron Yr Aur?

Thanks

hey fella try bron as you would then yr as uhr then aur as ayh'r im welsh trust me this is how you say it it means golden breast or breast of gold ok theres my good deed for the day

Even after all this elucidation I'm still confused :lol: . No matter what I do, I keep on pronouncing it 'bron-E-ore' :( . Totally pathetic, I know. Thanks for all the help though, I only have myself to blame for not being able to change a bad habit. Or maybe it's like Mrs.Wisty said, us Australians seem to insist on pronouncing it incorrectly ;)

Before I read this thread, I thought I knew how to pronounce it as well from hearing Robert at Blueberry Hill. But now, I'm in the same boat as you! Whatever the pronunciation may be, I'm sure it's no where near how Steven Tyler pronounces it on that VH1 special. I believe he says brawny rar or something to that effect! I just call it the stomp or the lovely guitar piece on disc two of Physical Graffiti!

• 5 years later...

Hello fellow Zeppelin fans... I've been wondering how to pronounce this word ever since I heard "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" on Led Zeppelin III, which would've been around 1987 for me (age 14). The other day I was talking with a friend about the pronunciation and today I finally got around to Googling it. I ended up on the wikipedia page for "Bron-Yr-Aur" (I don't know why the spelling of the song is different from that of the cottage) and it had the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) for the Welsh pronunciation.

Here's the link to that page if you want to check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_Welsh

I chose to break it down letter by letter first. B=Normal English B sound; R=The R sound but with a trill; O=The O sound as in the word gone; N=Normal English N sound; Y=The (a) sound in the word about; R=The R sound but with a trill; AU=The I sound as in the word eye; and lastly another R=The R sound but with a trill.

So, put a trill on the R's, make the O sound like the O in "gone", the Y is the schwa sound, and the last part is R-EYE-R but all one syllable (rire?) and with trills on the R's. That's just the academic, linguistic way of breaking it down. Actually pronouncing it correctly like someone who speaks proper Welsh would take some practice, I would think.

I'm sure you all know this but "Bron-Yr-Aur" was the name of the remote cottage in Wales where Page and Plant spent some time writing music with no electricity or running water. No electricity means no electric guitars which explains the existence of the acoustic material on the third album like, Tangerine, That's The Way, Gallows Pole, and of course, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp.

Here's a link to the wikipedia page on Led Zeppelin III. It explains why Page and Plant chose to rent a remote cottage as opposed to a hotel room or something like that. I really hope my post helps more than confuses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_III

• 5 years later...
  • 8 months later...